New / Old - Little Weldon

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: New / Old - Little Weldon

Postby End2end » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 pm

I almost bought a Sopwith Camel kit yesterday. :? :lol:
I missed your last post Dublo. The station realy has come alive with the lighting. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Hello all
I have been reflecting on how much Little Weldon has evolved over the course of this year. The first major item of scenery was the development and landscaping of the Locomotive Yard. This was completed at the end of January, following on from this was the painting and Cobble laying of the final sections of roadways outside Little Weldon station itself. One major direction my modelling has taken this year has been Mould making with Latex and Plaster Casting following the discovery of Linka and Scalecast, culminating in the development of Weldons castle ruin. This involved an additional triangular sub baseboard and extensive remodelling of what was to become Castle Hill.
A couple of kits has also been constructed a Bedford lorry and a Spitfire photos of both to appear in the future.
Building, platform and street lighting are now also appearing with Little Weldon Station giving Blackpool a run for its money. Various lamps and Leds are on order so that Weldon "High Street" and Station complex can be lit along with the Goods yard and Locomotive Depot.
Little Weldon has acquired to more locomotives this year Crepello and the Canadian Pacific Duchess and a further wagon has also entered service the United Glass Limited sand wagon. Five Oxford diecast road vehicles have also found their way onto Little Weldons roads.
A few days ago I found out that there is a real Little Weldon in Northamptonshire, but it has no railway.
IMG_20191217_060256_kindlephoto-217126023.jpg
IMG_20191027_164445_kindlephoto-51221355.jpg

Montfort2

Postby Montfort2 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:21 pm

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:22 pm

That's an impressive set of lights there :D - something I have not (yet?) dabbled in . . .

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:35 am

Hello all
Thankyou for your comments on Little Weldon it is all ways appreciated. PnP I have found that like many things in this wonderful hobby, once you start with lighting you want to light everything. I guess the secret is not to overdo it there is the risk that may happen on Weldon itself. I am planning on changing the room lighting as well to give a greater range of light levels.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:06 am

Hello all
One thing I like to do at this time of year is to look at Hornby Dublo catalogues, I think this must stem from childhood Christmases looking at the new Hornby catalogue. Things seemed to slow down a little at Binns Road for 1960 after 1959s flood of new items. Only two new locomotives this year 4 if you count 2 and 3 rail seperately the 08 and the Deltic. The only all plastic coaches in the range were introduced during this year the Pullman cars. Also 4 new items of rolling stock, SR four wheeled utility van, Presflo bulk cement wagon, ICI 20 ton bulk salt wagon and the lowmac. Both double and single mouth tunnels were introduced. The items which caught my eye this year though were the Illuminated Buffer stops and the Lighting kit for the range of plastic buildings. I have a boxed pair of the Buffer Stops but I have never seen the Lighting Kit.
I thought that it was somewhat of a coincidence with my recent forays into the world of lighting, moving on slightly it took me two years to get to this point. However trying to fit lighting in assembled kit buildings that were assembled without thought to this aspect can be a little difficult.
d60p01c.jpg

The cover of the 1960 Catalogue

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:49 am

Hello all
I managed to spend some time on Little Weldon over the weekend. Firstly I started casting some tiles for my next Linka build, I am planning on building a couple of 1930's Metroland "Ideal Homes" very similar to the ones that my Grandparents lived in. The Bay Window will be the most difficult part of this project I have the Scalecast mould but it is not quite what I am after. So I shall have to alter the castings somewhat, I think I shall then make a new mould of the adapted pieces.
Whilst I was waiting for the tiles to cure I carried on with the next stage of my illumination project, quite conveniently this could be carried out off the layout.
My "High Street" consists of several Superquick and Metcalfe Low Relief kits glued to a piece of Artist Mount Board which then has had my scanned pieces of Dinky toys paving glued to it. This results in a street of low relief buildings fixed onto the pavement which is then just placed on the board. So this section was soldered up sitting at the kitchen table. With just one hole being drilled through the baseboard for the wires to pass through.
The first of my latest Ebay wins arrived on Saturday too this being the Crescent Toys Signal Gantry, these models were produced during the 1950's and are made entirely of metal which compliment's the Hornby Dublo signals well.
I wish you all a Happy New Year, and all the best in your modelling endeavours.
IMG_20200106_052249.jpg
IMG_20200106_052240.jpg
IMG_20200106_052523.jpg

ackers5861

Postby ackers5861 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:26 am

Wow, those lights really make a difference to the layout. I like this a lot. I also don't know if the effect was intentional, but the seams of blue light bleeding behind the low-relief buildings create a nice level of ambience.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:39 am

Hello all
Ackers, I would like to say that the light bleeding from the roof line was intentional, but no it wasn't. If it helps with the overall picture then I shall not do anything to alter it. The next section to be worked on will be Weldon station itself this will be a major piece with its two buildings and three platforms, I shall also include the Diesel shed and Weldon North Signal box on this loop. The lighting of aspects of the layout has certainly helped to add a further dimension to it. Once I have altered the room lighting as well the layout will well and truely be seen in a new light.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi Dublo
As long as you are staying with three rail adding plenty of visual tricks (like lighting) to the scenic side helps distract from the track, or should we say increases the visual appeal. I kept my 3 rail track right up to the point where I couldn't refuse a good offer for everything and set off in a new direction only returning to 00 some twenty odd years later. I tried 3 rail flexible track at one stage, but having a full size rail section for the 3rd rail it looked far worse than Hornby's tinplate one. Trix did a better looking track, it's centre rail was anodised black but the running rails were well over scale height and didn't appeal.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am

Hello all
The illumination of Little Weldon continues with works now completed on Weldon station. The Diesel shed and Weldon North Signal Box.
IMG_20200114_061216.jpg
IMG_20200114_061247.jpg

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 am

Looking good, Dublo. Very atmospheric.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 am

Hello all
I am having a break from lighting at the moment, just the Goods and Loco yards to finish.
I have made a start on my next Linka project, this is a typical example of a 1930's Metro land Ideal Home. These houses are everywhere in the outer suburbs of London they were constructed as the Tube network expanded. As yet I don't know if this building will make it to Little Weldon or on to my proposed Tram plank I now have the Plank but as yet it is not fixed to the wall.
The major element on the facades of these homes is the two storey Bay Window. I have assembled one out of reworked Scalecast Bay Window castings. I have decided to use this as a master and make a new mould so that I can cast as many as I like, a possible Terrace certainly a pair as most of these homes are Semi Detatched. I shall include photo's of this once the Latex has cured.
Another Ebay auction win arrived yesterday. The Airfix Windmill a vintage kit from the eighties, this was much cheaper than the modern Dapol version I'm looking forward to building this.
IMG_20200119_094508_kindlephoto-1019632921.jpg
IMG_20200119_094321.jpg
IMG_20200119_094413.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20200119_094245.jpg

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 am

Hello again
Just noticed another job re glueing part of the Backscene.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 am

The station looks great with the light shining through the roof.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”