New / Old - Little Weldon

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: New / Old - Little Weldon

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Love the layout Dublo. Seeing the old things again being given a new lease of life. I see 'The Music Man' is still showing at 'The Savoy'. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:00 am

Hello all
I am pleased that you like Little Weldon Glencairn. I have found that by using as many contemporary items as I can to the Dublo, has helped to keep the layout looking and feeling more unified. There are however Woodland scenic tree's and indeed Chinese tree's, people and sheep. The people have been completely repainted, losing their modern brightly coloured clothing. The same approach has enabled the Music Man to continue. There is a little discrepancy with the posters outside. No longer is Ben Hur coming soon that has been replaced with one of my all time favourites Alien.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:28 am

Von Ryan's Express is still pulling in the crowds at Gateside!!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am

:lol: :lol: This is great perhaps we should start a new thread, movies that are being shown on our layouts.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 am

Hello all
The time has come to develop the Locomotive Yard. At the moment all the track has been lifted and ballasting has started. As space is limited I am still unable to squeeze in the locomotive shed. So that will become my Diesel stabling point and remain where it is next to North Weldon signal box. Some fuel tanks will now have to constructed for this. Returning back to South Weldon yard, I will have to place both the Superquick Coaling Stage and the Ash Plant to the rear of the scene because they have the tendency to dominate the entire scene.

IMG_20180829_050728.jpg
Before

I will add more pictures when there is something worth looking at.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:14 am

Im watching excitedly!

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:42 am

Hello all.
An update on the continuing works to the locomotive yard. The ballasting of the approach road to the turntable has been undertaken, along with several of the sidings. These are to be weathered down a bit so they don't look to be in the same condition as the mainlines. Because of the sizes of the Superquick Coaling Stage and the Ash Plant I have decided to place them at the rear of the yard. In any other place they swamp the entire scene and block views of the Locomotives. In order to locate these I have introduced two dummy sidings radiating out from the turntable. I didn't want to try and introduce two more powered lines by butchering it. These will be deeply set in general crud and overspilt Coal and ash. The black area at the rear of the scene is real crushed coal. Towards the mainlines I shall introduce further structures to attempt to tie the scene back into the layout as a whole.
I have also now placed the "Regency" house and given it a small garden to the rear of platform one of Weldon station.
IMG_20190128_193042.jpg

IMG_20190128_193015.jpg

The lift out section carrying the main lines across the doorway has been removed so that I can gain access to the rear of the yard.
Looking at the photos I've just noticed that the join between the two backscenes needs a bit of disguising another job for the to do list.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am

I think youve managed to create the loco yard in that space very well. Are you actually incorporating an engine shed or just the sidings?

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Hello all
This is a question I have been asking myself, I would like a shed but there is not enough space to incorporate an independent building. The space in this corner is very tight and I just can't imagine a HD layout without a turntable. But earlier today I had a brain wave a low relief structure spanning the two parallel sidings that are not fed from the turntable. I shall have to mock something up.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 am

Hello all
Just a quick update on the work's to the Locomotive Yard. The final area of coal debris has been glued down. Just a little more around the buildings bases to do, which is just as well because I've just broken up my last piece of coal. The road that passes under the Coaling Stage has had its centre rail removed and clear plastic infills have been cut, with coal dust glued to them. The Metcalfe Water Tower has now made an appearance too. I have started to construct the Sand Dryer I like the chimney of this structure it will add some height to another area. I've had a rummage through my paper and card stash and found a side wall, an end and two unused roofs from a Superquick engine shed. These will become the base for my Locomotive Shed. It is now all starting to take shape, it is going to look nice and busy. Does anybody know of a source of suitable figures ?
IMG_20190203_055635.jpg
IMG_20190203_055620.jpg
IMG_20190203_055606.jpg

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 am

Hello all
Welcome to Weldon South Locomotive Yard. I have now managed to complete this section of the layout. It still needs detailing and I still need to engage some staff. Little Weldon needs to undertake a massive recruitment drive there are a good number of positions vacant.
IMG_20190210_185521.jpg

IMG_20190210_185510.jpg
IMG_20190210_185445_kindlephoto-230009673.jpg

The part of the baseboard on which the yard is constructed measures 3' x 18"

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Figures... there were figures in HD days, though I don't recall the make. Merit comes to mind? Some I have seen are metal but I dont know the make.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi Mountain
I have the six cast metal railway workers which were part of the Dinky toy range.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:44 pm

I thought it may have been Dinky Toys but I wasn't too sure.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Meccano Ltd released four different sets of figures under the Dinky Toys label for Hornby Dublo the two earlier sets were cast in metal presumably Mazak. The later two in plastic. The metal figures are relatively common, the plastic I have never seen in the flesh so to speak.
RAIL0076_-_3_1024x1024.jpg
Railway Staff
053Dinky_3158037_Qty1_1.jpg
Passengers
4211_l.jpg
The later plastic figures

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”