New / Old - Little Weldon

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dublo

New / Old - Little Weldon

Post by Dublo »

Hello Everyone
Having just joined this site, I am totally impressed by all the amazing models that you are building.

My story is the usual boyhood trainset, Playcraft clockwork 0-4-0 with wagons laid out on the floor. Before receiving the Triang/Hornby Princess Elizabeth set and a Jinty one splendid Christmas. After various attempts to build the dream layout with little pocket money. I met a fellow enthusiast and we built a couple of layouts together.

In my teens I became involved in the preservation movement, and decided along with my friend that we would try to get together a display of models from differing manufacturers to show the development of OO gauge. I was given a Hornby Dublo Silver King along with a N2. A circuit of track and a few other bits and pieces.

Well that was it I got hooked. The bulk of the collection that I have was acquired over the next few years. I constructed an 8 x 4 layout that was portable and showed it a couple of local exhibitions.

During my mid 20's it all got packed away. Then came a number of house moves and life which left no time or space for Dublo. Until earlier this year when a room became available.

Now approaching my mid fifties I have the chance to build the layout I dreamed of.
My aim is to create a layout in a similar style to those that were featured in the Meccano Magazine from around 1957 until the end of production.

I hope some of you will be interested.
Test run
Test run
The layout awaiting senery
The layout awaiting senery

If you are interested I will endeavour to keep you updated with progress.
Last edited by Dublo on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
TimberSurf

Re: New / Old

Post by TimberSurf »

Yes we are always 'interested' in fellow modellers layouts :D

Welcome to the forum 8)

Check out my website for some insight to your scenics
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very nice. I have HD 3 rail myself and not really sure what to do with it! Have over 40 points and lots of track, loads of coaches etc. Thing is, I dont really have space to set it all up so it is stored, like my 2 rail 00 gauge items are. I think I had a spending spree in my past! It started off as a collection my dad had and I sort of...enlarged it! :lol:

Hopefully I will end up with some space to bring it out in the future. :)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Dublo welcome to the forum. A familiar story. Given the technology of the time HD produced some very good models that cost too much to make even at the prices they charged so it was inevitably going to come to an end, so hang on to those models you have and enjoy them.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi Dublo,,and welcome to the forum ,,,your layout is looking good and I shall be keeping an eye on its progress so keep up the posts ,,,but could I ask you a couple of things ,,where abouts in the uk / world are you and what size is your layout ,,,,mjb
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hi MJB

I live in London and the size of my layout which fills the room is 11'4" by 5 '10"
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Dublo wrote:Hi MJB

I live in London and the size of my layout which fills the room is 11'4" by 5 '10"
Thanks for the reply ,,,,,mjb
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello again
Just a couple of photos of the layout as it currently stands.
IMG_20180529_052417.jpg
IMG_20180529_052253.jpg
I have chosen to use Superquick & Metcalfe low relief buildings, along with Peco backscenes as a think they are more in keeping with the feel of the railway. Have yet to add them to the rest of the layout yet.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Down here on the South coast at Weymouth there is a large HD layout that currently
is doing the 'rounds' called "I 'Ad That" .... or something like.
There is a lovely period aura to it and it's very popular.

True also, as I had one of them back in the 1950's

Geoff T.
burnie

Post by burnie »

Hi Dublo, I had my first layout in the early 1960's, so I had the grey moulded 2 rail rather than the three, pity I got rid of it all really, though I still have a couple of the locos.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

burnie wrote:Hi Dublo, I had my first layout in the early 1960's, so I had the grey moulded 2 rail rather than the three, pity I got rid of it all really, though I still have a couple of the locos.
Hi Burnie
The early Triang models also have a certain charm too. I have a small amount that I occasionally set up on the kitchen table a couple of ovals and a few sidings will take some pictures next time. I also have the converter wagon so can run the rolling stock on the three rail. But the early coarse tread Triang wheels don't like the Dublo rails.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hi Dublo - The old Hornby Dublo just oozes character, love to see these old display layouts. I recognize many of the stuff you have, definitely remember having that signal box - totally indestructible!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I still have a N2, that I bought in 1968, lovely runner.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hi
I find that there is a reassuring feel and weight to the cast aluminum buildings that were produced by Meccano Ltd. Plus I am a big fan of Art Deco architecture. I am in two minds regarding interior detailing if to or not.
I am pleased that your supercharged N2 is still running nice and smooth manna.
I have been playing around with a name for the main station at the moment I am favouring Oldham Newton but not sure yet.
For those that may be interested another couple of piccies.
IMG_20180529_052311.jpg
IMG_20180529_052301.jpg
The picture quality is not good at the moment as they have all been taken with my Kindle. The next shoot will be with my camera.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

This is fantastic, I love Dublo and early Triang stuff, although i'm thinning out my 00 due to a future possible move and taking up N gauge. I might have some Dublo wagons to sell if you are interested? I really enjoy seeing proper dublo set ups, I've seen a few at exhibitions that were largish oval layouts which were quite noisy, the buildings still look great even after all this time. I see you have one of the early signal boxes too?

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"