2018 Forum Competition: A Picture Frame Shunting Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
roganty

Re: 2018 Forum Competition: A Picture Frame Shunting Layout

Postby roganty » Sat May 12, 2018 12:02 am

Update time.

Thursday
This was nerve wreaking, I had to cut two grooves in the side of the frame so I could slide a rail in and join up with the fiddle stick.
I cut the grooves too far apart, so I had to widen them. It's all good and a wagon will easily roll over them.
P1040011 by Anthony, on Flickr

Friday
I've carved out the stream! It now has much better depth for when I add the water (PVA)
P1040012 by Anthony, on Flickr

And here it is painted, I started with black, and then I added some green (not that it shows in the photo)
P1040013 by Anthony, on Flickr

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Well, last night I was in a "Must do some more" mood and I have seven bodies now ready for their chassis frames and another four in almost ready condition so at least it is progress.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.
Currently having a clear out of my 00 gauge items. See the "For sale" section.

roganty

Postby roganty » Fri May 18, 2018 7:05 pm

I've been doing different shifts at work covering for some ones who off on holiday, so I've not had much chance to do any modelling.

On Tuesday I found 10 minutes and I filled the stream with PVA. And then today I added another layer of glue to the stream.

I'll get some photo's posted up tomorrow.

Anthony

roganty

Postby roganty » Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 pm

roganty wrote:I'll get some photo's posted up tomorrow.

:oops: Oops, a couple of days late, but here it is:
P1040015 by Anthony, on Flickr

It's not a very good photo, but it's the best I could get at the time. I've since painted the top brown. I'll add a couple more layers over the next couple of days and see how it goes from there.

Anthony

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Its still progress. Well done. You're getting there!

roganty

Postby roganty » Tue May 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Mountain wrote:Its still progress. Well done. You're getting there!

Thanks. Sometimes I think the only way I could complete a project for the competition end is to submit a completed project :|

Is there a competition in 2020? :lol:

roganty

Postby roganty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Not much progress to report as I was on holiday last week, but I have stuck the track down using double sided tape. I have also (finally) tested the track and I had a loco and a few wagons running.
Luckily the isolated frogs did not cause (m)any issues.

I'm going to start laying some scatter tomorrow, and hopefully over the weekend (Sun/Mon) I will ballast the track!

No photos today, but there will be some for next time.

Anthony

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Go for it! I'm sure you will get good results!

roganty

Postby roganty » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Mountain wrote:Go for it! I'm sure you will get good results!

Thanks for that Mountain. It took me three days, and I've still got a little tidying up to do, but I finished the ballasting in the end!

P1040022 by Anthony, on Flickr

I only managed a little bit of scatter, more of a test really. I've got an idea for what I want to do, so we'll see what happens!

Anthony

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:32 am

One thing with ballasting is to go easy around the pointwork. Some people dont ballast points at all. I'm going to be ballasting soon though I had my ballast from a local river... Just like real narrow gauge railways may have done! :D

roganty

Postby roganty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:40 am

Mountain wrote:One thing with ballasting is to go easy around the pointwork. Some people dont ballast points at all.

This was my first time ballasting points. I just ballasted it like a normal piece of track, but I made sure that the point blade moved positively.
After gluing, I flicked the points back and forth a few times every hour or so to make sure that they still moved freely.

Mountain wrote:I'm going to be ballasting soon though I had my ballast from a local river... Just like real narrow gauge railways may have done! :D

I can't wait to see your results :)

roganty

Postby roganty » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I have a need for a lot of bushes/scrub/brambles, so I have done a little experimenting.

I pulled the scouring pad from an old sponge, I then covered it in neat PVA and then rolled it in some scatter.

So far the results are interesting, but I'm going to need a lot more to cover the areas I need covered.

I am also going to need more scatter, unfortunately my local model shop is closed on Sundays and Mondays, but they are cheaper than eBay!

As for trees, my partner brought me a bag of trees from China last year, unfortunately they are all the same tree, but I think I could get away with using some clumped together along part of the embankment.

I won an auction on eBay the other day for some more trees, hopefully they should be in the post on the way to me now. When they turn up I can see what they look like and how/where I can use them.

I'll post some pictures up when the glue has dried and my camera has charged.

Anthony

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Some idea's/principles for your thought
To make bushes/clumps etc use horse hair block (very expensive to buy) or go old school and make your own. Any sponge can be dipped in emulsion and let dry. Grate on a kitchen cheese grater (old hands use a hand meat grinder) or chop up in the kitchen liquidiser (while 'er indoors is out shopping). Use dye or paint to colour sawdust (most power tools can be used to generate it) or buy from pet shops (critters bedding).Hedges (like you have experimented with) and trees can be made/enhanced (or identicals made different) by covering with flock. Experimenting is part of the fun (but you can look the above idea's up on Youtube tutorials)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

roganty

Postby roganty » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:37 pm

TimberSurf, thanks for the ideas, I was up way past my bedtime watching videos last night, a couple from TheTerrainTutor I found very informative.

Here is the results of the little scraps i experimented with.
SSL10110 by Anthony, on Flickr

They looked ok while they were still wet, but the PVA has hardened and I'm less sure of them now.
I do have an odd edge that does go in under the edge of the frame where I might use them, but I'm not sure.

In the videos I watched, a couple mentioned rubberised horsehair, and when I saw it I remembered about something that an ex-friend had given us after his dad died (he was into wargaming); it was a large roll of rubberised horsehair.

My next experiments will be using this roll. I will also be buying a can of spray adhesive, or some cheap hairspray!

Anthony

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 pm

Glad I have sparked some inspiration to experiment :) It's part of the fun. Horse hair is not actually made from horsehair (it's a throwback to when it was) it is a synthetic replacement. When bought from modelling suppliers it is horrendously expensive, so your very lucky! It makes great loose bushes like bramble.
They do spray cans of adhesive in the pound shops! (and hairspray)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”