The NLRPS, a N Gauge Preserved Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
JamieC

The NLRPS, a N Gauge Preserved Railway

Postby JamieC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 am

Hi everyone,

I have recently got some extra space in my flat and so have decided to start a new layout. I already have another layout in N gauge so I will be making this one in N as well. As said in the title, this railway will be a preserved railway's depot and terminus station (also a mainline through station), based somewhere in North Lanarkshire, hence North Lanarkshire Railway Preservation Society (NLRPS) and will be set in modern time allowing for a variety of trains to be run on the mainline. I know preserved railways are not often modelled as they can sometimes just turn out like train sets as almost any trains and stock can be run however, I think I’ll enjoy being able to do this.

The railway will be made of two baseboards of 1100x1000mm each, so that it is easier to move as I think I will be moving flat in the next few years. Baseboards will be getting bought this week or early next week and then assembled and the plan drawn or printed onto it. It will be wired for DC and DCC allowing for me to run either as some of my locos do not have any decoders yet. It will also use Peco fine scale track and I am planning on scratch building all/nearly all of the buildings.

Anyway, I’ll upload my plans, so far, later on tomorrow and will be eager for some feedback when I do (and any so far).

Thanks for now!

Jamie
Jamie

JamieC

Re: The NLRPS, a N Gauge Preserved Railway

Postby JamieC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Got a first draft for the track plan of my layout as per below.

NLRPS Labeled.jpg

On the left hand side of the track plan it will disappear to the fiddle yard under a road bridge. On the right hand side all three tracks will go into tunnels however the one for the preserved line will be staggered so it is less uniform/repetitive. Ill update a more in depth scenic plan soon.

Something I forgot to mention in the previous post. I plan on using 1-2mm thick cork sheets as an underlay for the trackbed. I was wondering how much distance everyone leaves from the sleepers to the edge of their underlay? I want to leave a decent shoulder for the ballast however, I don't want to leave too little making it seem quite steep.

On baseboard construction. I am going to use 6mm hardwood ply as the baseboard surface, and use 25x100mm planed timber for the batons/supports. As I am using hardwood ply, I intend to only put supports around the edge of the boards. I am going to use 4x M6 bolts with T-nuts to attach it as well as 3x cabinet dowels to align it correctly. I will secure the tracks across the join by soldering them onto brass screws at the join.

Thats all for now
Jamie

JamieC

Postby JamieC » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi everyone.

So I have got the plywood for my baseboards and the timber for the supports will be arriving on Friday hopefully so soon I'll be able to construct the baseboards very soon hopefully. I have constructed a panel to hold my NCE Powercab controller and the PCP panel as well as an input for DC track power, lights and accessories and switches to control each as well as a switch to select DC or DCC. Each of these have LED's to indicate if they are on or not. This will be attached on the front of the layout.

27497498_10211643780155691_1136913407_n.jpg
27497498_10211643780155691_1136913407_n.jpg (24.28 KiB) Viewed 419 times

I have also modified the track plan slightly to allow for a third track in the mainline at the front so that non-stopping trains and freight can bypass the platforms if required. I have also smoothed out the curves on the circuit to make it look a lot better.

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 17.10.23.png

I have also Hardwired my GF class 25 with a DCC harness and plunged in a decoder however it runs very slow with the decoder in but normal when it has a blanking plate in. I am using an old Bachmann 6pin decoder however the other 2 decoders (same type) also make it run very slow and run fine in my other chipped locos so it must be the combination of the decoders and the loco.

I'll hopefully get the baseboards created over the weekend if the support wood arrives so a new update early next week when I print out the track plan.

Until then!
Jamie

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Full steam ahead Jamie. I'll look forward to this going together, particularly when you get to the stage of scratch building.

Paul

JamieC

Postby JamieC » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi Paul, the scratch building will be fun. It's not something I have done a lot of before however I think it'll be fun!

On the note of baseboards, I've now finished constructing them as you can see below.

orca-image-1517665878534.jpg_1517665878732.jpeg

The bit of track currently on the baseboard is my programming track and also acts as a cassettes for a small goodshed boxfiles layout I have. I have also attached the power panel to the front. It's currently sitting very low as it's just sitting on the frames of the old bed. Hopefully I'll get some proper stands for it soon, whether that's a leg in each corner or trestles for it to sit on.

The next step if to print of my track plan and get some cork for the track bed. I can also start preparing one of the control boards as I have all the LEDs I need, I just need some (on)-off-(on) switches for the points. Oh and I need track aswell but that'll need to wait till I save a bit of money.
Jamie

JamieC

Postby JamieC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 pm

So its been a couple of weeks but a lot has been happening!

I decided that it would be a bit easier (not on the pocket!) to get all the track at once, that way I can make sure it all fits and that I am happy with it all before I lay it properly. It all arrived 2 weeks ago and I have been setting to cutting, laying underlay and wiring some of it in my spare time. Currently I have only wired most of it temporarily as I will be adding in isolated section when I can afford the momentary switches I require. I have now got most all of the preserved line set up and am starting on the mainline. I have however, ran out of isolators, about 7 short so I need to wait for those to arrive.

The preserved bit runs well, I have been testing it with a recently bought (early January) J39 and my recently repainted class 57.

The class 57 I have had for about 4 years now after I swapped it with my little brother. It was originally a 57/3 in First GW livery however I have repainted it/converted it to 57003 in current DRS livery. I planned on doing this years ago but after a few attempts decided that I wasn't happy with the brush finish as it was too thick and left bad brush marks. Because of this it spent most of its time with me in primer white and rather unattractive. While waiting for my track to arrive I decided to give it another try and then after a few attempts found a rattle can in Halfords which matched DRS blue very well. Unfortunately one of the windows was missing so I elected to remove them all and replace with glue n glaze, which I think has came out pretty well, it is also missing a buffer but I think I can get replacements from N brass locos. I have also added cab lights and replaced the headlights which were broken when I got it from my brother. I think it could do with smaller leds (I only had 3mm to hand) but hopefully I can get some at Model Rail Scotland this weekend at the SECC. I wont be buying much else after getting all that track!

Having some issues attaching pictures right now so ill find somewhere to host them and post links soon.
Jamie

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Jamie - like the location of your layout, as a North Lanarkshire lad myself (Coatbridge and Airdrie). You could get some inspiration for your layout from Summerlee Heritage Centre, perhaps adding a mining museum or even a tramway to the layout.

Best of luck with your project, I will be watching with interest.

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 am

Hello Jamie.

I'm late to seeing this thread, but if it's not too late I have a small suggestion.
If the upper left main-line point was made right handed, and taken left to the beginning of the curve, there would be room for a small length of track between it and the preserved line fiddle yard, allowing a preserved line loco to run round its train without fouling the main line.

Alternately a loco spur off the single line top right would allow for "spare engine reversing.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

JamieC

Postby JamieC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi all,

Jim - I am originally from South Lanarkshire myself but with North Lanarkshire's stretches of mainline and old mining/industry lines I thought that would allow for more possibility of a preserved line being created on one of these old mining/industry lines. I have been to and enjoyed Summerlee Heritage Centre a few times and I think thats a great idea. I have been thinking of additional things to add into the town scene and like the idea of a mining museum, very fitting with North Lanarkshire.

Chris - Thats a very good point and something I was trying to work out the best way to run around without fouling the mainline, but I think this is a good way of doing it. Will try it out today as I believe I have a spare right hand point.

Here are the pics I tried to upload last night.
The layout :

IMG_20180217_154536.jpg
Right hand side of preserved line

IMG_20180217_154529.jpg
The left hand side of preserved line

orca-image-1518799534904.jpg_1518799535041.jpeg
How i'am joining a the baseboard, copper sleepers made from cut up strip board

orca-image-1519160797732.jpg_1519160797909.jpeg
The start of the mainline

orca-image-1519149224359.jpg_1519149224549.jpeg
Ends of the turntable, added since the first pictures were taken
Jamie

JamieC

Postby JamieC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 pm

And some pics of the class 57:

IMG_20180207_170615.jpg
Primed body

IMG_20180211_182627.jpg
Body shell sprayed with Halfords isis blue

IMG_20180211_185359.jpg
The roof painted (although in the lighter/older shade of roof grey)

IMG_20180212_202957.jpg
The finished body shell

IMG_20180219_123700-2.jpg
Finished body shell pulling some EWS wagons
Jamie

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 pm

It really does put it into scale with the body being held by the helping hands just how small it is. Great job. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

JamieC

Postby JamieC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Thanks, it is hard to tell the scale until something you know the size of is added for reference :D
Jamie

heda

Postby heda » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Good to see another ' N gauger' on here, I'll be following this layout.

Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”