UppyDownyRoundyRoundyRailway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: UppyDownyRoundyRoundyRailway

Postby glencairn » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 am

It's all coming together. Well done.
(I hope the cat is well away from any soldering. :?: )

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Montfort

Re: Platform Musings

Postby Montfort » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:After a couple of days I had a thought ( yup, it usually takes me that long to have a thought

Don't worry. Me too ! :lol:
Back on the track !
Chris

NedFlanders

More Civil Engineering

Postby NedFlanders » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:35 pm

So there I was - at a loose end, so I ambled through Wordsworth Model Railway ( of this parish) and decided I needed some storage for important commodities....

It came together nicely - thank you Mike!

I then turned my attention back to the upper station that doesn't exist yet. After the Inclines from Woodland Scenics arrived I checked and yes - despite measuring repeatedly, human error rules ok!... Why exactly did i think I needed two thicknesses of Cork in the vertical height? It seemed like a good idea at the time....

anyhow - out came the table saw - 14 X 3mm slices later I started assembly

Checked the clearances before putting on the tops

and in place.

Not sure yet on how to locate them in the same spot each time but the current leader is more of those DCC concepts or patternmaker dowels mounted in the centre of the boards to locate them positively. also I now need to cut out the access holes on the bottom baseboards to rescue derailments......
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Locating lift off bits, try a scaled up version of the way I locate goods and loco sheds. I glue sections of bamboo skewers in the corners so that there's about 2cm or so sticking out at each corner. I put a blob of white paint on the end of each one and lower the building into position so it's sitting on the skewers, lift it off and drill holes through the white spots. Then I can put the building back in the same spot each time. You could scale it up using 4mm dowels, make them long enough that there's enough gap for your fingers and to see the holes for lining it up.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NedFlanders

Christmas 2018 developments

Postby NedFlanders » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 pm

So there I was - laid up. I had to get a bit of structural upgrading myself...... So I didn't get to much after the last update.

Anyhowdy I endeavored to have a bit of extra fun for the Small Controller in place for Christmas so while I was half laid up I managed to lay the Inclines temporarily on doublesided tape and compare performance, before and after Powerbase.

Before powerbase - Ketly Hall could barely pull up one carriage.

Afterwards - No problem with its standard 4 carriages and I think I tried 6 with no real impact on performance - so if steep inclines are a necessary evil - Powerbase is a winner!

The powerbase was simply laid under the track loosely and I screwed the magnets to the bottom of the locos using the powerbase magnet mountings.

I knocked together a very quick track base for over the lower station ( no way it could be called a bridge). and for Christmas we definitely had the UppyDownyRoundyRoundy Railway in operation!

You can see the powerbase on the left of the photo, at best the track is held in place with temporary pins - mostly they are sitting there by the power of positive thinking. You can see on the right where one section is actually supported by nothing apart from hope!

On the lower right you can see where the inner outer loop ( confusing- isn't it?) incline ends early. this also means it is higher than the inner loop at this point so in order for the lines to look less silly I will need to stretch out the one that ends early so that they keep to the same height. I intend to truncate the inclines at the point where they begin to cross the lower loop and then to build the upper bridge deck from there. The upper bridge deck will follow roughly the angle of the tracks as they are laid so that they are not parallel to the baseboard edges.

For Christmas I had an Island Platform at the upper station and just placed the Turntable at the upper left for a test fitting.

Thereafter full lay up came into force so we are only getting back to it now. ( even my phone gave up just as the inclines were fitted so I couldn't upload any photos)

Now that I can see any of the problems with the inclines I will strip them out gradually and then fit them in permanently with the lessons learnt here.

I must also complete the "dismantleability" of the hypotenuse so that the middle of the floor can be reclaimed under normal circumstances - I'm sure that will turn out as easy as I expect.....

Cheerio,

Ned.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am

Good old magnahesion technology! Seems a useful upgrade. Your lift out section aapears concerningly large, and heavy but without it would be quite a crawl to get to the operating well.

Good luck!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Hymirl wrote:Good old magnahesion technology! Seems a useful upgrade. Your lift out section aapears concerningly large, and heavy but without it would be quite a crawl to get to the operating well.Good luck!

I couldn't have said it differently!
Power base seems to work well for all!
How will you handle the lift out? it seems it will be very ungainly and the ends will need to clever idea to protect them while in storage!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:30 am

Hymirl wrote: Your lift out section appears concerningly large, and heavy but without it would be quite a crawl to get to the operating well.

Aha.... The Lift out section is actualy in two pieces - as yet, all members of the household have no issues with crawling under it so while its up - no need for lift out. When it needs to be dismantled - each section is about four foot long.
Last edited by NedFlanders on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 am

TimberSurf wrote:How will you handle the lift out? it seems it will be very ungainly and the ends will need to clever idea to protect them while in storage!

Underneath the upper station baseboard will be a void about 6ft in length, so the two halves of the diagonal will fit neatly - albeit that I haven't figured out the shelving/rack that I will need there to slide them in on - buts thats for another day - this weekend I will make a start on dismantling the temporary uppy downy section so that I can tidy up a few things on the baseboards and start knocking together the plywood facings at the ends of the diagonal boards.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:49 pm

I like the layout. It is very ingenious. A lift out section which is not used is a good plan as while you are able to duck under you don't risk any track alignment or expansion issues as it an be built at first not to lift. Then if in future years you find that bending down is an issue, you can easily rebuild it to lift. That way you can have the best of both worlds to ensure the layout is to last.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”