No name loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lenht1951

No name loft layout

Postby lenht1951 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Well four years on and at least some progress has been made from the original posting,

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44815

but not as much as I had wished, although I have enjoyed it so far, but still with lots to do. I must admit that this site has been an invaluable mine of information and helped me enormously. But back to the beginning four years ago.
When I began the loft looked like this

MR 1.JPG

With the distinct disadvantage of pre-formed trusses I spotted a similar problem that someone had and they had placed ply on top of battens, but being a bit of belt and braces I constructed baseboards of 2" x 1" with 9mm ply on top. The baseboards are approx 6 feet by 2 feet, with a length of 27' down each side and a width of 8' at each end. As I had returned from France with rolls of 4mm cork I glued this to the ply and then painted it. The track laying was then started.

mr1 (16).JPG

mr1 (17).JPG

More to follow

Mountain

Re: No name loft layout

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Its all looking grand. :)

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:58 pm

It's coming along nicely.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:14 am

France is a bit of a long way to go, just for some cork rolls, but a great start you've made :)

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 pm

it looks good, makes me miss my loft layout - the shed is more comfortable standing up but the loft had a lot more space

good luck with the rest of it :)

lenht1951

Re: No name loft layout - Now named OUTSTREET

Postby lenht1951 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 pm

I have now decided on a name for my loft layout, OUTSTREET, it’s an anagram of what the wiring gave me ( Tourettes, :lol: ), the neighbours must have wondered what on earth I was swearing about in the loft.

Well if you look at the first post ever the original trackplan has changed drastically to this
1. Scanned  Track Plan - Copy.jpg

as I continued to add more and more, which increased the amount of track and turnouts. I wanted most of my stock on the layout ( eventually ) as I am too bone idle and time lacking to be bothered getting it all out and setting it up for every running session. ( I have a SWMBO, well to a certain extent, and a 50 year Land Rover to maintain, as well as various sports and activities )

Due to the fact I am a technophobe in certain circumstances, and a lot of my locomotives are getting on in years, I opted for DC running. I did look at DCC but all those little green module boards and wiring I thought it would be beyond me.
I set up a buss wire under the baseboards for each of the three roundy roundy circuits and a fourth for the goods yard, TMD and MPD, with droppers every 6 feet or so, with the exception of the storage roads on the roundy roundies . I had considered scotch connectors but in the end I decided to melt small areas of buss wire with an old soldering iron and solder the droppers to the buss and then to cover with scotch lock connectors with the metal connector plate removed. I did this as I had already bought the connectors and so I thought I may as well utilise them

All the track has now been laid with all 59 turnouts being wired up to the mimic panel, and working superbly with the stud and probe method ( thanks to End2end and Flashbang ), together with 35 isolating sections. The mimic board is a skip recovered piece of white plastic wall cladding,got quite a few offcuts just in case i ever need them, and the schematic diagram is car pin striping tape. The Fleischmann turntable also works but I have yet to wire up the exit roads running from it.
I know I will probably need further isolating sections but I will go through a period of operation before I decide where I need to place them.
I did originally incorporate a couple of double slips but found the wiring a right pain in the butt, plus some of my older locos were not too happy traversing them, so I decided I had enough space to simply use back to back turnouts, which for me simplified the wiring and so I sold the double slips on. The seep point motors were pre wired on my workstation and then connected to terminal blocks. Each of the wires controlling the points was numbered for future fault finding and in the main has a common return.
Now onto the scenery and buildings.
5. mimic panel (1).JPG
Mimic panel plus the main controller
5. mimic panel (3).JPG
6 wiring (1).JPG
The rats nest
6 wiring (2).JPG
And it all looked quite neat and tidy until this point

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Now that is a very neat and lovely control panel. There is something special about making these. The feeling of satisfaction when it is all up and running is great.
I've not found an easier way then the stud and probe method of operating electrical point solenoids.

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:24 pm

That's an impressive mimic panel - What is the turntable control knob ? I've never seen anything like that before.

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Great load of work there, there must be light at the end of the tunnel (if you have one!)
Tim
aka Forfarian

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Mimic front looks great, just let anyone see what's behind it!

lol spaghetti nightmare, that only you understand fully :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:54 pm

If you managed to wire up that lot, DCC would have been easy!
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 pm

I remember my last pair of panels. About 150 or more wires between the panels (About 400 to 450 wires in all as i did overdo it :D ) , never mind to the track sections and the points. Took a month and a half of solid evenings to wire it up (I had 45 points and many track sections and panels had indicator lights to show whichpanel was controlling which section). It all worked grand. I found a well thought out dc layout to be easier to use then DCC. It was the thought behind where to wire the sections for the best use that took time. For example, where one would be running one train to couple to the next etc. Took some thought, but once sorted, in operation it was plain and simple. One would just follow ones finger on the panel indicator and flick the switches that applied and tab the probe onto the relevent little boltheads to change the points. That was it. Just turn the control knob and away one goes! Quick and easy!

(I will add, the wiring method of track sections required more wire, but it did mean that no one panel had priority over the next. Each was an exact duplicate able to have full controls of the layout. There was in effect, no master panel. One just plugged in a handheld controller to use the panel).

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:16 am

I realise that I may be preaching to the converted but the below pics show a couple of the ideas I used whilst wiring the turnouts. The points were centralised and the plasticard with the drilled hole was used to centralise the seep point motor on the underside.
2..JPG

These further pics show panel pins inserted into 3mm ply which were used to aid the soldering of the wire to the Peco tag washers.
3. tag washer (1).JPG

4. tag washer (2).JPG

Hope these may be of assistance to someone.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm

The simplist things people come up with are usually
the best/easiest way to do things, these tips are no
exception.

Like the track plan by the way!

Jim.

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 pm

NedFlanders wrote:That's an impressive mimic panel - What is the turntable control knob ? I've never seen anything like that before.

Ned.

Hi Ned and thanks, the controller is a Fleischmann one which came with the turntable I acquired about 20+ years ago for the princely sum of about £20, I knew it would come in handy one day. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”