Bridge Street

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dave

Bridge Street

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Most new layouts start with a concept.

This project starts with a completed layout. The original started out as an experiment and turned out nothing like the original plan. As the track and all the buildings were scratch built it took me many hours spread over many months.

Since it's completion it has been more of a photo backdrop, I have operated it quite a bit but running has become more and more unreliable.

I think the time has come to move on.

The starting point:

17-12-13-00.jpg

The first stage was to strip everything down to the bones:

17-12-13-05.jpg

Having studied the pros and cons of trying to use the full board or cutting it down, I opted for the latter:

17-12-14-01.jpg

With a convenient off-cut of ply that was kicking about I filled in the hole and made an end:

17-12-14-02.jpg
Last edited by Dave on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Re: Bridge Street

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:01 pm

I have salvaged the buildings, so they will be refurbished and used again:

17-12-13-06.jpg

roganty

Postby roganty » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am

Dave, it's sad to see a great little layout dismantled, but progress and space marches on!! I'm sure the new (smaller) layout will be just as great.

I was trying to find a track plan for your layout (micro's intrigue me) and I found this on the Carendt website

Anthony
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 am

roganty wrote:Dave, it's sad to see a great little layout dismantled,

Hi Anthony,

Although dismantled the rebuild will still have the same atmosphere. The scenic section is actually still the same size, I have just got rid of the small traverser at one end. I will knock up a couple of fiddle boards so I will be able to run 'longer trains' properly.

roganty wrote:I was trying to find a track plan for your layout (micro's intrigue me) and I found this on the Carendt website

As well as appearing on that excellent website, the layout had a two page spread in the modelling section of Traction Magazine earlier in the year:

TMJune17-2.jpg

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 am

Nice one Dave is that the only micro you've had on the Carendt site? You could fill a whole edition on your own!

I had the winter scene entry on there all those years ago, 3rd on here in the comp, to you in second and m.levin in first as i recall. A great comp that one 8)

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

mumbles wrote:I had the winter scene entry on there all those years ago, 3rd on here in the comp, to you in second and m.levin in first as i recall. A great comp that one 8)

It was a great comp, I thought that I had a cracking entry until I saw yours and Martin's creations. Am I right in my recollection that you sold yours on for a great price?

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Dave wrote:
mumbles wrote:I had the winter scene entry on there all those years ago, 3rd on here in the comp, to you in second and m.levin in first as i recall. A great comp that one 8)

It was a great comp, I thought that I had a cracking entry until I saw yours and Martin's creations. Am I right in my recollection that you sold yours on for a great price?

That's right. I think it was over £350 I got for it, as well as the 3rd prize of a loco. Total costs were under £100 for wood, track, plasticard and what ever scenics (Prob stuff I had anyway?) I got for it. I've still got all the 009 stock and have many an idea to make another to keep and play with as it was a fun layout.

You did make a cracking scene and Martin's, well.. He's annoying with how talented he is. We both had a lot of fun talking and building them, as you can imagine, we didn't keep it secret from each other!

Did we all use talc for snow? :mrgreen: :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 pm

£350 was probably reasonable if one added the time to build it. It is surprising how much time can go into making a model railway. True, there are quick ways to do so which save time but certainly dont save on the pocket. My current model railway itself, minus the stock is quite cheap as far as materials are concerned, but if I add the time factor I'd probably need to charge a small fortune to regain its value in this respect.
I look forward to your new plans coming into play.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Mountain wrote:£350 was probably reasonable if one added the time to build it. It is surprising how much time can go into making a model railway. True, there are quick ways to do so which save time but certainly dont save on the pocket. My current model railway itself, minus the stock is quite cheap as far as materials are concerned, but if I add the time factor I'd probably need to charge a small fortune to regain its value in this respect.
I look forward to your new plans coming into play.

I agree, unfortunately I don't think you can sell 'time' that easily or Id be quitting my job and going professional! Still, I'll have to pay for my retirement in however many years the country makes me work for so I may well end up with a cottage business doing it one day? It sold on eBay so it was a nervous week watching the bidding until the price jumped up! The bidder paid for courier to collect as well so I wasn't even hit by that expense.. Other than some hardboard to pack it, pennies really. Did you mean my plans? Maybe I should start a planning thread for my pie in sky thinking!

Anyway derailing Dave's thread! As you were!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm

I had to look twice. Thought it was Dave who sold the layout... :D
Someone must have thought very highly of your efforts Mumbles. I'm sure it was good. :)
The good thing as well if one gets a decent price for ones layout is that one has funds to plough into the next project.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”