Readers Halt

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
8vchris

Re: Readers Halt

Post by 8vchris »

Today I managed to get an hour and got merry with the weathering paints! For weathering I have been using some of the warhammer paints as they are all water based and make for easy clean up. Anyway, the tunnel ends now all have had some weathering and the photos really do not do them any justice, they look even better in the flesh I think. I should have done the insides of the tunnel prior to setting it in place but with some reach and a long brush I can get to the parts that can be seen. It will need a few other things added for realism but it is certainly getting there.

Next I turned my attention to adding some bushes to the top of the tunnel now that there has been some scatter added to it. I'm really happy with how it looks so far, I might add some tress to it as well. The issue with adding trees and bushes etc is that there is very little room, maybe 30cm, to squeeze through between the wall and the board and so adding anything that has the potential to catch on clothes etc and get torn off makes me loathe to add to it. I am hoping to add some fence around the edges that are track side but we shall see how that goes. You can see the gap I am referring to in the photo below, yes I fit though that!

Again, I don't think the photos do any justice but I'm very happy with the results and after what amounts to 3 or 4 hours over the past few days the layout has come leaps and bounds. I also spent some time placed hedgerows along the track on the 'yard' side. There was a gap no bigger than maybe 10mm so it was perfect fit for lining with bushes. I have some more trees on the way, and provided they look as they are promised, setting them up will be the next port of call. I also need to start laying some roads and gathering some buildings.

On a side note, my points are no longer working via DCC, no idea why, they simply wont function so I also need to address that issue but as the layout is small and only has 2 pairs of dcc controlled points, it has not been high on my to do list.
End2end

Post by End2end »

8vchris wrote:The issue with adding trees and bushes etc is that there is very little room, maybe 30cm, to squeeze through between the wall and the board and so adding anything that has the potential to catch on clothes etc and get torn off makes me loathe to add to it.
How about a large tree lying on it's side having just been felled? It would make an interesting cameo. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
8vchris

Post by 8vchris »

End2end wrote:
8vchris wrote:The issue with adding trees and bushes etc is that there is very little room, maybe 30cm, to squeeze through between the wall and the board and so adding anything that has the potential to catch on clothes etc and get torn off makes me loathe to add to it.
How about a large tree lying on it's side having just been felled? It would make an interesting cameo. :)
Thanks
End2end
Thats something I hadn't thought of, ill see if i have any spares left to do something along those lines.

Last night I spent some more time laying grass and adding more hedge rows until I ran out. I've since ordered more and need to start thinking about fences.

Really need to start mixing up hedge rows so they aren't all the same colour but it gives me a basis to work from. I also removed the front coupling from the 3F and it really cleans up the front end of it.

8vchris

Post by 8vchris »

after much fiddling and taking apart and soldering and fiddling I've managed to bring back life into this -

This is the first loco I bought years and yeaes ago and it is also the first I tried to convert to DCC and truth told, it all went pear shaped and it lay in a cupboard for ages. Then a snapped wire on the pickups meant it had to be taken back and replaced. It all turned into a giant faff but its now fixed and running the smoothest it has ever done having been stripped down, cleaned and oiled. Totally thrilled!
8vchris

Post by 8vchris »

Been spending some time ballasting the yard, laying some road and adding more trees and hedges, but more importantly, the reborn "Royal Scot" has been earning its keep!

Still having trouble from glueing down the ballast and PVA on the rails so I've been cleaning before using the layout but more time spent is needed it seems. I have been using a dusting cloth with methylated spirits and I have also just got some isopropyl alcohol so hopefully the end is in sight!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Are you using a dropper for the glue or just spraying over all?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
8vchris

Post by 8vchris »

TimberSurf wrote:Are you using a dropper for the glue or just spraying over all?
I had been spraying over all but had the rails covered and was cleaning as I went. I've since used a dropper. It seems I must have missed a few spots though. Since my last post the odd spell of run away trains has now become the norm. No matter what I run they all take off, that includes one I've recently bought and another old Hornby loco I converted to DCC. The tracks have been cleaned thoroughly and are lovely and shiny so I don't know where the issue lies. The locos themselves all have clean wheels too. I'm wondering if it is anther case of controller at fault.

All that aside though, I finally got a photo of all of the locos in the fleet, all now on DCC. This also includes a recent class 150/2 purchase.

Also, a quick photo of the conversion fitted to my old Hornby 125 unit. Hoping to do an LED conversion to the lights next.

End2end

Post by End2end »

8vchris wrote:Also, a quick photo of the conversion fitted to my old Hornby 125 unit. Hoping to do an LED conversion to the lights next.
I'm just about to do the same and found these (also in warm white)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-HST-L ... 1438.l2649
Thanks
End2end

Edit: What decoder are you using for the HST please 8vchris?
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
8vchris

Post by 8vchris »

End2end wrote:
8vchris wrote:Also, a quick photo of the conversion fitted to my old Hornby 125 unit. Hoping to do an LED conversion to the lights next.
I'm just about to do the same and found these (also in warm white)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-HST-L ... 1438.l2649
Thanks
End2end

Edit: What decoder are you using for the HST please 8vchris?
That’s exactly the same part I’ve my eye on! The decoder I’ve used is a spare hornby one I had. It is going to be swapped out for a gauge master one though, it gives a lovely smooth take off and stop and is the same as the one fitted to the 150. The hornby decoder will migrate to the dummy car and control only lights, or at least that’s the current plan.