All aboard - Festive fun

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

Re: All aboard - Festive fun

Postby heda » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Yes very good E2E, HO HO HO

A lot of the construction was done throughout the year but I didn't want to post anything until December as it didn't seem quite right posting a Christmas layout in July.

Anyway back to the coaches, I wanted them lit and managed to squeeze the cut down base of a flickering candle into one end, they are wired together and are permenantly coupled, but I need to extend the coupling slightly as they catch on the curves. The coaches were sprayed black, glazed, the inside painted and some HO gauge figures stuck inside and the roofs painted white.

manna

Postby manna » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:35 pm

G'Day Gents

A great Christmas fun layout, well done.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

heda

Postby heda » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:11 am

Santa of course needs a sleigh, I built it from plasticard as normal card might not be up to the job of flying thousands of miles at supersonic speeds. The reindeer are cake decorations with a light brush of burnt umber, another ebay purchase for a pound or so. I mounted it on clear plastic so it can be removed for storage.

Next job elf painting. As anyone who has watched the film knows there are hundreds of them, I settled for a couple of dozen. I used HO figures, (another cheap ebay purchase), they had to be smaller than Santa and N just looked to small. The painting actually wasn't to bad as there was only two colours and from normal viewing distance they give the right effect.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:30 am

It is brilliant. Hehe... Love the snowman! When you finish it, you just have to take it to exhibition for others to enjoy. :D

heda

Postby heda » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you Mountain, I'm glad you like the layout but it's not good enough for exhibiting. Maybe at a school Christmas fayre or similar but I'd need to pat a protective case round it first to keep the little fingers off.

heda

Postby heda » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:03 am

Finally I added the snow, Woodland Scenics with some silver glitter mixed in, the glitter doesn't show up well in the photographs but at night with the room light on it has the freshly fallen snow sparkle to it. I will take some more pictures after dark and post tomorrow.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 pm

If I decided to organise an exhibition and you were living within a reasonable travelling distance I'd love to see a layout like that at an exhibition. It is neatly presented. There is more to it then a basic oval of track. It does not take up to much space. It does not require a mains power source so it can be displayed almost anywhere without health and safety issues coming into play. Its origins are unusual and shows what is possible to model to a limited budget. It is based on a concept which I've never seen modelled before, the Polar Express... It is a perfect break from the momotony of mainly 00 gauge layouts (Not to say we dont like to see 00)... It makes use of old coaches in a way one does not expect...Its just perfect!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Heda, I have to echo Mountains comments. Concept is inspirational. I would be most intrigued if I saw it at an exhibition, well worth it for the kids, especially around xmas, maybe book it in for next year!
Cant wait to see it lit up and the sparkles.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

heda

Postby heda » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:36 am

Thank you again for the kind comments, I had never considered the standard anything like good enough for an exhibition, it was meant more as a fun Christmas decoration. We wanted a Christmas themed railway and As I model in N gauge I built two over the past few years but both were to big to be practical and because they were stored in the loft for the rest of the year running was always an issue. The Polar Express is our favourite Christmas film ( we shall be watching it Christmas eve before leaving out the mince pie. sherry and wish list ), so when we saw the toy train set so cheap we thought it must be worth a try. I must admit although not considering it exhibition standard I am pleased with the result. I certainly will look at displaying it next year if any local events are interested.

Dave

heda

Postby heda » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:37 am

A few more pictures taken in lower light, unfortunately the camera doesn't capture the sparkle in the snow nor the figures in the coaches but the overall effect is what I set out to achieve. A fun Christmas layout. Total cost less than £20 except for the snow but I only used a small amount so kept some back for repairs and resold the remainder on ebay.

Lastly may I wish everyone a verry happy Christmas and may 2018 bring you everything you wirh for.

Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”