All aboard - Festive fun

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

All aboard - Festive fun

Postby heda » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:07 pm

We wanted a Christmassy layout that doesn't take up to much room and can be easily moved and stored. I have built two n gauge winter layouts in the past but they tended to be to big and after a year stored in the loft gave all sorts of running issues. Anyway at the beginning of the year we found some toy battery operated train sets been sold off at less than £2, so feeling extravagant I bought a couple of sets.

Gave the engine and tender a spray of satin black

So far so good but the coaches were not suitable., I managed to pick up a damaged HO scale coach on ebay cheaply and set to work converting it. firstly cutting it in to two shorter length coaches, then been a corridor coach making it narrower by removing the corridor.

More progress to follow
Dave

heda

Re: All aboard - Festive fun

Postby heda » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:10 pm

The baseboard measures 36” x 13”, I wanted some frozen water so cut out a section and added a planked bridge using coffee stirrers.

Trying to get what looked like ice proved to be a challenge, after a few failed attempts I used a very dark blue (almost black) paint and covered it with a piece of plastic, the type that comes from packaging and can be used for glazing model windows, I lightly scratched it using fine wet & dry paper.

Satisfied with the result the track was stuck down and mounting card placed around the track to bring the ground level with the sleepers, then built a card tunnel and started the landscape using polystyrene.

It's starting to take shape and so far the only cost has been the train set, everything else has been stuff that I have laying around.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm

It is looking good so far. A real entry into budget model railwaying. Well done! I look forward to watching things progress. I'm also a fan of ideas for layouts controlled from needing no external power source, and I do know that those little locos do last for a fair time on a single battery. In the early 1980's I used to have one of those sets with the exact same loco (The black one) and track. Hardly remember the coaches or wagons. I do remember I had it running outdoors in the spring or summer going through a hole in a grassy bank where our goats used to love. I spent a fond couple of hours watching it going in and out of its little tunnel which was burrowed out with my young hands... :D
Those locos, despite their budget seem to go on and on. Mine outlasted most of its track, and I believe it was eventually dismantled for its motor many years later. It is surprising they are still made after many years of production.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 am

Hi Mountain

Well it certainly is a budget layout, and as the title says 'Festive fun', it isn't meant to be an actual model railway and a lot of things aren't to scale. The train is a great little runner with a single AA battery in the boiler and a motor mounted vertically in the cab, very little to go wrong and no issues with picking up power from the track. The only issue for me is that it goes to quickly, it's not a major problem as it will be a static model most of the time but when/if I get around to it I will look at fitting a resistor or different motor to try and slow it down a bit.

Dave

heda

Postby heda » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 am

Carrying on with the landscaping, more polystyrene added and shaped then covered in newspaper and given a few coats of white artists acrylic. It's starting to look wintery now.

At the other end of the board another layer of mounting card was added to bring the ground level up to the height of the track. Some paving printed off and stuck down. Also some brick effect printed off and stuck to the tunnel entrances.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:24 pm

That looks great, the scenery is feeling a bit Polar Express-esque already.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 pm

With the Polar Express in mind, does the loco need slowing down? :D

heda

Postby heda » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Mountain

Your right with the film, the layout is based on the Polar Express.
Good point about the train actually not needing to go slower, I hadn't thought of it like that. As I bought a couple of sets (one for spares), I might try slowing the other chassis and see which I prefer. Although the train will actually be static most of the time anyway.

Dave

heda

Postby heda » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

With the tree in place on the North pole and lights added, both bought on ebay for just over a pound each it is now beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Next the buildings again I used mounting card for these

The addition of brick paper, slate roof and windows makes them look more like buildings than cardboard boxes.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 pm

That looks amazing so far. It really goes to show that railway modelling does not have to cost a lot and neither does it need to be confined to a real life prototype to look the part. I've never seen one of those little sets made up like this before into any sort of model. Am looking forward to how your coaches end up looking like. :)
Keep going. It is good!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

That is brilliant work Heda, it'll be fun when you get to painting all those little Elves! :lol:

Paul

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Excellent, heda. Brilliant work all round.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

heda

Postby heda » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am

Thank you all for the kind words.

The next job was to find a 'Santa', I looked at cake decorations and surfed ebay but couldn't find anything suitable, then by chance I mentioned it while visiting a friend who had scrapped a OO gauge layout but kept loads of odds and ends. He came up with a few figures, but this one caught my eye, it had exactly the pose I was looking for.

I used filler to give him more of a Santa shape

Then after painting he looked like this

Here he is at the door to his house with the clock just approaching midnight

And with the room lights off and the layout lights on, the led's were another ebay purchase, a whole string of lights for a couple of pounds so there was no wiring involved. The only thing I.m not happy with here is that Santa doesn't show up so well, I might add a light above the door.

The other figure I wanted was the snowman, this was made quite simply with filler, wire for the arms and a piece of thin ribbon for the scarf'

I'm on a family Christmas holiday for a week from tomorrow but I'll post more pictures when I get back.

Dave

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 am

This must be in "HO" scale? :lol:
I can't believe how quickly this has all come together. The Santa and snowman look brilliant! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Ha ha very good.. HO HO HO scale :lol:

Layout looks great. I got an 1:87 Santa from somewhere years ago, and used deer as reindeer! Scratch built sleigh 8)

ng57.jpg

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”