Just starting out

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
MrP

Re: Just starting out

Post by MrP »

Mountain wrote:It is more likely that the board joins make the trackbed bow a bit and put difficult angles then the points themselves. Points work best if they are perfectly flat and the lines before and after them are also flat. Sometimes the frogs (The middle crossing point of the point) can bow upwards and cause issues. In the past I have very carefully hammered in a track pin near this area to keep the points flat, though you may need to drill a hole in a sleeper to do this. Be careful of any wiring or delicate bits underneath which may not be so visible from above the point.
Another possible culprit, especially with the older Hornby diesels or electric locos is the wheels may need the back to backs checked, and also the wheels float around in the bogies a bit too much. I found the old DMU's to be problematic like this. Check the bogies are free to pivot without too much friction also.
I have sat and watched it and yes absolutely correct it is the board joins as it wobbles slightly as it goes over.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You can always use another thin board on top. Even hardboard. Just something to work between the base and the track. I hope all goes well.
MrP

Post by MrP »

Got a car park kit for the station from eBay, looks ok, quite fiddly to glue the parts together. Had some polystyrene which I figured would make the trees stand up so gave it a bit of green pen and glued some left over bricks that were a spare sheet from one of the metcalfe models, looks alright for now.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Looks good, I like the parking pay point.
MrP

Post by MrP »

Won a digital set on eBay last weekend and it arrived today. The locomotive struggled on some of my older track, but once replaced with the bits from the set it came in, all is good. Nice how slow it can run, and then operate an analogue train on the same track. Just need an engine with lights whistles and bells now!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Wow! You are the first person to convert to DCC through winning it as a prize! Things are looking good on your layout. Love the car park. All you need is some 00 gauge coins to use for the ticket machine in the car park.
MrP

Post by MrP »

Mountain wrote:Wow! You are the first person to convert to DCC through winning it as a prize! Things are looking good on your layout. Love the car park. All you need is some 00 gauge coins to use for the ticket machine in the car park.
:lol: coins would be an impressive creation
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Mr P, you say operate an analogue train on the same track. If that's by using address zero on the digital controller do make sure that the analogue loco is isolated from the DCC supply or taken off the track whilst you are running your DCC locos. The constant AC supply will slowly cook the windings of a DC loco and the need to isolate them isn't always made clear in DCC instructions.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
MrP

Post by MrP »

Bufferstop wrote:Mr P, you say operate an analogue train on the same track. If that's by using address zero on the digital controller do make sure that the analogue loco is isolated from the DCC supply or taken off the track whilst you are running your DCC locos. The constant AC supply will slowly cook the windings of a DC loco and the need to isolate them isn't always made clear in DCC instructions.
Ah thanks for that, yes it isn’t made clear at all!
MrP

Post by MrP »

Finally got a pendolino. Both tracks are now ran off the one controller. The pendolino is really fast for my small layout.
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

I also have the preformed roof trusses in my loft, but the amount of rubbish the previous owner had stored up there I felt it was okay to put a support between the trusses each side of the centre walkway and place baseboards on the supports. Hope you can make it out, excuse the mess :oops:
Attachments
MR 1 (6).JPG
MrP

Post by MrP »

Yeah that is great! Support beams would be ideal then lay the boards on top. I made a start on the floor last night by putting one loft board in place :lol:
MrP

Post by MrP »

Made a bakery, printed off some fake cobbled paving and built a water fountain thing. Really need to step up my scenery skills! Some of the posts on the Facebook group I joined are incredibly life like makes mine look like a cartoon :lol:
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

MrP wrote: <Pics removed>
Won a digital set on eBay last weekend and it arrived today. The locomotive struggled on some of my older track, but once replaced with the bits from the set it came in, all is good. Nice how slow it can run, and then operate an analogue train on the same track. Just need an engine with lights whistles and bells now!
Two things to be sure about...
1) NEVER connect both DC & DCC controllers to the track at the same time. If allowed to become connected together there is a huge risk of one or both controllers becoming defective with fatal results!
2) If you use power connecting clips or power track sections ensure they are Digital versions for both controllers. Analogue DC power clips and power track sections have a built in capacitor which if not removed will effect the DCC digital signals and the DCC locos performance. If you're using Analogue clips or analogue track feed section, flip open their plastic cover with a small flat blade screwdriver and inside you will see inside the capacitor (Brownish/orange disk with two wires) cut it out so as no wires of the capacitor are left behind and will not be able to touch each other. Close case. Former analogue clip or track section is now suitable for DC and DCC too.

As stated, its not recommended to run an Analogue loco on digital power even with address 0 (Zero) used. If the non DCC loco is left standing on DCC powered rails the motor is highly likely to burn out eventually! Remember, DCC (Digital) always has full rail volts on the rails all the time regardless of the speed knobs setting, so around 13 to 15 volts AC is on the rails even with nothing moving!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
MrP

Post by MrP »

Loft ladder done and loft floor mostly finished. I will get my layout moved up there and set up for now then start building the boards at the other end of the loft so at least I can have some trains running in the meantime.