Just starting out

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
MrP

Re: Just starting out

Post by MrP »

Hopefully those work ok, will add somore more if they do
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

That looks lots of fun, are all the locos running OK?

That line by the edge of the board scares me though!! Trains can fall off the layout with awful consequences :lol:

https://youtu.be/iQU52jSGbu8
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Just can’t explain how that happened, I think it was down to the many beers consumed!
You will see the same class 37 staring in this months model railway magazine.
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

m.levin wrote:Just can’t explain how that happened, I think it was down to the many beers consumed!
You will see the same class 37 staring in this months model railway magazine.
Ha ha!!! It was not planed
MrP

Post by MrP »

Getting real close to the edge and pretty much off it with the track. I can’t fit another board down on the futon so that’s as much space as I can have for now.
MrP

Post by MrP »

Realised there was a model train shop in carlisle so took a trip, had no idea what I was looking at mostly :lol: but came away with a pack of trees and some sheep as can just be made out in the photo. Also got a metcalfe cardboard model house to build which I am looking forward to going disastrously wrong.

Nice shop though, and a very nice owner who was very happy to chat to a very confused looking person.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You need a line side fence! Those sheep are already bordering onto the cess. :D
Love the Deltic. I have one of those somewhere! :mrgreen:
If you buy a Hornby or Peco right hand point you can reposition the goods shed inside the oval so you have a little more room to fit your track plan onto.
MrP

Post by MrP »

Mountain wrote:You need a line side fence! Those sheep are already bordering onto the cess. :D
If you buy a Hornby or Peco right hand point you can reposition the goods shed inside the oval so you have a little more room to fit your track plan onto.
That’s a good idea, I have a couple of spare points not sure which way they go I will check tomorrow. I need to replace the old track as it has stopped working again in some bits.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

MrP wrote:
Mountain wrote:You need a line side fence! Those sheep are already bordering onto the cess. :D
That’s a good idea, I have a couple of spare points not sure which way they go I will check tomorrow. I need to replace the old track as it has stopped working again in some bits.
Buy some Peco rail joiners and buy a Peco rail cleaning rubber. Hornby railjoiners are OK and Hornby also do a decent rail cleaning rubber.
New nickel silver track is better then the older steel track, but my personal view is to use what you have to get the trains running and later, as you expand, buy nickel silver track for the main running lines and keep the steel track for sidings. That way you have no waste.
MrP

Post by MrP »

First attempt at building a metcalfe model. It’s a bit rough, but I am happy with it even if I have managed to glue everything in the living room together as well as the cardboard. Will definitely be getting some more of them as they are priced well and, although time consuming and extremely stressful, not that bad to build.
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Looks good mate.
you want stressful try scratch building.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Will you be able to double-down on a few, each providing a front and back half relief?

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
MrP

Post by MrP »

Purchased an intercity 225 from eBay which was only £27 in full working order. Needed a few runs round the loop to free it up but it is now running really well.

https://youtu.be/pNDUyXgK1oU

The old bits of silver track I have are definitely dead, but I am reluctant to replace them as I don’t know what I will be using when I put everything in the loft which will likely be starting in a couple of weeks with boarding it out. The cross over and the points are really struggling so I guess I could replace those as I will no doubt use them later on.
MrP

Post by MrP »

Emettman wrote:Will you be able to double-down on a few, each providing a front and back half relief?

Chris
I have been looking at kits like that and definitely seems a good way to go, especially for background pieces. I may try and build a street of buildings using the front sections kits they do.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Coming on in leaps and bounds. :)
If you fancy 2 of the shell tankers on your layout I'd be happy to swap for the English china clays wagon or the brown GW van? :mrgreen:
Also for making up buildings have you seen the Wordsworth range from Mike here on the forum?
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread