Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue May 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Wow, suddenly a hive of activity after nothing for a couple of months - welcome back :D
Looks like you have quite a workshop there now - be interested what you can make with it 8)

Jules

Postby Jules » Tue May 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Looks great!! Love the photos! Can't wait to see what you make next...
Last edited by Jules on Tue May 05, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm

I have quite a few little projects in mind.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 pm

Just to record on this thread as I also covered it on another thread. A while ago I decided to set myself a challenge to make a waggon out of lollypop sticks and tea sturers. Just to keep my creations on this thread here it is (Again!)

I started on the base.
Attachments
20200314_115014-1.jpg
20200314_115026-1.jpg
20200314_141313-1.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 05, 2020 9:23 pm

Then I worked on the axlebox assemblies. Holes were drilled to hold the wheel axles. The parts were assembled into sub structures and then glued into position. Nails were used temporarily to ensure everything was made to equal heights so when the wheels were ficed to the waggon that it would run well.
Attachments
20200505_170737-1.jpg
20200505_171003-1.jpg
20200505_171831-1.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 05, 2020 9:27 pm

Once the wheels were in position and tested for trueness and to ensure it ran well,the rest of the body was assembled and made.

There is still more work to go on it like the buffers and coupling loops, a little weight to glue on the underside, and then painting.
Attachments
20200505_175608-1.jpg
20200505_175701-1.jpg
20200505_204544-1.jpg

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue May 05, 2020 11:41 pm

It has an air of industrial authenticity. I can see it at a mine, a slate quarry or a brickworks, or something like that.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 am

Mountain's Wagon Works are in full swing. :D

Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 06, 2020 11:39 am

Thank you both. There are a few items of stock including two locomotives that need finishing in the workshops, along with many pre-built coach sides etc. Enough to cope with the crowds when the line is officially opened and the trains will be running. The industries dotted along the route are all excited to hear of the forthcoming trains, as using both two and four legged means along pathways and tracks has been limiting.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am

That wagon looks very good - with lots of character :D - can't wait to see how it looks after painting. Might be interested in trying something like that myself . . . :?:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Go for it. The main consideration is to have the four wheels sitting level on the track. It does not matter quite so much if the body is not 100% square as one can file or sand etc. I doubt some of the real ones were that perfect on some of the little lines, especially after years of use.
There is something special about using wood for wooden vehicles ad tin for metal vehicles. Yes, it maybe harder to get smaller details to look right (I dont as I prefer to keep things simple), but they seem to look right just by using the corect materials for the job.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed May 06, 2020 1:52 pm

Mountain wrote:There is something special about using wood for wooden vehicles ad tin for metal vehicles.

Yes I have recently (re)discovered balsa - and used it for my wooden station shelter; it really looked like wood (i.e. with a grain) and could be scraped slightly after painting to reveal bare wood patches. I liked it! Not used anything other than plastic for rolling stock yet though . . .

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 06, 2020 3:12 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:
Mountain wrote:There is something special about using wood for wooden vehicles ad tin for metal vehicles.

Yes I have recently (re)discovered balsa - and used it for my wooden station shelter; it really looked like wood (i.e. with a grain) and could be scraped slightly after painting to reveal bare wood patches. I liked it! Not used anything other than plastic for rolling stock yet though . . .

I use ordinary pine because balsa (Apart from cost) is light, and some waggons I build need extra weight. Often pine is heavy enough if one uses thicker pieces like the internal H design that I use. The recent build will need a little extra weight. If I had used an internal H design frame via doubleing up on lollypop sticks to double their thickness, and then extending the height a little so that the wheels have sufficient clearance. It maybe something I can experiment with in the future.
Balsa does look a nice material to shape for roofs etc.
I sometimes brushpaint and then wipe the paint with my finger or smudge it up and down with my fingers and thumbs to distress the paint, and the wood starts to show through.

manna

Postby manna » Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 pm

G'Day Gents

Love the 'Flying Pallet', ingenious..........

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 06, 2020 11:40 pm

Thanks Manna.

Sticking to the budget theme, even the paint itself has seen better days. You know when you try and rescue old oil paint and it comes out more like shoe polish then paint? Well. That has happened here but I may as well use what's left of it on my model. It has given it a lovely "Used" look. Just how I like it! Real wood is easier like this. I don't have to paint it and then weather it. I can give it a distressed look using its origional paint. If I am using fresh new paint I tend to patter it with thumb and finger prints until it looks distressed and faded. Building out of wood and using these methods to paint I call "The easy way" as it is something that almost anyone can do. I will take better photos another time as it is late evening so I am using torches to compensate for the lack of daylight brightness.
I also need to go easy as paint fumes can set me off into a partial shutdown, so the window is open and the door, and the models are right on the other side of the room. (I also painted the bufferbeams on a loco while I had the paints out).
Attachments
20200506_231949-1.jpg

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”