Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
footplate1947

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Postby footplate1947 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 pm

I must say MG I commend you for the work you are putting in. It is brilliant work. Watching the progress and enjoying the every step of the way. That is what I call railway modelling. I could not do that.............john
It worked last time I used it..............John

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 pm

I keep having to remind myself that the track is 16.5mm, looks good for NG. If you can see NG sleepers they shouldn't be too close together, or remain above ground too long. If you can add some grass growing between them it's even better.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am

Many thanks everyone for your kind comments and suggestions. Just incase anyone is puzzled. The two rows of circular holes will have platforms over them.

joshv8 wrote:Great to see some progress Mountain! Ive been waiting to see some work on your layout. Im in awe of your work creating your own track and point levering system.
Do you find the baseboard was lightened significantly with the holes in place?
Did I catch that right your going for a tropical theme? Did you have plans for what you want to run goods or passengers?

Yes, the baseboards are lighter now, but I expect they will end up heavier when I add the scenery.

I was half thinking of a type of British run railway on a tropical/jungle sort of island... though it depends on what will fit. I have some interesting buildings and features obtained from an unusual source (I couldn't resist when I saw them!) which, if I can blend them into the scenery on such a small layout without making things too crampt looking, it may work extremely well. It is not always easy to visualize scenes in a three dimentional image where some buildings will need raised ground while I also need to lower the ground for added effect. Some thought will be needed here.

I am going to run both goods and passenger services. A passenger train will trundle through a warm but damp enviroment, windows part misted up... Maybe the odd little waggon at the rear while the train is running...
I also have the idea of highlighting contrasts To make the colours stand out...
Another idea I had was to have a type of scene I have in a book where one looks down to see a Welsh quarry below... (Though space won't let me do this).

Though jungles are usually fullmof greens and browns, I want greys as in my mind, grey as a background brings interest to the scenic formations and any colour of trees and other plants along with brightly painted trains will really looks something special... So I don't quite know yet.

The buildings I have are ready painted and look supurb. But I am toying with an idea to paint them myself so that they blend in better. I don't think I will match the quality of the origional painter of these buildings, but I will end up with a consistent look, which is more important. I will see how things go and look, so if I do paint them, I'm not in a hurry to do so...

I could show some pictures of the buildings and scenic features I have purchased, or will that spoil the future surprize? :D

Just a little footnote. What I am making may look difficult, but it is merely trial and error. The joy of experimenting with things. I don't consider myself that tallented. It is more I have adopted a more traditional approach. I believe the difference to success and failure (And I have had many such past failures from my teens onwards, and still do) is more through altering design ideas and using more suitable materials and tools then being tallented. Just look at my soldering! :) One thing that is very different in my approach compared to when I was younger. I have patience. I am not in a rush to build things. I spend time thinking about things for ages before I build them. I find the thought process fun! If anything, the thought process (As I am a very visual thinker and a slow but deep thinker) is the part I believe I enjoy the most! I think daydreaming in todays fast pace of life is very underated).
Last edited by Mountain on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

Keep us guessing, you've got us hooked!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

heda

Postby heda » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Yes make it a surprise, much more interesting.
Like you I enjoy thinking about the layout, I spend more time thinking than doing. Anyway whilst thinking I came up with an idea as you are doing a tropical setting with a lake how about a small beach sunbathers and swimmers.
Dave

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Im in agreement surprise is best! The narrow gauge and tropical setting makes me think of a tourist attraction we had here in Queensland in the 80s where there was a narrow gauge railway running through a pineapple plantation.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Ok. A surprize... My idea of a tropical/jungle type look maybe slightly different but we shall see. :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:31 pm

I would love to have the indoor space to make a model of the old amunitions factory... I add the map on this tread as well so I can find it. There were both complex standard gauge and a narrow gauge systems with tracks dissapearing into various tunnels... Even today the remains generate interest.
The bottom left of the map are the narrow gauge system. The rest are standard gauge.

(This map has nothing to do with my layout plans).
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-10-27-21-19-54-1.png

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 pm

I was out taking my Mum shopping today and while some shops I couldn't go in, one shop which is nice ans spacious I was fine. And I happened to come across some toy trains . I don't know if any of you remember a couple of years ago where I converted a toy coach for 7mm narrow gauge use? I have yet to convert its couplings and finish it off... Well. I found where the coach had come from. It is with these little push along toy trains.

They either come in blue or red. I saw some at Porthmadog on the Ffestiniog railway station for £7.99. However, when I happened to call in a local shop, here they are at £4.99 each.

So £9.98 spend and here I am with two future projects.

Also of note, the locos. Ok, they seem toylike. But taking a closer look at them and I can see a lovely curved saddletank and its boiler. It is to the right scale as well. The coaches are ever so slightly arrow compared to the Smallbrook kits and Peco kits... But on the real narrow gauge railways, different widths and heights and lengths are often to be seen, and they can be found a lot narrower then that!
So where I was considering converting my single bogie coach into two smaller 4 wheel coaches to match the other coaches... Well. I could either end up with six short coaches if I am very clever, or I can end up with three bogie coaches. I am not 100% sure which what direction I am going to choose as yet. But as bogie coaches go, with suitable bogie flat waggons to use for the underframes, and layers of plasticard to build up the doorways and blank off the one open vestuble door end... And to drill and file out the opposite doorways and we have some nice budget coaches to use on my 7mm narrow gauge railway... (Assuming they will stay on the track with my sharp curves. The one I already converted does when I push it with my finger... We shall see.

Note the single sided inset doors on the coach and note the 'Fixed' (Fixed as in no bogies) non flanged wheels on the coach and the loco.
Attachments
20191107_190203-1.jpg
20191107_185552-1.jpg
20191107_190540-1.jpg
20191107_185622-1.jpg
20191107_190351-1.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Some more photos of the unfinished conversion I had previously done. Unfinishes because I have yet to replace the couplings and number the coach etc. Small details etc... It has.a shortened Triang bogie flat car as a chassis. Note the difference between either end and how new doorways have been made along with sealing up the end vestible door which was open to the elements. See page 7 for views of rhe coach body and page 5 for a view of when the coach was in its origional blue colour with the white plasticard new vestible door.
Attachments
20191107_194634-1.jpg
20191107_194756-1.jpg
20191107_194823-1.jpg
20191107_194906-1.jpg
20191107_194919-1.jpg

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:13 am

Using those toy trains is a great idea, Mountain. One of the bonuses of working in 7mm scale I guess. When my daughter was small, she got a real cheapo train set for Christmas one year (probably from Aldi's or somewhere like that) in 00 scale. Like you I immediately thought 'can I use that for anything once she gets bored with watching a train go round in circles?' Sadly it was not to be..it was horrible, really badly made and only really fit for the bin - no conversion material there!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Years ago I read an article about scratchbuilding in 00 gauge, and the person made several nice models before taking on 7mm narrow gauge. This puzzled me. Why 7mm narrow gauge?
I can see it now. How much easier 7mm scale is to make things, and yet one still uses 00 gauge chassis, wheels and drive mechanisms. It couldn't be better. I mean... Well, I love all railways, but I am having so much fun in this scale and size. I find things like coffee sturers to be just the right size. Often see kids toys which are just right, from tractors and farm vehicles to animals and even a modern battery operated windmill. It is impressive.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:28 am

Yesterday I purchased these. Should come in handy somehow somewhere. I don't expect miracles as they were cheap, though they maybe good. They say they are made from stainless steel.
Attachments
20191128_103047-1-1.jpg

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:35 am

Ahh coffee stirrers. No modeller should leave a cafe without some. :lol:
Where did you get that tool set please Mountain?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:05 pm

It was in one of those budget shops that is similar to the old pound shops in New Quay in South Wales (UK). I think they only had that one set there. It had two prices on it. It was £5, and then later had a £3.75 price on it. (Or was it £3.50? Can't remember).
It says they are wax carving chisels. I will use them for Das modelling clay and things like that.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”