Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks GreenBR.
I believe I can add the plastic table instead of the vice. It depends what I am working on I guess. I may find it more useful as a horizontal miller as I can visualize using it like a mini planer to reduce wood to the right thickness for using it as a waggon chassis. Mind you, in this upright configuration it is ideal if I use it with a drill bit instead, and drill wheel holes in chassis. I know I have a minidrill and a stand, but this is a little more accurate as I can screw a guide to the table so all wheel holes end up in the same place.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

I just had a go at milling a piece of wood and it works well. The only limiting factors are the ranges of the slides, and maybe it is not suited for harder materials. The Metalline I have does have a great range of its main slide so I could use this if I need to. Also the Metalline slides are silky smooth in their operation. These cheaper plastic slides tend to jerk a little which is ok with soft materials but if I was to try milling something tough, I would want a very gentle approach, as the milling tool does work hard.
HI am enjoying this. :D

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Is just an experiment to learn how the miller works. A little box! I was going to make aa hole right through but I decided I didn't want to risk milling the little plastic vice, so it has ended up as a box with a small hole in it.
Attachments
IMG_20190207_134938.jpg
IMG_20190207_134955.jpg
IMG_20190207_135014.jpg

manna

Postby manna » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:12 pm

G'Day Gents

I like your little box with half a hole in it, it reminds me of one of the horse watering troughs, that used to be all over the place, when I was a kid.

I even backed my truck into one, up in the East End one day. :shock: that would have been about 1973/4.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:29 pm

they were a hang on from the old days left as a tribute to gone by age, cannot even think when i last saw one, i think the last i saw had a liner and plants in it, so many items of their era have slowly disappeared, I get quite sad, especially when you see the speed recent signal boxes have disappeared replaced by souls metal boxes, even the good old red postbox is gone, mobile phones making them pretty much defunct, even their blue and glass replacements also removed. Even the worthy preservation stations rarely have some of those often seen items, such a shame. Hope you manage to find home for one on the layout :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:56 pm

I have not yet fully decided what will end up on my layout. All I can say is that it is not going to be a conventional scene. I am going to have some fun here with a tropical UK based theme with an interesting story involving a characterful individual.. It will be fun. I probably will include my new plantpot, and it will be easy to make some more. :)
Thanks for the reply.
Water trough... Does look similar. The ones round here in fields are galvanized metal or some are old baths.

manna

Postby manna » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 am

G'Day Gents

Google 'Granite Horse Trough' plenty to look through, some look remarkably like yours.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:36 pm

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Google 'Granite Horse Trough' plenty to look through, some look remarkably like yours.

manna

Thanks Manna. Well, I now know I can make a horse trough! :) Just need a horse to go with it! :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Just trying out some ideas. I was looking for plastic to turn to make some wheels but at the moment not a lot comes to hand. (Plastic is an insulator so ideal for metal axles. I don't need wheels. I just want to make some!) Now I did have some wooden dowel handy. Not sure what it came off other then some sort of tree! It is close grain so it is not pine. Not sure. The wood was used for something before I found it and said "Hmmm" but I can't remember what. I think it was going to be firewood.
Anyway, I thought I would put it in the lathe to evaluate its useability and so far it is giving results beyond what I had expected. I have not yet fully worked on the flange, as to do this I want to first drill out the centre and then mount it on a mandrel so I am not machining too close to the chuck. I could even take the chuck off and mount the mandrel in a collett if it poses an issue, but I don't see it will be a concern. It is more of an issue is how thin dare I turn the flange? It is currently at about 1mm wide or just over. Fine for a waggon for display use, but it would be nice to actually run what I make, so we shall see how things go. That's enough experimenting for one evening. :D

While I am writing this I do have an idea. The wood wheel is ideal for being a type of template to form wheels... It looks like more experimenting will arrive further down the line!
Attachments
IMG_20190211_231924_718.JPG

Jaz

Postby Jaz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:44 pm

I love put this to one side items, and see what i can do with it, especially when whatever you do with it ends up of value on the layout - or indeed anywhere else :) Many an engineering layout incorporates empty plastic bottles and miscellaneous items, and with you actually popping on the lathe, you are one step up go for it! :D

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:09 pm

I enjoy experimenting. Many things may not ever be used, but are a process of finding out the ideas that work and those that don't work. Knowing what does not work is just as valuable as knowing what does work.
Also, using tools like a mini lathe and learning techniques are all part of the experimental process. I have not tried horizontal milling yet. I need to take it easy while milling, especially so that my fingers don't end up anywhere near the milling tool.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:14 pm

I have not done anything much on the layout or its stock of late as my efforts have been towards other avenues. However, I do have plans.
I also am one that spends a lot of time thinking before I go ahead and make something. Not all my model railway related thoughts go towards my layout or my stock (My stock, be it locomotives or what they pull tend to be a little more involved due to the nature of modelling in 7mm narrow gauge in that everything I have has to be built or converted etc, so in a way are little projects in themselves. It is all part of the fun!). Some of my thoughts are along the lines of shareing practical ways to enable others to enter into the hobby without spending money they may not have to spend, as nothing prevents someone trying a new hobby then a glimpse of the prices and it need not be this way.
Today I was in a car boot sale. I looked round. I hardly had anything to spend. I was surprized to see a 1970's Hornby trainset. Looking at it, I was evalueing what was practical in it. It had a pannier (GWR 57xx) and three wagons, a battery controller and track. The track was old steel track so I would not have any need for it myself. The controller... Not really as I used to have one years ago. It worked from two 6volt torch batteries. It was either off, half speed (One battery) or full speed (Two batteries). It worked but not really my thing. The value is in the loco and the wagons. The loco... About £20 (£30 if immaculate in its individual box (This was a set so would be unboxed if seperated). Wagons about £4 each. Out of interest, I asked the price. The gentleman wanted £30 for it. Not a bargain but there again. Not really overpriced considering the practicality of the set to someone like me. Now it was out of my league pricewize and also not what I was after. I love those panniers as one if them was my first loco. However, I don't need one so that was that.
I did however make a purchase of a little model car which cost very little, was roughly the right scale and looked the part, so I plan to use it on my layout.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:10 pm

The first loco I bought with my own money was a 57XX Pannier...in 1975 :o

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am

The one that I had (My first loco but indirectly so... as I didn't have it long and furry carpet got stuck in the cogs when I was about six, and it was sent for repair. The man in the shop who took it apart lost the bits but sold my mum a direct replacement for trde price which was I think about half the RRP price). Since then the loco did quite a high milage as far as models go and actually ended up my smoothest and quietest runner. It was on par with todays locos in regards to its running qualities, but from new it was quite noisy. I sold it somewhere around the early to mid 1990's.

Berryman

Postby Berryman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Hello Mountain, your layout is progressing nicely. I'll follow with a great interest. Maybe I'll borrow a few ideas for mine if you don't mind. :lol:
I wanna play trains too ! Image

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”