Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshv8

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Postby joshv8 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Ahh so some wheels will be on the horizon?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:57 pm

One technique to avoid is setting up a job In the chuck and trying to finish it with emery paper, I did that as an apprentice and it resulted in my thumbnail being pulled clean out when the emery paper snagged on the job - painful :o

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 pm

In the past I have used a small file on wheels. It works. :lol:
Yes, having fun experimenting with wheels is one item on the agenda.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:14 pm

I have had a quick test and bear in mind that having very little lathe experience other then a day or two on a massive lathe that was longer then our living room, and others set up the lathe tools for me, I will say that this Metalline lathe is a significant improvement on the Unimat 1. I have not turned that much so far on it. Only scratched the surface where I left off with the Unimat 1, and the tiny lathe tool included in the set... Well. I don't know how strong it is, but so far going very slowly on a pair of modern pennies (Which are no longer made from copper but have a magnetic material included in the mix) I have to say that things are looking up.
I don't know how the Unimat Metalline compares with a conventional micro lathe, as the Unimat 1 and Unimat Metalline would be under the micro lathe category rather then a mini lathe which would normally be twice the size (The lathe bed piece is 28cm long. Longer beams are an optional extra as are motor upgrades etc) it seems to do what I expect it to do. Go easy and gentle and it happily performs. I would expect a dedicated traditional micro lathe to have the upper edge here, but this is so universal that to the home modeller into model railways it should satisfy.
If one wants to turn steel then one would be better on a dedicated traditional lathe. I expect it would be possible on this but I would be happier with a beefier lathe tool and the lcoins which are turning from achuck may struggle to hold the work. They don't say it is suitable for harder metals but I didn't expect it to be.
A gentle approach certainly works with these coins. As I'm turning the colour is changing to a dull silver so it gives an indication that it is a steel and copper mix? I don't actually know. I can't really try to work it faster as I have already snapped a mandril trying to hole them tight enough.
In conclusion, those who are interested in the Unimat 1. If you can afford a little extra the Unimat metalline is a much improved machine.
Attachments
IMG_20190118_134524.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:22 am

While I have the Unimat set up as a lathe, I decided to get an old Triang plastic wheel out to see if it can be improved. These are the type of wheels that are found on the axles which don't have pinpoints. It is a curiosity thing just to see if I can make use of them. To keep things simple, I've used a flat wheel profile but tilted the lathe tool so that the flange is at a slight angle. (I know I often mention about wheel profile... Maybe I will set the Unimat 1as well so it can add a profile after the basic turning is complete.
I also thinned out the back and reduced the flange depth. What I didn't do was to take measurements but via the adjustable settings on the slide hand wheels, I do have a rough idea of where things should be. Actually, if I work it out this should be quite accurate if I turn other wheels to the same setting. Some wheels are quite miss shaped or warped so whatever I can do is surely going to be a bonus.
The plan is to glue them onto new axles as I have cut the old axle surround off the rear of the wheels.
All going well, no doubt they will find themselves on a waggon or two.
I don't have any photos as yet. As I write this it has just gone past four in the morning. :shock: I have had a sleep but woken up again, and now with ideas and thoughts of trains... :D OK. When I get a little time tomorrow... (Today!) or whenever, I will do a little more.
Turning the metal disc into a wheel certainly has possibilities, and it is not really the Metalline that I am concerned with (Though I could do with a stronger lathe tool just in case) but the mandrel. I have broken one in over tightening it, and I don't wat to break another. If I had a thin but long nut and bolt I can use instead, it would be stronger then the tiny shaft of the bolt the mandrel has. The mandrel is only designed for mounting lightweight cutting discs for use with the minidrill. I will see if I can come up with a nut and bolt. If I can't it is back to the mandrel. The mandrel is fine for use on the plastic wheels as plastic is softer so has less strain when being turned.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 am

Sounds like you're having fun, if its keeping you awake (in a good way!) . . . :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:40 am

Haha. Yes.
I need to spend a little more time with the trains as I have neglected them a bit. I have quite a few projects to finish. Couplings comes to mind. Not a big job but is one that once I had a few working I seemed to leave them and move to the next project. Yet without couplings I am stuck!

Helping my brother make barn doors took some time recently. Neccessary work if we want to keep things dry inside as we get sea mists up here.

The one difficulty is to decide on progressing on the layout or progressing on the stock. Both can be fun. I may make progress on the layout first. Then once I get the trains to run, I then will concentrate on some of the trains and stock before the scenic work is done.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Recently I was visiting my local store that has an area selling fish. I was checking out wheelbarrow prices, but when I saw these lovely things, how could I resist?
So my layout is going to be interesting. Trains passing through various plant growth.... I like it!
Attachments
IMG_20190203_143732.jpg
IMG_20190203_143807.jpg

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Hmmm, judging by their (scale) size, are you planning a rainforest for your layout :lol:

I don't see any white stuff out your windows - unlike out of mine where its still several inches thick . . . ?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:41 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Hmmm, judging by their (scale) size, are you planning a rainforest for your layout :lol:

I don't see any white stuff out your windows - unlike out of mine where its still several inches thick . . . ?

It's the 'sunny climate' in Wales. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm

glencairn wrote:
PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Hmmm, judging by their (scale) size, are you planning a rainforest for your layout :lol:

It's the 'sunny climate' in Wales. :lol:

Glencairn

Yeah, I remember during the long dry summer last year when our back garden was brown and there was barely a blade of grass around here that was still green - on a day trip to Swansea Uni I swear that the second we'd crossed the M4 bridge, suddenly the countryside was verdant green again :lol:! That's Wales for you . . . !

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:59 pm

Snows gone now.
A tropical island maybe on the cards with connections to Captain Whitebeard.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:47 pm

Probably more of a toy then for serious work, nevertheless, it works and does a job. I have set up my older 6v Unimat 1 with parts from the Unimat Classic, being a bench type jig saw attachment. After a few adjustments I gave it a try and had it cutting PCB board, though slowly. If I wanted to make sleepers it would be a bit time consuming, but it is good for accurate work with softer materials like softwoods (E.g. thin pine that I will be cutting and hobbyist plyboards etc).
The good thing is that I can keep this as it is while I can dedicate the other tools to other uses. Ideal for my little workshop...
Maybe in future years I will get a circular type table saw if I am careful with my fingers. At least this tool above is made with a short stroke, which means if my fingers touch the jigsaw type blade it won't hurt my skin, unlike a circular saw which has potential to do some harm.
I am happy though just to have something different in my little collection of tools. :) No doubt I will be putting it to work in the future.
Attachments
IMG_20190205_233121.jpg
IMG_20190205_233153.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 am

And here is the miller. :) Not tried using it as a miller yet. Quite a versatile machine. It makes a difference having spares to set them up like this. It takes a while to set the machines up so it is quicker to set them up like this. It also gives me a chance to use the strengthening plates as one tends to leave them out due to the extra time to put the things on. The plates are designed to be used when one decides to work tougher materials. They keep things rigid and stop things flexing, not that there is much flex. The early Unimat 1's don't have these and neither do the basic Unimat 1 sets. The Unimat 1 classic 6 in 1 does and so does the Metalline. For the miller it is an L shaped bracket. I believe a flat plate can be used as a steady by leaving some screws loose so they can move with the upper slide. I may experiment like this in the future, though my upper slide is stiff through lack of use.
The flat plates are thick heavy things which are ideal to use when one sets it up as a lathe. They make it sturdy.
This is the vertical miller set up. They can also be used as a horizontal miller. There is an accessory to allow other angles as well. (Also it can be done without this accessory, but the extra accessory makes things easier).

I must say that setting these things up is like playing with Lego. Not quite so easy at first, but now I am getting the hang of things it's like child's play! I dare say one can set them up in different ways to how the manufacturer intended with a little thought. Not sure what practical use this could be though, but it could give possibilities.
Attachments
IMG_20190206_030900.jpg

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:01 am

Hello,
If you think of it as a lathe on its side with the work piece stationary that might give you some ideas fo use.
Maybe..........
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”