Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Postby Chops » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:09 pm

A lathe would be a dangerous thing for me- I'd probably wind my scarf in it. Great to see the shop turning out these exquisite narrow gauge beauties. I admire rail modellers who can stick to one focus. Very difficult challenge for me- the cost of shipping from the UK is what holds me from completely going overboard.

The venerable Smokey Joe. Is it waiting on its rebuild?
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 pm

It is one of the locos that is waiting for me to one day make it into 7mm narrow gauge loco. I have two or three kits waiting for me to build one day. :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:01 pm

I thought that I would add a picture or two of the little "Bridge rails" which bridge across the two boards of the layout. I used up some previously used sleepers, hence the extra solder. I did try the solder sucker.
Anyway. I now have locomotives zooming round my layout at speed. Little clockwork ones. Ok. Some of the little locos need their wheels straightening so they will keep to the rails, but it has been fun!
backscenes and electrics will go hand in hand as some of the control panel will need the backscenes in place to work out where everything will fit. Plenty of time to work things out.
Attachments
IMG_20181121_231830.jpg
IMG_20181123_102349_254.JPG

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:31 am

Its been too long since your last update Mountain! Glad to see things are moving foward.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:47 pm

I have had a few trains zooming round the layout... Clockwork trains.
The layout... Yes. It has been slow. It is getting myself motivated in the "Make or build things" direction. Most of the time I spend is in the mental thought process relating to my next "Make or build things" stage.
I am sometimes side tracked as the last workings on the layout involved using it as a table to sort a collection of wheels. I have plans for them which involves using up an L shaped plastic length along with an old caravan curtain holder from an old Thompson caravan.
Attachments
20181127_175513-1.jpg

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 am

Gee one of the first train sets I ever had was one of those red plastic ones. I only would have maybe been 3 or 4. I remember my uncle giving it to me for my birthday. I also remember mum throwing it out years later thinking it was rubbish. Werent they made by hornby?

minipix

Postby minipix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:34 pm

I have a couple of those wind-up locos too, although the winder needs squashing back together so that it actually grips the mechanism in the loco - at the moment it just spins around and doesn't charge anything up. They are pretty rubbish for 'serious' modellers, but I remember using them as a kid, and when I was a little older insisting that my little brother only use those because I didn't trust him with the motorised ones! But I guess they have their uses in testing track before adding electricity.
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 pm

I purchased them recently for an attractive price. I thought "Why not?" At least I can run something regardless of track power. I don't actually have that much to do to get the electrics done as it is a small layout. It is more of a case of getting other things done and in their right places before I make a start on building a little control panel for the switches and the overload bulbs etc. Also need somewhere to put the battery.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 am

I've recently acquired some better equipment for making bits and pieces and first impressions are positive. I will see how I get on and report back how good the equipment is compared to what I already have. I have not had the chance to try it out yet, but I rather expect from first impressions a rather positive result. Certainly first impressions are of exceptional quality (When compared to my previous investment a few years ago) which should give improved results. The good thing is that the few accessories I have with the old equipment can be used with the new equipment which may give a clue as to what it might be.

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:27 am

Mountain wrote:I've recently acquired some better equipment for making bits and pieces and first impressions are positive. I will see how I get on and report back how good the equipment is compared to what I already have. I have not had the chance to try it out yet, but I rather expect from first impressions a rather positive result. Certainly first impressions are of exceptional quality (When compared to my previous investment a few years ago) which should give improved results. The good thing is that the few accessories I have with the old equipment can be used with the new equipment which may give a clue as to what it might be.

It sounds like youve got a new bride :lol:

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:40 am

So you will be Printing then....
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 pm

A lathe methinks :P
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Mountain wrote:I've recently acquired some better equipment for making bits and pieces

Are you being as vague as possible on purpose to keep us all in suspense? :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Timbersurf has it. I've not tried it yet. It is a better version of what I already had which gives me the option to mix and match. Ive not tried it as yet, but from looking at it, the quality is impressive with smooth and silky slides and heavy metal components. I picked up the tailstock and it feels twice the weight as I thought it was. The headstock bearings are silky smooth. So fair play. My first impressions are positive. I will have a fiddle with it soon... :lol: I have taken a photo, but it is on the other tablet. Will swop tablets in a bit so I can show a pic.
Amended. Here it is. Though it looks similar to the Unimat 1 Classic, it is a much more precise tool. It even has an adjustment to tighten up the slides if they are a little loose as far as I can see. Not that it needs it. Everything is metal and fits together nicely.
II will assemble it soon.
Attachments
IMG_20190115_095043.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm

I was assembling it in the early hours of this morning. It is a heavy thing for its size when it has been assembled. Everything goes together solidly and it feels a heavy rigid machine. Unimat 1 classic I also have does not feel quite as solid. It is also about half the weight as this metal version. This version should be ok on the tougher stuff by the feel of it. I think I will try it on the metalic discs that I put on the mandrill. I should have drilled smaller holes in the discs as the mandrill bolt part is twice as thin as the holes. See how things go.
This metalline set comes with the same high speed motor (20,000 rpm 2A) as the Unimat 1, not that it is an issue so far. There is a larger lower revving but more powerful upgrade called the powerline. There is also an option of a reduction kit to reduce the speed further if required. Other options are a divider thing and a gear cutting thing to go with it, a fly cutter, a circular saw and various other equipment and accessories, a long lathe bench also comes to mind. Of corse, CNC upgrades are an option but for me that spoils the fun!
So far as I can see, the main advantages of the metalline are that there seems to be no play in the slides (Which are adjustable if there is play on this version), everything is heavier and more solid, it all goes together as solid pieces. For example, the riser blocks are made from metal and dont move when tightened up. On the Unimat 1 they are plastic. Ok, they are solid enough but they dont feel the same as metal. The metal to metal clamps down as if they were not two pieces in the first place.
I still have not tested it, but from the impressions so far I am well pleased.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”