Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post by Mountain »

This did require effort, but was easier then I expected. I will need to cut again as the cab is not going to fit unless I do. I plan to be raising the whole cab area to match the bonnet using the same width plasticard. While I dont do things the easy way (By using the intended Toby the Tram chassis), the extra work has not been too difficult to do so far as it has all been done in stages and I've not come across any major snags. I am taking my time so I can do a reasonably decent job.
At the moment, I'm undecided as if I'm going to cut down the width of the steps on the sides of the footplate, as they are too wide to fit my loco lift. All the other stock either fits, or has been adapted to fit the loco lift. This diesel is going to be tight if I decide to do it as the bufferbeams themselves dont have a lot of clearance on the depth and sides. My main concern if I thin the steps down, is with the durability they will have.
Pete

Post by Pete »

From memory cutting blocks of lead was hard work as the swarf is so malleable it clogs the saw blade.
Use a coarse saw and prepping the blade with French chalk does the trick. Chalk also works with files if you want to file it into shape, it stops them clogging up.

P.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Thanks Pete. Is a good idea.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I've been busy. I'm working on the steps at the moment. I've reduced the width of the steps so that the loco can fit my loading gauge, which is based upon what fits my loco lift. I've added the cab floor at the desired height. I've filed down the weight a little to make the body fit better. The bonnet is now glued to the cab front. They seem little things, but they are a leap forward in the construction of the model.
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Sounds like some more pics are due soon :-)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Yes. Pictures... But you will have to look carefully to compare. It doesn't look like much, but there's been quite a bit of progress. Notice that the steps now fit my loading gauge (The width of the steps has been reduced). I may need to add a strengthener on the inside of the rear steps in the form of a piece of metal paperclip.
Also notice the cab floor has not only been raised, but the hole in the floor has been covered (Not the hole where the screw or bolt will go through).
Attachments
IMG_20180330_191702.jpg
IMG_20180330_191721.jpg
IMG_20180330_191656.jpg
IMG_20180330_191640.jpg
IMG_20180330_191630.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I like to bring to the attention of anyone else who is building this kit using the desegnated Toby the tram chassis that you need to bring the radiator to be flush (Or just about flush) with the front bufferbeam. The reason for this is the body is designed to use the whole length of the chassis. For my loco, I've been somewhat restricted to where I can place the bonnet part of the body due to where the motor and the weight for the motor is. (I've already needed to cut the weight in half).
I will remedy the situation by either shortening the rear fuel tank if I'm able to (I'm going to do some test drills to check there is no lead shot in the part as it does seem heavy. (Some Smallbrook Studio parts do have added weight to them to improve the locos hauling power, though resin itself is much heavier then plastic. If there is lead shot in it, I'd rather not start reducing the width as though I could do this, as resin is softer then lead, one can have difficulty in sanding a straight line etc.
The second option is to reduce the width of the cab sides. While this is an easier option to do, I prefer to aim for the first option as it will give a better overall look and give more room for the people inside the cab.
To be continued.....!
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Mountain wrote:I like to bring to the attention of anyone else who is building this kit using the desegnated Toby the tram chassis that you need to bring the radiator to be flush (Or just about flush) with the front bufferbeam. The reason for this is the body is designed to use the whole length of the chassis.
Not sure I follow - you mean modification is required for the kit to fit the chassis it is designed for . . . ?
It does look flush in the Smallbrook photo.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

If you take a look at mine, I've set the radiator back a bit then compared to the one on the Smallbrook Studio photograph. My photo on the bag that the kit came in is a bit worse for wear so I didnt notice it and didnt notice it on the instructions either as I was more concerned about getting the kit to fit with the new chassis I'm using. It will all work out in the end. If one is using the intended chassis (Normally Toby the tram engine or, if specified a chassis from one of Bachmann junior 0-6-0 shunters), then mount the radiator just about flush with the bufferbeam to ensure the length of the body fits the footplate frame which the bufferbeams are attached to.
I hope this makes it clear andn it makes sense. :)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

One step back, one step forward?
[More progress on the diesel shunter].

I've painted the internal parts of the cab which is actually the second paint I've used. The first was a rescued tin of paint being around 20-30 years old. It looked OK. A bit grainy. However, once dry and starting to glue the sides, I noticed the paint rubbing off where my fingers had touched it. So it was a scrub down with soap and water and I stead of light blue the paint is now a nice brown, which should suit the outside paint colour (I have a lovely colour ready for the external colour).

Those with keen eyes will notice cab sides and something missing. The steps! (Read on...)
The cab sides have only been glued where they join the front of the cab. I am hoping I can install the little switches in the cab with the sides on... They are only tiny pinheads. The floor of the sides has not been glued because I want accurate aligning of the back of the cab for when I'm ready to glue this part on.
After all the work, I've removed the steps as they did not align with the cab doors. I will beef them up from behind and refit them when I'm ready. I have thought of a good way to do this.
[BUILDING HINT]
When I removed one of the cab steps I cuts little bit far into the footplate. Now I could have got the Das modelling clay out and fill with that, but I've used another method instead. I applied superglue and sprinkled on resin dust by filing a scrap resin offcut and allowing the dust to settle on the wet superglue. The superglue then very quickly dries, and is then easily filed to shape. I thought it is well worth mentioning this method of filling in small gaps for those who build resin kits or scratchbuild using resin.]
Attachments
IMG_20180508_094545.jpg
IMG_20180508_094638.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have to add some pics of the waggons I'm building for the competition into this thread to show how easy it is to build waggons from using products available elsewhere for those who are on tight budgets.
From a toy farmyard range of products I bought a packet of six "Boxes". I then disassembled unwanted parts but kept the removed parts. I then cut the bodies of the boxes in half, ands using most of the removed parts to rebuild the cut off bits to form new waggon bodies from them. (See photos which will explain more).
So all these waggons (When I finish them) have come from £4.99's worth of farmyard boxes. (I write this in May 2018 just in case prices alter).
Attachments
IMG_20180501_172705_558.JPG
IMG_20180501_201101.jpg
IMG_20180511_130500.jpg
IMG_20180511_120308.jpg
IMG_20180512_183524_975.JPG
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Working on the internal instruments. The pins will be cut when the glue dries to represent switches. Getting there slowly!
Attachments
IMG_20180514_124728.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Controls in place. Switches trimmed. Controls painted. Floor painted.
Attachments
IMG_20180514_145910.jpg
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Love the wagons, and what a bargain price, your shunters coming on to :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Thanks Manna. I have more details on the competition thread. I'm testing paint now on one of the waggons. Black. The only problem is that the paint looked a bit too new even though it was fresh paint, so I gave it the distressed look. You know when you've painted something and accidently picked it up before the paint dries? Well, this is the technique I used here.
Attachments
IMG_20180514_162051.jpg