Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi Chops. Lovely to hear from you. I was thinking of writing if I didn't hear from you. Flashbang has had to make a new site and he is still working on it. This is also a really good one with really friendly people in it.
My models. The gauge and scale needs explaining. They are the narrow gauge of 0 scale which run on 00 gauge track width. (7mm scale narrow gauge).. In USA you have 0n30. The British version is 0-16.5 and the European equivalent is 0e.
My models are either scratchbuilt or kitbuilt using convenient 00 gauge items as donor vehicles. My kits come mostly from Smallbrook Studio (Listed as 0e on their site) which are made from resin which I a very easy material to work with, or Peco where I've made a pair of plastic coach kits. I've not yet tried Slimrails kits but plan to try a few in the future.
The layout is an inch or two under 7ft long when set up with the two boards and is 2ft wide. It is a convenient size as it is designed that it can fit in the boot of my car. My car has plenty of room if I'd made the layout boards larger, but I wanted a size which would fit other cars if needed to.

While Peco do make specific 7mm narrow gauge track, it is not cheap and as i have lots of 00 gauge track to use I decided to use it to make my own. I take Peco 00 gauge code 100 track and slowly start to change the sleepers. The sleepers are home made and cut from printed circuit board (PCB) and soldered to the rails making sure I cut through the copper surface somewhere in between the rails so I won't get a dead short. Two points which are going to be behind the scenes are Peco set track which have been rebuilt with PCB sleepers. The first I did was in quite a state having lost its plastic sleepers, so it was pleasing to reserect it. The other points and crossing are scratchbuilt which, once I'd developed a method seem to work OK. I've not yet wired up the layout but on testing it seems to be good. The positive thing about soldering rails onto PCB sleepers is that if things dont run right I can make adjustments to the rails until they do run right, though in a few places I've ended up with messy soldering due to this, not that my soldering is as neat as it should be. It works!
Most of my work is based with a tight budget in mind, hence why I've adopted my own design of coupling which means that I can make waggons where the main costs involved are the wheels. I've also made parts to help scratchbuilding out of resin which have been a success.

Photos show how the coupling works and the difference in size between a 00 gauge loco and the 7mm narrow gauge versions which share some of the same parts.
Attachments
IMG_20171019_142325.jpg
IMG_20171019_142351.jpg
IMG_20180629_134252.jpg
IMG_20180629_134539.jpg
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:57 pm

And here's some modelling inspiration where scenes like this were once also seen in the UK, especially in South Wales.

https://youtu.be/du-n0E3i648

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 pm

I just thought I would explore possibilities... Not to say that what I intend to do will or won't work. Just having fun! :D
Attachments
IMG_20181010_220040.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm thinking... I maybe able to make some wheels... If I can just get...... Umm. :lol: These little round discs I often find on the floor maybe just the thing... Need to solder them as pairs to get the right width.. Should have done that before drilling small holes down the middle. :? :mrgreen:

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 am

Making wheels out of coins? It could work I suppose haha. Would need one drilled for an axle anyway to be secured by the outer coin.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 am

I can't call these little discs by that name, though they do look remarkably similar. :)
Here's a soldered pair on a mandrill waiting to explore the possibilities.
Attachments
IMG_20181011_195058.jpg

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 am

Talk about 'Building a Model Railway', Mountain doesn't do things the easy way.

Great stuff. Carry on!

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 am

glencairn wrote:Talk about 'Building a Model Railway', Mountain doesn't do things the easy way.

Great stuff. Carry on!

Glencairn

Umm. Its not the easy way. You are right.
I've hit a snag. My little lathe is OK with softer metals. However, these little discs are no longer made from the soft material that they once were so my unimat 1 is a bit outclassed. I'm hoping to sell some more of my 00 gauge models and buy a stronger lathe that is still small but can cope better with tougher materials. There seems to be more steel in the little discs then I thought as I tried to use a file instead and that was struggling too.
I do have my eye on a lovely little lathe but for some reason every outlet that sells it (Each with their own brand but it has the same name) doesn't have it in stock and one of the main dealers has withdrawn it from their website. About a week ago another dealer had one and it was a nice colour as well. :lol: Umm.

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:56 am

At the end of the day, a small lathe for accurate metal work is not going to be cheap. But something like this (see link) is probably the type you may be looking for. :- https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-m ... the-101356

Small, model making lathes like the Unimat just don't have the ''grunt'' or precision for metal working.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 pm

I was looking at the C1 but there's none in stock.

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Just had a look at Amazon, looks like Axminster has this (Co series) in stock. You could give them call re the C1.?
Attachments
c1 lathe.png

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:42 pm

I was also looking at that one. :lol:
The only aspect which makes me prefer the C1 is the power feed.
Mind you, the C0 does give me the ability to turn wheels. Umm. And... I can afford the C0. :D

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:01 am

As my plan to make metal wheels has hit the buffers for now, as to be honest, its a choice between a lathe to turn metal or use it fore future transport needs. it doesn't mean that when my current stock of wheels dry up my projects end, as fortunately a kind gentleman has donated some plastic wheels for me to use. I still have a fair few metal wheels to use for now, but these plastic wheels are a blessing.
Now I am happy as the larger plastic wheels (12mm or above) can be used for internal framed waggons. Now how can I do this when most plastic wheels are one piece mouldings?
Well, I do have a nice Unimat 1 lathe system which works very well with plastic. I have a cunning plan which I've done before with resin... Day jar vous anyone? :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20171028_223216.jpg

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:15 am

Mountain wrote:I've been busy working on the layout. I've drilled many holes and filled them with special lightweight air so the layout is lighter in weight. I've shortened the supporting leg on the piggy back board. (Photos show how it was and how it is. The how it is has the shortened wing leg pieces which dont have touch the floor). I've also cut holes for dips/pond etc on the top surface of the main board. (I had already done the same to the other board before).
I'm also starting to make preparation work for the rails to cross over the baseboard join. This will remedy the issues caused after the boards and track have settled in over time and the warm weather etc.
So I now have a holy layout! :D

That track is awesome love it to bits well done, love the idea of holes to minimise the weight 8) 8)
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 am

Lee wrote:
Mountain wrote:I've been busy working on the layout. I've drilled many holes and filled them with special lightweight air so the layout is lighter in weight. I've shortened the supporting leg on the piggy back board. (Photos show how it was and how it is. The how it is has the shortened wing leg pieces which dont have touch the floor). I've also cut holes for dips/pond etc on the top surface of the main board. (I had already done the same to the other board before).
I'm also starting to make preparation work for the rails to cross over the baseboard join. This will remedy the issues caused after the boards and track have settled in over time and the warm weather etc.
So I now have a holy layout! :D

That track is awesome love it to bits well done, love the idea of holes to minimise the weight 8) 8)

Thanks Lee. It looks nice in its unpainted state. Probably why I've not yet got around to painting it or wiring it. Must do the little short bridge track sections in between the boards. Then I can concentrate on wiring it up etc. I tend to get sidetracked too easily with different ideas that I must try.. :mrgreen: Already have plans to make waggons with the plastic wheels I've been given. Umm. I need a plan of order or nothing will get finished. :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”