Mumbles Southern Garage Layout II

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Re: Southern Garage Layout II

Postby mumbles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 am

Bufferstop wrote:It does make some jobs a bit harder but having the track near to eye level definitely improves the view. I have a draughtsman's chair that puts me back to the same height as standing, but I usually end up standing often with a handheld controller in each hand.

Yes, saves ones back from crouching down to eye level.. We all do it!!! Once I get this set up for DCC I have plug in points for the controller at both ends... As seen when m.levin came down with his lovely sound locos. I think I've convinced my girlfriend that i can get a new laptop too for PC control 8) (it will have non train uses too :mrgreen: )

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 am

I made a video following a train from fiddle yard and back again to try to show an overview

Youtubey linky

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 pm

mumbles wrote:I made a video following a train from fiddle yard and back again to try to show an overview

Youtubey linky

Great vid Mumbles, i love how you done the inclines like that work really well 8) :wink:
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Lee wrote:
mumbles wrote:I made a video following a train from fiddle yard and back again to try to show an overview

Youtubey linky

Great vid Mumbles, i love how you done the inclines like that work really well 8) :wink:

Cheers Lee, the hidden bit is working better than the incline bit :lol: i expected some teething troubles to iron out though so all in my stride. It was why I made what i did with a 'can it be altered factor'. I think im going to move the fiddle yard a little further back and raise is by a few cms. Will make the inclines longer and more gradual with not much woodwork to do so.

I made another video, trying to show how a goods service runs up from folkestone towards sandling junction. As it does it passes the down passenger on its way to Folkestone, before it then returns with a parcel/passenger service... All was going really well...

Clicky Clicky
Last edited by mumbles on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:10 pm

mumbles wrote:
Lee wrote:

Youtubey linky

Cheers Lee, the hidden bit is working better than the incline bit :lol: i expected some teething troubles to iron out though so all in my stride. It was why I made what i did with a 'can it be altered factor'. I think im going to move the fiddle yard a little further back and raise is by a few cms. Will make the inclines longer and more gradual with not much woodwork to do so.

I made another video, trying to show how a goods service runs up from folkestone towards sandling junction. As it does it passes the down passenger on its way to Folkestone, before it then returns with a parcel/passenger service... All was going really well...

Clicky Clicky

Edited because i got the order of trains wrong!

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 pm

mumbles wrote:Edited because i got the order of trains wrong!

You just cannot get the staff these days :lol:

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 pm

That organic rerailing tool looks a bit out of scale. :shock: :lol:
I wonder if those coaches are too light? I usually add some lead flashing to rolling stock to give them a bit of weight.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 am

The hand of god moment as made my day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nice video as usual 8)
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:39 am

End2end wrote:That organic rerailing tool looks a bit out of scale. :shock: :lol:
I wonder if those coaches are too light? I usually add some lead flashing to rolling stock to give them a bit of weight.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

I think the coaches are fine, it was the points and excess speed!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:14 pm

I've been making some permanent supports for the inclines. I had some bolts not being used so made them adjustable for setting the final gradient more accurately. I'm in the process of going round the whole layout fixing in the supports and have also moved the fiddle yard further back to help add a little length to the gradients and to make the tracks to it in a better location in reference to those above.

PSX_20171127_175746.jpg

Fiddle yard further back towards the rear

PSX_20171127_181209.jpg

Lower access line moved back, same for the other end

PSX_20171127_181134.jpg

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:13 pm

I like your adjustable gradient idea.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm

m.levin wrote:I like your adjustable gradient idea.

cheers. It will certainly help getting it all the same gradient

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:55 pm

Heres a nice little tip I only just learnt which you might find useful? Masking tape along the cut line when using a jigsaw stops the splintering you get with ply 8)

PSX_20171130_125230.jpg

PSX_20171130_125218.jpg

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Well I'll carry on talking to myself :lol:

I've got the new track beds for the inclines cut and in place and I'm gradually making all the adjustable supports. For now I've kept the fiddle yard at the same height as before and can raise it if required. I'm hoping the longer gradients are enough to get them working better. At the 1:50 gradient I've been working at, it should be able to drop at least 16cm on each length of incline.

This is the workbench end, you can just see the coach on the now much further back entrance to the fiddle yard. I've also been adding bracing to the top level to make sure it stays flat and true. Plenty more of that to do but obviously has to avoid any points, so I've marked out where they will all be

PSX_20171130_180442.jpg

At the other end the entrance to the fiddle yard is also further back adding length to the gradients. Im not far away from getting the rest of the track laid so i can see if the alterations have been successful

PSX_20171130_180457.jpg

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:42 pm

mumbles wrote:Well I'll carry on talking to myself :lol:

Speak up, I have my earplugs in :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”