Mumbles Southern Garage Layout II

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Re: Southern Garage Layout II

Postby mumbles » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Dave wrote:I notice that you have a heater in the corner, I also know that Kent is not far off the Mediterranean :wink: but how is the garage during this cold snap :?:

:lol: ruddy cold!!! 5 mins of the heater takes the edge off to work, 10 mins if you want to sit. I need to get something a bit more efficient and effective really, not sure what though!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:20 pm

A little video of running round the new inclines, still a bit of adjustment to make but getting there. Don't think it helps its so cold out there as even on the flat the locos seem a bit slower than a couple of weeks ago!! I think I'll invest in an oil filled rad!!

https://youtu.be/buejxPXKXms

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Dave wrote:Very nice Michael. Quite a few years ago i fancied a big multi level layout but there was never enough room in the loft. I have a nice big garage now, the trouble is it is full of a lifetimes collectings. Maybe one day.

Tell me about it, after I mothballed it when my stock got stolen i accumulated so much junk at one point I couldn't even get in there!

mumbles

Re: Mumbles Southern Garage Layout II

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 am

Really should get out to the garage and do some work out there!! Oh well, not like I've been twiddling my thumbs!!

Just an update to change the thread title to match my others really :mrgreen:

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 pm

I have been a very naughty boy and ordered myself 2 SR birdcage coaches for Xmas and have the Wainwright H class in SR livery on preorder 8)

Happy days!!! :mrgreen:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Make sure you have enough birdseed... :lol:

Nice coaches though.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:09 pm

That's probably about right Dave, certainly has 2x8' lengths of ply and I think when i measured the ceiling it was a little over 8'.

I've got (somewhere) 2 spare large metal bolts that martin made me that are drilled through the corner of the garage door on the inside into the concrete floor to stop someone being able to lever up the corners (a common entry point for crime) happy to dig them out and send you if you want, if you have an up and over? As you know, security is one issue I found to my cost despite making mine as secure as possible

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:18 am

Dave wrote:
mumbles wrote: if you have an up and over? As you know, security is one issue I found to my cost despite making mine as secure as possible

Thanks for the offer mate, but we have double wooden doors. My plan if I go ahead is to build a stud wall a couple of feet behind it so I still have a small area for the lawn mower and garden tools.

What do you mean if!!!??? :mrgreen:

No worries, nice to hear you want to go large again. Not that small isn't great, I am a big fan as you know but there is something about a large layout and the longer time it takes I find a real challenge and pleasure. I find I like to have multiple areas of projects, such as wagon kits, to keep me moving forward in times like now when I haven't been out there for a few weeks!

And if anything I've ever done has even inspired one person to do something that's awesome too, I share stuff from a 'look what I've made!' sense of pride but also a 'look what you can do too!'

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:20 am

:scrolls forum looking for Dave's Northern Garage Layout: :wink: :lol:

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:52 am

mumbles wrote:
Dave wrote:I notice that you have a heater in the corner, I also know that Kent is not far off the Mediterranean :wink: but how is the garage during this cold snap :?:

:lol: ruddy cold!!! 5 mins of the heater takes the edge off to work, 10 mins if you want to sit. I need to get something a bit more efficient and effective really, not sure what though!

For my railway room in the cellar, where there are issues with damp as well as cold, I got a convector heater, this one to be precise
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O1UR8CI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I keep it on all the time on a low trickle to combat the damp, and it does the job pretty well. It has a fan heater built in (what they call a "turbo boost") if you need a quick warm-up.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Dave wrote:
mumbles wrote::scrolls forum looking for Dave's Northern Garage Layout: :wink: :lol:

As I said:

Dave wrote:It would seem that I am where you were ten years ago:

That means all the junk to sort, and the habitation improving. Family arriving in the next couple of days, so wont be able to get near it for another week, but I think that it is the way to go.

You know it makes sense!! All that lovely space to make look grim and gritty :D

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Dave wrote:
mumbles wrote:You know it makes sense!!

Been in there to get the folding garden chairs out ready for the festive fun... Says to the wife, "If I ..." She didn't say no :lol:

Some things cross the great north south divide.. Men starting conversations with "if I..."!!! :lol:

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:18 am

A Christmas tour of the layout with my ugly mug it, no swearing so the only thing you can complain about is my face!! :roll:

Welcome to Hythe and Sandgate

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:55 am

It looks good. Just make sure you can reach some of the hidden lines for track cleaning.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Mountain wrote:It looks good. Just make sure you can reach some of the hidden lines for track cleaning.

As you can see in the vid, all the hidden lines are raised above the level of the base units with the scenic track 30+cm raised. The fiddle yard being about 13cm up. As all the scenery will then be built raised to a slightly little higher than that, there will be front access to them or at least from below the layout. The straight inclines will be hidden behind lowish backscenes to reach over or from the open door or from underneath. As I've been building it has been one of the main factors to check at each stage. Good idea for a video though... to explain :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”