Machynlleth - 00 gauge cambrian layout Update January 31st

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:59 pm

I concur with t'other :wink:

That sounds just right Tom re the yard. You kind of confirmed what I'd figured so it sounds excellent. And those undulating fields filled with its fleeced flocks :)

Strange, but I am always disappointed by landscapes that lack livestock, as you see sheep and cows everywhere. It's what makes us British :lol:

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:45 pm

Lovely photo's Tom,

Thanks for sharing and I have to say that you have done some of the best ballasting I ever saw! Must have taken you hours as it looks so precise.....brilliant work.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

peak

Postby peak » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Very nice layout.
I like the inverted figure of 8 track plan as this this gives your trains twice the run. I have a similar figure of 8 on my layout but no station.
As your layout is in a shed like mine, do you intend to have a back scene around the outside. I was determined not to have a back scene however the pics of my layout are full of a tan coloured background which does not look nice. Although when I'm in the shed I don't notice it?
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:47 am

peak wrote:Very nice layout.
I like the inverted figure of 8 track plan as this this gives your trains twice the run. I have a similar figure of 8 on my layout but no station.

It's funny though Andy. When I did my double loop in my mums loft, there seemed to be very few of them about. It's such an excellent way of effectively doubling your main line, I was surprised more people didn't do it. Nowadays though, it seems to have caught on more. I think it's the fact you can run full length trains without creating a tailchaser that appeals the most. Michael (Mumbles) layout is another excellent example of this.

I think that's why I had to do the garden in the end, 'cos I miss my old loft layout so much!

Cheers guys

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:27 am

hi
john geeeeee's layout is another fine example. i think i reverted to figure 8 after several years building scalextric layouts! that and the article in railway modeller about the pecorama layout that was built [recently?]. it showed for me how you can have those things like bridges, tunnels etc without looking forced into a space
great pics btw, coming along very nicely
michael

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:16 pm

Thanks for sharing and I have to say that you have done some of the best ballasting I ever saw! Must have taken you hours as it looks so precise.....brilliant work.

Wow, what a compliment! My ballasting was a bit of a bodge to be honest, as I went down to the river and took some of the very fine silt on the bank and dried it out. However I think it looks good as the granuales are all different - some of the stuff you buy looks a little too fabricated.

As your layout is in a shed like mine, do you intend to have a back scene around the outside. I was determined not to have a back scene however the pics of my layout are full of a tan coloured background which does not look nice. Although when I'm in the shed I don't notice it?

Yes, will eventually paint a backscene - hills and mountains etc.. probably.
The screen that hides the storage loop will definatly need to be done - at the moment it looks like theres a huge lump of wood next to the line :lol:

I agree with you all that the inverted figure 8 layout is great. It allows me to run trains on a fairly long run in a smaller space. Only problem was getting the gradients right - had a problem at the top of the slopes as locos kept derailing. The answer was to use a some foam underlay - which was a huge compromise as I hate the stuff! :)

Will post some more pics soon - haven't done much at the moment as I'm playing with a new airbrush and respraying some of my coaching stock.

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Hi, haven't updated in a while - been fairly busy with layout.....

Cut the tracks for the lift - out section at the door, just needs wiring up. No more sore backs! :D

Started experimenting with fencing. I found the best result was using the ends of incense sticks (my sister uses them - normally to disguise dog odours! :o ) as these are roughly the correct diameter. Also painted the backscene light blue (its always like this in Wales.....) - will paint hills, sheep etc... soon)

Managed to find a home for the scalescenes goods hut that came with the new Hornby magazine.

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:52 pm

TomWebber wrote:Hi, haven't updated in a while - been fairly busy with layout.....
Sounds like a good excuse to me :)

Also looks like time well spent. I love the shot with the fence posts. What a difference having the painted sky makes as well. Looking forward to seeing similar pics with some steam charging through.

John
There is no room inside a box.

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 pm

FishBowlMan wrote:
TomWebber wrote:Hi, haven't updated in a while - been fairly busy with layout.....
Sounds like a good excuse to me :)

Also looks like time well spent. I love the shot with the fence posts. What a difference having the painted sky makes as well. Looking forward to seeing similar pics with some steam charging through.

John

Haha, excuse, Pah! :)
Cheers - will do a pic of Cambrian Coast Express on the shot with fence posts!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Super pics there, really enjoyed seeing the progress made...

Well done,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Good stuff Tom. Whatever you name the layout, it looks terrific mate!

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

peak

Postby peak » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:42 pm

Looking good.
I like the blue back ground which is better than the colour of a shed!
What paint and colour is?
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.

Regards

Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 pm

TomWebber wrote:Image

Managed to find a home for the scalescenes goods hut that came with the new Hornby magazine.

:shock: So thats what it should've looked like :oops: :roll: ........ :wink:
I like the fencing.
Nice pics Tom,keep em coming matey.
Kind Regards
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:38 pm

peak wrote:Looking good.
I like the blue back ground which is better than the colour of a shed!
What paint and colour is?

Thanks! :D I just used some dark blue + white wall paint we had lying around and mixed it to the right shade - trouble is I mixed way to much so now have a whole jam jar full of skyblue paint.

Terry, I wouldn't say my shed is the way it was meant to look, bodged it up a bit - the doors on the inside when it should be on the outside! :) :oops:

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Tom, nice progress you've made, like the little shed you got for free.

Neil

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”