NRM 2017 00 'Tour' STARTED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickbrad

Re: NRM 2017 00 'Tour' STARTED

Postby nickbrad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:51 pm

My only concern with a full size coach is that postage bumps up once you get above 30cm in length I think, otherwise, a new Norma would be welcome.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Standard 2nd class post for a full length coach should be no more than £2.90 at current postage rates. Same as what I paid for Guy to be shipped onwards.

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:21 pm

I reckon you could squeeze 30 figures in that 4 wheeler, especially if they were HO figures, that ought to be enough for a tour.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 pm

It would need a 'Fancy' paint scheme ........

I must say I'm impressed with participants layouts, imagination and
involvement. A sign we have great members dallying on NRM.

Although we have to finish 2017 Tour first .......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Well, after a long trip and visiting a couple of yards along the way, Guy found himself arriving at Gantsville, hauled by 60008 and a couple of barrier wagons.

After detaching from the rear vans, Guy was pulled forwards to release a Class 20 waiting on the rear siding, to shunt him clear for the night.

Waking up the next morning though, Guy found himself in the company of 2 very strange looking vehicles, nothing like his stablemates from the day before.

Luckily a bright young engine by the name of Charlie came to rescue Guy and take back towards the mainline, ready for new adventures.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Nice picks nickbrad
Another (thankfully) uneventful visit under his belt :D and some strange stable mates to add to his memoirs!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Nice set of photographs, nickbrad.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 am

A wonderfully diverse collection of locos there Nickbrad, and some effective simple scenery. Great stuff.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks guys, my W&U based layout is in no fit state for a photo shoot, (not to mention no fit place for a Class 60, even a 20 would be pushing it,) so Guy had to visit Gantsville, but I had to draft in some familiar stock so he wouldn't get too scared and blow his top :)

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 am

Great pictures there Nickbrad and it just shows that Guy is perfectly suited hooked on to modern stock as well as some Johnny Foreigner stuff! :lol:

Paul

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 am

Nice photos nickbrad. I love the scenery and trees at the rear edge of your layout! :D
Carpe Diem!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 am

My Buffer repair seems to be standing up to the stresses of Guys travels - you can spot the repair in the last photo - it's the buffer with the silver shank!

Nice to see some modern locomotives on the train.

Found this little excerpt from the 1950 BR Rule Book; Rule 240 (10)

Not more than five vehicles containing explosives must be conveyed by any one train at any one time. Vehicles containing explosives or highly inflammable liquids or liquefied gases must be marshalled as near the middle of the train as possible and in any case there must be two vehicles empty or containing non-explosive traffic marshalled between the engine and first vehicle containing explosives or highly inflammable liquids or liquefied gases, except that for short distances between depots or private sidings and marshalling yards these two vehicles need not be provided.

Notes to Rule 240 states: Loose shunting of vehicles containing explosives is strictly prohibited.

Think we have all broken st least one of these rules :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:39 pm

When I was working in South Africa the company had it's own small foundry on site, there being no small jobbing ones within 1000 miles. It ran on LPG which was delivered every couple of weeks by rail right up to the side of the foundry, the empty tanker going back at the same time. The loco would carefully propel the full tanker into position, but needed the "empty" to be the other end of the loco for the return trip. So the crew would hook up the empty to the full one pull both back, push the empty so far up the spur to goods out, retreat and push the full tanker back into place, then with a steel rope between the loco and the empty and passing around a bollard i the V of the two sidings would reverse sharply and stop, the guy standing on the drawbox of the empty tanker, would slip the cable as soon as it went slack then ride on the back of the tanker running blind across road crossings and junctions with other spurs, the loco giving chase until it came to a stop.
Now I keep referring to this empty tanker, it was never allowed to get empty as the furnace would have to shut down, so there was always some LPG left in the tank, I made a point of going into Port Elizabeth to the computer centre on the days they did this, as a not quite empty tank of LPG is more likely to explode than a full one.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm guilty of a few of those rules then Jim, although I'd probably break international rules, had I been able to connect the Alco S3 up as well :)

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Great pics Nick, love the variety. Glad Guy arrived in one piece.
Until you get involved in something like this you don't realise how responsible you can feel.

Mac

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”