Loch Terry - OO layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
barney121e

Loch Terry - OO layout

Postby barney121e » Thu May 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Thought i would start a topic for my first OO layout called Loch Terry. I have done a couple of n gauge layouts but never dabbled in OO. The layout plan is as follows:-

ardfeldyfinal.png
ardfeldyfinal.png (87.18 KiB) Viewed 512 times

The layout is based in north Scotland, the passing station will be based on Ardlui whilst the terminus is based on a layout from the 1990's called Loch Feldy. The thinking is both stations are on opposite sides of the loch. I still have a few things to sort out, ballast colour I am not too sure of, so any suggestions would be welcome. The terminus has a goods and engine shed and currently a coal staithe, although I might change it to a small depot. Ardlui is just a passing station with the sidings used occasionally. The fiddle yard is in the middle of the board (the yellow highlighted area) although I have note completely drawn them in.

Boards are all made and connected, need to decide how best to do upper terminus, I wonder if thick polystyrene would be strong enough to work? Will post pictures as I progress.

Bufferstop

Re: Loch Terry - OO layout

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Barney do you have access around the outside of these boards. Reaching across more than south two foot six inches starts to be a problem. It looks possible to move the fiddle yard at least a foot closer to the higher level station. I would suggest taking they approach line to the fiddle yard across to the right, around another right hand curve and putting the siingsnon the right hand side of an enlarged operating space. You could certainly use blocks of polystyrene to support the raised tracks, by I would put a top surface of thin ply, or even balsa wood need the tracks
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Thu May 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Barney do you have access around the outside of these boards. Reaching across more than south two foot six inches starts to be a problem. It looks possible to move the fiddle yard at least a foot closer to the higher level station. I would suggest taking they approach line to the fiddle yard across to the right, around another right hand curve and putting the siingsnon the right hand side of an enlarged operating space. You could certainly use blocks of polystyrene to support the raised tracks, by I would put a top surface of thin ply, or even balsa wood need the tracks

Yes, I have access around the boards especially the 4ft side. The reason I haven't moved the fiddle yard closer to the higher station is I want as much scenery as possible, hoping with a bit of creative scenery I can achieve that. Thanks for the polystyrene info, can get 3mm ply quite easily.

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm

So here is a pic of the baseboards with some track loosely put down to start getting a view of layout.

lfpicrm1.jpg
lfpicrm1.jpg (1023.53 KiB) Viewed 456 times

barney121e

Postby barney121e » Sat May 20, 2017 3:14 pm

So loosely laid track and all looks good. The only thing I want to decide on is point control, as some points will be 100mm over board. I know normal point motors will work, but wondering about wire in tube. Could I use wire in tube method, and if so can anyone recommend one? Also need to think about uncoupling too, any suggestions?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”