Otterston - 'L' Shape OO Layout (Construction)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
pete12345

Re: Otterston - 'L' Shape OO Layout (Construction)

Postby pete12345 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Nice neat wiring there on the layout- better than some spaghetti nests you see! It helps for eventual fault-finding and you're less likely to hit the wiring when you drill some hole from above. The Bachmann controller is OK as a beginner's controller, but you will probably find you want something better before long. DCC is ideal for this sort of layout too as the wiring is much simpler and you have more flexibility.

With live-frog points, it's recommended to modify the wiring so you're no longer relying on blade contact and remove the risk of short circuits. If the track's not yet permanently laid this is much easier to do from the underside of the points. You're using polarity switches anyway so the additional wiring/alteration is minimal.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for the comment, much appreciated. I work in the construction industry where I like to keep my designs and construction methods as simple as possible, it seems that principle has made its way into my layout wiring too. Its been many years since I've picked up a soldering iron (GCSE Electronics) and never done any kind of wiring though found this kind of relaxing.

pete12345 wrote: With live-frog points, it's recommended to modify the wiring so you're no longer relying on blade contact and remove the risk of short circuits. If the track's not yet permanently laid this is much easier to do from the underside of the points. You're using polarity switches anyway so the additional wiring/alteration is minimal.

Is this the modification with the 2 pre-installed fine wires cut then 2 additional wires attached for better power? If so, then I've already done this modification and noticed a difference already :D

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Zeffico wrote:Is this the modification with the 2 pre-installed fine wires cut then 2 additional wires attached for better power? If so, then I've already done this modification and noticed a difference already :D

That's the one. Last time I did it, it was with older code 100 points which weren't pre-wired like this. I cut through the two closure rails and fixed a piece of plasticard in the gap, then soldered the extra wires to the underside. It's just better and more reliable than standard, whether you use DC or DCC.

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 pm

pete12345 wrote: That's the one. Last time I did it, it was with older code 100 points which weren't pre-wired like this. I cut through the two closure rails and fixed a piece of plasticard in the gap, then soldered the extra wires to the underside. It's just better and more reliable than standard, whether you use DC or DCC.

Phew, as I don't recall seeing any other modifications out there especially now the track is pretty much fixed down. Also correct me if I'm wrong but they also recommend this mod for shunting layouts or engines travelling at slow speed?

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Live frog points in general are preferred for the above cases in particular, since there is no dead spot where a slow-moving loco can stall. The modifications are simply to improve reliability (no reliance on blade contact) and to prevent the potential for short circuits. With blade contact switching, the open blade is live and at opposite polarity to the adjacent rail, and a wheel can occasionally bridge the gap. With the modified wiring the open blade is always at the same polarity as the adjacent rail.

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Wed May 17, 2017 11:33 am

Update - 8

Another little update today. I've now finished the wiring for the DCC aspect of my layout and tested with now problems with my engines except for occasional stuttering over the dead spots found on the points with my Class 08 & Class 4F at low speed.

Next I'll be looking at getting the points wired up for the polarity switch and motors across the layout.

Zeffico.

shunter68

Postby shunter68 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Zeffico your layout is coming along nicely and I bet you are pleased your wiring is just about finished. :D

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks shunter68, slowly getting there though very pleased with what I've done so far especially as it works! :D Now to get my head around how to wire up the 16 points, hooray!!

Though progress may slow down a little as the weather is slowly improving so need to start work on the garden decking to keep the misses happy.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”