Midhurst (00)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: Midhurst (00)

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:28 am

FairwayJunction wrote:Thanks, this is very helpful. I might go along to some of these shows however they are branded "toy shows"

AH! well spotted!. Funny enough I have just gone to get thier timetable flyer off the fridge ( I usually pick one up at most shows) and the title has indeed changed from Toy/Train to just Toy Shows. It may be because they felt too restricted with the stated "TRAIN" on the flyer whereas with "toy" it covers more?
Or perhaps the evening fairs are more toys than railways. I honestly don't know as I don't go to the evening fairs only the Saturday / Sunday daytime ones.
I don't know the reason for the change of name and although there are other stalls selling toys (some vintage collectable stuff too) a good majority of the stalls are railway modelling paraphenalia. I've bought stuff from rolling stock to buildings there AND YOU CAN HAGGLE!. :mrgreen:
No haggling in Gaugemaster!! :lol:
I've also seen a couple of "O" gauge layouts running at some of the shows.
Funny enough they hold one of thier fairs in Midhurst which I visited on the 8th of January. :)
The Grange, Midhurst, West Susseex, GU29 9HG and the 2017 dates for those fairs are...
16th April
9th July
17th September
26th November
Hope it helps.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

FairwayJunction

Postby FairwayJunction » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:58 pm

End2end wrote:
FairwayJunction wrote:Thanks, this is very helpful. I might go along to some of these shows however they are branded "toy shows"

AH! well spotted!. Funny enough I have just gone to get thier timetable flyer off the fridge ( I usually pick one up at most shows) and the title has indeed changed from Toy/Train to just Toy Shows. It may be because they felt too restricted with the stated "TRAIN" on the flyer whereas with "toy" it covers more?
Or perhaps the evening fairs are more toys than railways. I honestly don't know as I don't go to the evening fairs only the Saturday / Sunday daytime ones.
I don't know the reason for the change of name and although there are other stalls selling toys (some vintage collectable stuff too) a good majority of the stalls are railway modelling paraphenalia. I've bought stuff from rolling stock to buildings there AND YOU CAN HAGGLE!. :mrgreen:
No haggling in Gaugemaster!! :lol:
I've also seen a couple of "O" gauge layouts running at some of the shows.
Funny enough they hold one of thier fairs in Midhurst which I visited on the 8th of January. :)
The Grange, Midhurst, West Susseex, GU29 9HG and the 2017 dates for those fairs are...
16th April
9th July
17th September
26th November
Hope it helps.
End2end

Indeed no haggling at Gaugemaster however when I buy the class E4 from then next month, perhaps I might ask if they will price match Hattons! Worth a try and i have been going there for about 8 years so they might say yes. That's good that the Gramge are hosting shows throughout the year, I will definitely have to go to at least one of them. Thanks

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 pm

I regularly go to the Chester "Toy & Train" fair, (its moved venue recently), it's on every 2 months. They come in lots of guises:- Train and Toy, Collectors Fair, Toy and Model, Diecast Toy & Model, etc, etc.
I think probably all fairs and exhibitions are advertised here, http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/local, put in your postcode and distance your willing to travel and it lists both.
A lot of smaller shops do these events as its better turn over than opening the shop on Saturday!
Plus masses of second hand stuff, cheap!
Plus venders who do internet only sales, but turn up at these for some hands on!
Yes there are Airfix, Meccano, dolls, military miniatures etc, but mostly trains.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

FairwayJunction

Postby FairwayJunction » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm

TimberSurf wrote:I regularly go to the Chester "Toy & Train" fair, (its moved venue recently), it's on every 2 months. They come in lots of guises:- Train and Toy, Collectors Fair, Toy and Model, Diecast Toy & Model, etc, etc.
I think probably all fairs and exhibitions are advertised here, http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/local, put in your postcode and distance your willing to travel and it lists both.
A lot of smaller shops do these events as its better turn over than opening the shop on Saturday!
Plus masses of second hand stuff, cheap!
Plus venders who do internet only sales, but turn up at these for some hands on!
Yes there are Airfix, Meccano, dolls, military miniatures etc, but mostly trains.

Thnaks, this sounds great and will check it out.

FairwayJunction

Postby FairwayJunction » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Here is the February update for my layout, many changes have occurred, thanks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lmIe01Hd1c&feature=youtu.be

Separate photos will be published here as well.

FairwayJunction

Postby FairwayJunction » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:36 pm

March 2017 update:

Just a quick update showing some brief pictures of what I have done over the past few weeks, more work will be show in the youtube video.

Image[/url]

In the picture is a Heljan class 33 I recently bought off ebay which has been professionally weathered and detailed. Some of you may point out that these locomotive only ran on the line in the last two years or last year but there are images supporting that the locomotive travelled to Midhurst. It's a very nice addition to the layout and the model having light makes it more interesting.

Image[/url]

Another locomotive which I bought off ebay, this time a Bachmann class 08 is plain black livery with the BR early crest logo. I think this model may be rare as there aren't many out there, the one I bought was brand new, a good deal for £55 considering it's age however the lack off a DCC socket is troublesome as I'm not confident enough to wire my own chip in however there are people out there who can help so all is well.

Image[/url]

This is the final track plan for the main station area for the layout and the track has been pinned down. I think I have done quite well considering the space I have had to deal with but small compromises have been made such as reducing the space on the Peterfield line in the far distance of the photo so only 2 carriges can be parked up and cannot disappear.

Image[/url]

Another view of the station giving a better idea of the run-around loop and the bay platform in the background with the mainline or main station in the foreground.

Image[/url]

Here is an extension I have added onto the Chichester line which curves of left from the station and I have added it to allow me to run longer trains but also give the impression that the trains disappear through the trees which will be put in front of the track. The extension covers a cupboard door but can easily be removed but undoing the nut on the bolt and put the section away.

Image[/url]

Here is a picture of the yard which I explained in my youtube video. It's situated on the south side of the layout through the tunnel to Puborough and serves as a terminus for passengers and for storage or locomotives and trucks that carry freight through Midhurst station. In the background of the picture is the small terminus station which can hold two carriages and a small tank engine or in my case a class M7 locomotive/E4 and in the foreground is some siding to hold wagons or coaches. This area is also useful when running longer train from the Chichester line as there is somewhere else to stop and the yard allows for more operational interest.

Just a small update but I will be releasing a video shortly explaining it all, thanks.

FairwayJunction

Postby FairwayJunction » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:33 pm

New youtube layout update here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGeZD8F1jBw

mikeandnel

Postby mikeandnel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Hello Rory
Interested in your layout of Midhurst. I actually live on The Fairway and am building Midhurst LBSCR 1866 which was the original station situated where Oakwood Close is now. Where are you located.? Might be interesting to meet up and compare notes.
I have done a lot of research at the NRM and have all the track plans from the earliest
Michael

FairwayJunction

Postby FairwayJunction » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

It has been so long since I have given you guys an update. The layout been updated with wiring, fascia board and finally some scenery. A new locomotive has also been purchased, this being Hornby's class M7 tank locomotive which runs great. A youtube update will come soon.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”