The Herefordshire and Worcestershire Railway, after some advice page 2

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ErlestokeManor7812

The Herefordshire and Worcestershire Railway, after some advice page 2

Postby ErlestokeManor7812 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Good Evening all,

A year after moving to Kidderminster, it seems I have been given the go ahead for a new layout to satisfy my craving for railway modelling! So, without further ado....I give you Whatley, a fictitious station on the fictitious Kidderminster to Bromyard Railway.....

So to explain the plan, the bottom half of the layout shows the station with level crossing, goods yard (right hand side) the bay platform and the steam depot (left handside), at the top of the layout is the fiddle yard, is planned to have the fiddle yard closest to the window sill so i can store stuff on there too! Anyways it is based on a preserved railway set in the 21st Century, I have even written a history for this make believe railway!

Whatley Station is located on the fictitious Herefordshire and Worcestershire Railway between Kidderminster and Bromyard.
The original line was built in 1880 by the Bromyard and Stourbridge Railway connecting the small Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway at Kidderminster with the Worcester, Bromyard and Leominster Railway at Bromyard, the company had running rights over the OWW between Kidderminster and Stourbridge Junction. Traffic on the line was mainly local produce to Stourport on Severn, crossing the Severn Valley Railway just south of the station. The route ran from Kidderminster, across Hoo Brook Viaduct and diverged to the right over to Stourport. From here the line continued to Bromyard with stations at Dunley, Abberley, Whatley, Martley, Whitbourne and finally Brockhampton before joining the WBLR, sharing Bromyard Station with the other company.
The railway was taken over by the GWR in 1923, the old locomotives from the line being scrapped soon after grouping, being replaced by stronger locomotives to handle the heavier trains over the steeply graded line. Regular motive power during the GWR days were 57xx Pannier Tanks, 14xx Auto Tanks, 4575 Small Prairies, 2251 Collett Goods and 43xx Moguls. After Nationalisation, BR soon had the railway infrastructure strengthened so the slightly larger Manors and Large Prairies could handle the heavier traffic. Midland Region Ivatt 2 Tanks started making appearances and, when introduced by BR, Standard 3 and 4 Tanks would be seen on the passenger services.
As traffic began to decrease, the line began to fall into disrepair. The line between Leominster and Bromyard closed, leaving residents only the route to Kidderminster and Worcester. Diesel Multiple Units began to take over the passenger services while the Standard 3’s and 4’s were put on the goods services, replacing the ageing ex pre nationalisation motive power. When the line between Worcester and Bomyard closed, the passenger service continued to serve as a life line for the residents of Bromyard. Sadly this wasn’t enough to convince Dr Beeching from axing the line and in 1966, passenger services ceased. Goods traffic lingered until 1971, being looked after by the new Class 14 diesels.
Once the line had closed, a group of volunteers stepped in and bought the 20 miles of track from Bromyard to just outside Kidderminster, sadly they couldn’t have the last mile as this is still operated by Network Rail! After setting up base at the middle station of Whatley, the Herefordshire and Worcestershire Heritage Railway was born. From 1975 the line was rebuilt, a new station was built at Kidderminster with a bus connection to the town, Network Rail station and the neighbouring Severn Valley Railway. The line operates a regular steam and diesel timetable along with galas and family events.

I do have the boards for the layout and the legs, I just need to start clearing the area it will be built in and get started in the very near future....!

That's all for now folks....

Kenny
Last edited by ErlestokeManor7812 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

End2end

Re: New Layout, The Herefordshire and Worcestershire Railway

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Sounds like a plan. :)
I'd be so tempted to complete that second oval though. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

ErlestokeManor7812

Postby ErlestokeManor7812 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 pm

I would however it takes away the Branchline byway style I want to portray! :)

thanks though!

Kenny

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Great bit of Imagineering there Kenny, looking forward to it turning into a real world model.

John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:27 am

Welcome aboard
Nice plan
Keep us posted with lots of piccies :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 am

So after saying I would post more on here I kind of lost track (if you will pardon the pun :lol: ) of time and life got in the way, however, an update will appear today all being Well! A lot has changed since the last plan was put up. More to follow....

Kenny

P.S realised my phone is logged into my old account not the one I originally posted this thread with :lol:
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

PLB

Postby PLB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:31 am

Nice plan.
End2end wrote:I'd be so tempted to complete that second oval though. :D Thanks End2end

I second that.
Regards,
Pierre

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:00 am

An interesting story for the layout, Kenny. Looking forward as to how it develops.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:06 pm

Be careful having your fiddle yard on the side closest to the window. You need to ensure that it's screened from sunlight. The ultraviolet in sunlight plays havoc with plastics.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ErlestokeManor7812

Postby ErlestokeManor7812 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Thankfully Bufferstop there is blinds in the living room which never open so it's all very protected! :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:12 pm

The main issue with making a second oval is that you lose siding space. However, it is nice to let a second train trundle along.

Either way enjoy and have fun.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A small hint for those who want to get the best scenic touch from an oval on a flat board is to drift the oval diagonally a little rather then running parallel to the edge. That way the eye avoids the straight look. Another way is to add a small curve here and there so the track doesn't follow the edge so much.

An illusion of space can be given by having the odd siding with its track coming to the edge of the board. Obviously one will want to avoid running trains too far along such a siding. Pile a sleeper or two on the line about six inches from the edge to make it look like the line used to go further if one wants to use it as a siding. Such a siding works really well for American modellers who will sometimes add such a line that bisects the main line with a 90 degree crossing.
These ideas may not be ideal for this trackplan but maybe useful to many.

ErlestokeManor7812

Postby ErlestokeManor7812 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Right guys and girls, time for the first proper update, now as a few people have been commenting about the plan and the addition of the extra loop, now I did in actual fact add the extra loop...then I ripped the whole layout up and started again, I wasnt feeling it so decided to have a change of direction, so, this is how things are progressing so far.....
The owners of the house I rent a room in wanted a roundy roundy layout, however I wanted a terminus, so I have my terminus and we have a single line going round to keep everyone happy! This is the main station and loco yard looking rather cluttered currently...
Next we have the station departure, with the diesel tmd siding to the right.
Out of the town and into the tunnel.
The little Village slowly coming together
Pub Time!
The recently bought Wickham on its new bit of track, just awaiting a little shed now...

The layout is still very much work in progress but its the most advanced I've ever made a layout! :lol:

Kenny

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Nice. The station looks interesting.

ErlestokeManor7812

Postby ErlestokeManor7812 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Evening All

A little more of an update from today
Day 47 and farmer Jones still hasn't noticed the local Safari Parks escapees....
Now that an extra layer of grass has been put on, the hedges have been added, sadly I think Javis dont know the difference between OO and N gauge so may have to double up on these.
Starting to fill in the gaps around the railway, the area where the signalbox and signals go has had its first layer of grass put down and the Pub car park has been resurfaced.
A little bit of playing afterwards sees 32424 Beachy Head running around its train prior to departure.
Dubs Crane Tank 4101 is prepared for its day of brakevan rides
4101 reaches the section starter signal on the brakevan rides, good job it wasn't allowed to go into section, there maybe a a collision....

More soon!

Kenny

Harringay Dave

Postby Harringay Dave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Ooh excellent! I’m also crafting a fictitious line in the area (imagining the Stour Town branch was extended beyond the canal wharf and on to Wombourne via Ashwood and Summerhill)

Like what I’m seeing here!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”