MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
timbologist

Re: MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Postby timbologist » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:52 am

Yes I'm back on those Tudor buildings again.
This one I have shown pictures a few posts ago, Now I'm doing all the gardening and other associated work before I place it on the Layout. As we all know easier to work on the bench than on the layout doing this fiddly stuff. Started the garden beds but needed the fencing to go any further.
so we have a 3D printed brick fence with pillars and some nice wrought iron work to top it off. I have done this sort of thing with wire before and it sucks.
3D printing is the only way to scratch build :)

Timbologist

012.JPG
012.JPG (173.7 KiB) Viewed 936 times

013.JPG
013.JPG (177.5 KiB) Viewed 936 times

014.JPG
014.JPG (161.22 KiB) Viewed 936 times

015.JPG
015.JPG (164.3 KiB) Viewed 936 times

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:10 am

Been busy on more buildings, as mentioned in my printing thread I have a new printer. here are some of the first prints.
Griffins for the tops of these fence posts, and I did some Gargoyles, which I may put on the ends of the ridges.

And working on the watermill and the millers cottage, will show some pics later.

Timbologist

007.JPG
007.JPG (170.23 KiB) Viewed 914 times

010.JPG
010.JPG (222.17 KiB) Viewed 914 times

011.JPG
011.JPG (163.65 KiB) Viewed 914 times

012.JPG
012.JPG (166.51 KiB) Viewed 914 times

009.JPG
009.JPG (198 KiB) Viewed 914 times

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:21 am

Well a lots been happening but looks like I have not done much
This Tudor house is taking forever, the garden is going to be real time consuming.
And the new printer is all sorted out, just printed some Pumpkins for the Green Grocer.
And also working on some 1918 Mack Trucks that are fully 3D printed, and of course doing bits for the dolls house's.
Back to planting flowers.
Timbologist

001.JPG
001.JPG (175.95 KiB) Viewed 887 times

002.JPG
002.JPG (170.53 KiB) Viewed 887 times

003.JPG
003.JPG (171.91 KiB) Viewed 887 times

004.JPG
004.JPG (148.76 KiB) Viewed 887 times

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

:evil: Bogrot!
Wrote a reply last night but its not here!
It was something along the lines of:-
Exquisitely small detail, dispels the winging about "I can see the lines....".
Those 'squirrels' and 'unripe tomatoes' are fantastic! :D
How long would it take to print a steam loco body at that resolution?

Re my thread, would you like a list of all my projects you need to print? or will you just keep referring back to it over the next few years? :wink:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:36 am

TimberSurf wrote:Those 'squirrels' and 'unripe tomatoes' are fantastic! :D

You trying to upset me, they are Griffins and Pumpkins :)
TimberSurf wrote:Exquisitely small detail, dispels the winging about "I can see the lines....".

As I have said in my other thread about printing, it's all about the how the user has setup the printer and slicer. And the type of printer it is printed on.
My next printer will have 3x finer in the X and Y the current SLA is 0.155mm the DLP will be 0.05mm and the Z current is 0.1mm the DLP will do 0.025mm. so stay tuned for this.
TimberSurf wrote:Re my thread, would you like a list of all my projects you need to print? or will you just keep referring back to it over the next few years? :wink:

Me and list don't work I seem to loose them :oops:
My signal box has been sitting there pre 3D printer I have cut copper wire to make the levers and foil for the locking bits. The window bars are made from plastic strip, never again :)

Timbologist

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 pm

I hate gardening. :!:
Some days I wonder what I was thinking when I get the idea of doing something like this, at least I don't have to weed it or water it. :)
Now I need to find a gardener and wheelbarrow with tools and other little bits and pieces to finish it off.
The section at the back that is unfinished is where it fits into its hole in the layout, and goes up an embankment.
Now I can get organized to start on the next unfinished building, there all lined up sitting on the track so I can't run the trains at the moment :cry:

Timbologist
006.JPG
LATEST TUDOR WITH COTTAGE GARDEN
006.JPG (166.49 KiB) Viewed 814 times

007.JPG
007.JPG (168.95 KiB) Viewed 814 times

008.JPG
008.JPG (168.86 KiB) Viewed 814 times

009.JPG
009.JPG (170.74 KiB) Viewed 814 times

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 am

Hi everyone

Been pretty busy working on 1:12 bits the last few weeks so only been doing odd bits on my trains.
Got 3 more new buildings started, of course they are Tudor still got 4 others to finish but keep getting ideas for the gaps.

Also attached is photos of my first of the OO furniture that I will be selling it's made from resin and 3D printed on a high resolution printer, another new toy. :)

Timbologist
Attachments
011.JPG
00 grandfather clock
011.JPG (140.8 KiB) Viewed 770 times
012.JPG
00 grandfather clock
012.JPG (139.24 KiB) Viewed 770 times

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:25 pm

The SLA is a definite improvement of the previous attempt, I cant even see the "lines", very impressive! :)
I could probably get into SLA or DLP if it were not such an expensive capital investment

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun May 07, 2017 2:03 am

Hello all

Again been very busy achieving not much, three buildings on the go at the moment, plus the latest printing project. The Milk Wagon, I currently don't have a milkman. Still need to work on producing people, new software to learn.
The Milk wagon body was printed on the SLA printer in one piece the rest was also printed on the SLA printer in assemblies the glued together.
The horse was printed on a DUP printer.
Have to say the milk crates are very fragile, you just look at them and they break, broke one when I toched it with the tooth brush to clean the excess resin of. So need to invest in an Ultrasonic cleaner, so I don't break things.

Timbologist

005.JPG
005.JPG (171.37 KiB) Viewed 714 times

003.JPG
003.JPG (165.96 KiB) Viewed 714 times

001.JPG
001.JPG (144.79 KiB) Viewed 714 times

002.JPG
002.JPG (135.5 KiB) Viewed 714 times

004.JPG
004.JPG (150.81 KiB) Viewed 714 times

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun May 07, 2017 8:09 am

HI timbologist
That's a very impressive piece of work. I think the milk crate issue is a function of going to far, most manufacturers tend to make the design a bit clunky, so that the models are robust and handleable, sacrificing realistic detail for practicality (needs to be shipped and not crumble the first time a customer picks it up), at 3ft away, it still represents the correct 'Look' and gives the right impression. Obviously it then does not stand up to close inspection or the macro zoom of a photo shoot! If however you are going for the ultra realism, unfortunately, until they make a 3D metal printer, you will have to sacrifice robustness for detail :D
P.S I think painting them before showing us the pics is a good idea, it shows off the contrast of the detail better than the monochrome plastic, if unpainted.
{JFYI, I recently worked for a plane manufacturer who are currently developing a titanium 3D printer!}

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 am

Impressive detail

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:58 am

Hi all
Well I have been a bit slack and not been posting anything, plus been sidetracked with other projects and life in general.I have been working on several buildings the first is St Trinians ( the saint of wayward girls ) Church, including the graveyard. These photo's show a general view of the Church.
I will post more photo's of some of the details and views of the church yard, and some special photo's for those who like things that light up at night.
All the printed bits will be available on Thingyverse when I upload then there.

PC020004.JPG

PC020003.JPG

PC020002.JPG

PC020001.JPG

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:43 am

Welcome back! lol.Thats a BIG build, what is it made of? All 3D printed? Lights of course! And I expect, detailed stained glass windows, sounds and a working bell! :lol: plus some hot mini skirted girls in the grounds! Looking forward to some more pics, I see landscapes in the back ground! Obviously been busy, so need to catch us up with the all the news. :)

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am

OK here is some photo's with the lights on it is illuminated with orange LEDS to give a bit of a candle type look.
Again photo's are not that great.
Materials,
The Stone Work is plaster cast in a sheet mould I made.
The roof is from thin textured card cut into strips then cut into slate sizes and glued onto matt board.
Window frames, the bell frames and pulleys, belfry openings and castleations are printed on the FDM printer.
The actual windows are printed on copy paper then coated with Tamiya gloss clear, make them become more translucent.
The clock and the bells in the Tower, and the pointy bits on the tower were printed on the SLA printer.
Front doors laser-cut from Jarra.

If you look carefully at the previous photos you can see the bell frames in the tower.

Will post close ups next time

PB170027_result.JPG
ST Church with lights

PB170026_result.JPG
ST Church with lights

PB170025_result.JPG
ST Church with lights

PB170024_result.JPG
ST Church with lights

PB170023_result.JPG
ST Church with lights

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:05 am

Here we have some of the details that abound the Church. It is amazing the difference a good camera makes. These were taken with a Sony Digital Mavica model MVCFD73, vintage 1999. Storage media is 1.44 Meg 3-1/4 floppy, real hi tech. it's biggest problem is it is hard to see things that are dark.
TimberSurf wrote: sounds and a working bell!
Unfortunately the bells do not move and produce a ringing sound. I may add sound later, I was going to put a floor below the bells and have a window so you could see the six bell ringers. but I thought that was a bit much :)

I have some photo's of the build progression, just need to sort them out, change of operation system, not everything is on the computer yet.

MVC-001F.JPG
The bell frame and wheels

MVC-015F.JPG
Top view of bell frame with bells

MVC-011F.JPG
Bell frame through one of the openings

MVC-009F.JPG
The round window on side of church

PC030009.JPG
View of part of the graveyard

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”