MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Postby manna » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:03 pm

G'day Gents

Layouts looking good, but why a 'nanna nap' chair, ??? you have enough room 'Under' the layout for a bed !!!!!!! :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 am

Layouts looking good, but why a 'nanna nap' chair, ??? you have enough room 'Under' the layout for a bed !!!!!!! :lol:

manna

Firstly I will make sure the wife does not read this or I might end up here, I suppose it would be better than in the dog house :)
Secondly it would make sitting and thinking with the cup of tea in hand a bit more difficult, First job of the day is make a cup of tea and sit in the chair thinking about what might happen for the day. Then during the days activities, sitting in the chair consuming more tea.
I suppose I could give up drinking tea :) .

With a bed under the layout I could make another layout that slides under the bed :lol:

Cheers
Tony

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 am

Hi all
Well the wife's back and I have finished the major part of the build the frame is finished and the main track has been laid so now I have one continuous track. So all I have to do now is temporarily bridge the track breaks where the parts of the layout join, this section is in 2 sections, for ease of moving if the event ever happens, you can see the double timbers at the south end of the upper track loop.
All I have to do now is work out where I will put all the buildings I have, can see plenty of tea drinking coming up

Cheers
Tony

P1220001.JPG
trains coming through the wall at south west corner
P1220001.JPG (158.28 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

P1220003.JPG
looking at the upper and lower tracks at the north end
P1220003.JPG (168.16 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

P1220004.JPG
looking south west
P1220004.JPG (172.05 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

P1220005.JPG
looking south
P1220005.JPG (175.19 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

P1220006.JPG
looking north west
P1220006.JPG (172.23 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:04 am

Hi all well today a day of triumph we have trains running round and round, takes about 2 minutes to do a full lap at a medium speed.

The attached pictures show the connecting section that runs across the back of my desk, it joins the east layout to the west layout. there are 4 tracks in total that go from one side to the other.

One track traverses at the upper height of 100mm.
One track traverses at the lower height of zero.
One track goes from zero on the left to 100mm on the right.
One track goes from 100mm on the left to zero on the right.

This forms a vertical crossover so I have one continuous track without having to use a crossover the grade of the slopes are about 2.5% or 25mm per metre.

This section probably won't get any scenery.
Tonight just sitting there watching the trains go buy.

Cheers
Tony

P1230009.JPG
across the back of the desk links both parts of layout
P1230009.JPG (170.96 KiB) Viewed 1162 times

P1130009.JPG
right side back of desk
P1130009.JPG (168.24 KiB) Viewed 1162 times

P1130006.JPG
left side of back of desk
P1130006.JPG (169.03 KiB) Viewed 1162 times

js1975

Postby js1975 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 am

2 minute lap times are excellent. Love your work sir!

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:49 am

Hi all
Well now I can watch the trains go by as I work currently Tornado is running a 4 carriage train.

Had trouble with the DUCHESS OF SUTHERLAND the wheels were spinning inside the traction tires, think it needs new ones :)
As for work, the new part of the layout will be mostly stone based architecture so I am currently making the pattern for a new stone sheet mould.
The next stage is to start adding texture to the individual stones, that is why I use a guide coat so i can see where I have been. Will probably take a few days to do this part.

You may well be wondering why somebody who has all the machines to this, goes and does it by hand. Well I just enjoy doing it this way, and trying to draw the textures and program it, would probably take longer than it would to hand carve it, plus trying to draw each stone different, BLAH!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:
Will find some other photo's of hand carved sheets and what the finished article looks like.

Cheers
Tony

P1240013.JPG
blank sheet of plaster stuck to glass backing
P1240013.JPG (153.81 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

P1240014.JPG
horizontal lines carved
P1240014.JPG (143.6 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

P1240016.JPG
laser engraved ruler for marking out brick and stone courses and brick widths
P1240016.JPG (174.28 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

P1240020.JPG
individual stones marked out with guide coat applied
P1240020.JPG (165.79 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 am

js1975 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm
2 minute lap times are excellent. Love your work sir!

Thank you for your comment, How did you get the inside info that I was in line for a knighthood, why is it when something is happening I am the last one to find out :)
Tony

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:52 pm

I am about to venture on something similar to your hand cast walls. I am using Linka, to construct initially, with some modified panels, but will make a generic design, then make a mould of it to mass manufacture the larger assembly. What do you use to score the morter lines? I have covered the castellated joins with mix and sanded down, but am struggling to find a tool that's "just the right size"
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:00 pm

timbologist wrote:Hi all well today a day of triumph we have trains running round and round, takes about 2 minutes to do a full lap at a medium speed.

No comment. I'm too green with envy -> :mrgreen:
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi all

No comment. I'm too green with envy -> :mrgreen:
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Thanks
End2end

It has taken me over 40 years to finally get here, the first layout went up in smoke in the bushfires it was incomplete, the second was not very user friendly or very practical, but this one is a nice balance, and can run trains any time I want to. :)
Tony

TimberSurf
Attached are some of my carving tools I use the mortar lines in the Linka tiles is about 0.4mm so the tools are thinned to that thickness. The junior hacksaw blade is the best tool for the Linka course lines as it follows the grooves . I have built a lot of Linka Structures in the past if you go here you will see some of my work and in the tutorials section http://www.linkaonline.co.uk/ I an the Tony that gets the mention.

Hope this helps
Tony

P1250001.JPG
various tools
P1250001.JPG (151.12 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

P1250002.JPG
sewing machine needle
P1250002.JPG (154.32 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

P1250003.JPG
exacto blade
P1250003.JPG (156.25 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

P1250004.JPG
junior hacksaw blade
P1250004.JPG (148.99 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:04 am

I ground a 'hook' like your "sewing machine needle" from a throw away scalpel tonight. Works but could be better, will try a junior blade, but found my two exatco saws were too wide?
I still have my Linka set from 40 years ago, and have built it up to nearly 20 moulds (though most are green and troublesome), I have been tracking the site since its beginning, and recently bit the bullet and became a member, may show off my work if I don't completely make a hash of it.
It will be long road ramp (forms backdrop of station) that leads up to two bridges in series (4 track then 3 track) and possible the station building.
I will probably start a thread once I get going.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:03 am

TimberSurf wrote:(though most are green and troublesome), I have been tracking the site since its beginning, and recently bit the bullet and became a member

It was great to see the re-emergence of LINKA just as I got back into modelling. I didnt know about it until around 2-3 years ago and It looked like the ideal product for a new unconfident modeller to build with so I too have been watching the site grow. I do have an account and have uploaded some pictures of my efforts (basically the same ones as on here) but I couldn't find them on there this evening. As it's LINKA specific I have had nothing to post on there for a while.
I now have 2 sets of the original moulds and bought some of the Herculite 2 powder when introduced but I was under the impression it was the old brown moulds that were the problemactic moulds. My green ones seem fine.
I am not need of them right now but theres some great moulds being introduced into the range which I'm sure many modellers, once they know that it is now available once again and growing will definatly be interested. It's like the bridge between kit building and scratch building or OO scale modellers Lego. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:42 am

Hi all
Have to agree with you that Linka is a wonderful concept but currently the problem is the current American owner of the brand is still not doing anything to promote it. All this is being done by those behind Linkaonline Martin and his team, They are just going from strength to strength, and are listening to what modellers want. There is plenty advice and tutorials on the site. My original moulds were my fathers and are the green ones and have gone very stiff, and hard to get the tiles out. But all my new ones are made of a nice flexible compound. All the moulds that I make myself I use latex to make them.
Hope the tools you make work for you, as you say may need a bit of tweaking, and the other thing to remember is depending what blend of plaster you are using you will have to change your tools. The plaster I use for making patterns is casting plaster which is fairly soft and easy to work. Where as the plaster you are using to make the tiles is a lot harder, and will take the edge of your tools quickly. you use the tools to scrape or scratch the plaster away, as if you try to cut you will break pieces off.

For filling the gaps in my Linka builds I use casting plaster with a pigment so I can see what is what, and easier to remove.
As for the mix I use in the tiles I use 50% dental and 50% casting, But I make my mix more of a paste, when in the container the mix looks very dry but when you knock it it goes to liquid, so you have to work it into the mould. First layer I work it in with the universal tool ( finger :) ) then a small tool to fill the mould, when filled place it on a piece of wood and tape in onto the desk, it will just flow flat. This mix goes of very quickly so mix one mould at a time, and gives a fairly strong tile.

Cheers
Tony

timbologist

NEW STONE SHEET PATTERn

Postby timbologist » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 am

Hi all

Well the new stone sheet pattern is now ready to make the latex mould, first job is to coat the plaster in shellac to seal it,
did not take as long as I thought to do the texture took only about an hour to do. I am quite happy with the result, the real proof in the pudding is what the castings come out like.
Tony

P1250006.JPG
general view of pattern
P1250006.JPG (167.44 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

P1250005.JPG
close up view
P1250005.JPG (158.87 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

P1250007.JPG
close up view
P1250007.JPG (162.53 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 am

by Dave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 pm
I have not seen anything like that in the UK, where did you get it from :?:

I made it myself on my laser engraver I have attached the original Inkscape files, so you can print them and laminate them or if you have access to a laser engraver you can get them made.

If enough people are interested could probably make some and send them over. They would have to go to one person hen distribute from there. I'll look into the shipping costs and let you know.
Cheers
Tony
Attachments
4MM-TO-THE-FOOT-RULER.svg.zip
4mm foot ruler
(20.44 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
LINKA-RULER.svg.zip
brick and stone ruler
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”