MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
timbologist

MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Postby timbologist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:04 am

Hi all

After having dismantled my previous layout, I have started to build a new layout, that will be controlled with several Arduino Mega's plus several Arduino Nano's controlling points and other bits and pieces.

About 2/3 of the track is laid and bits and pieces of the scenery is in all stages of construction.
The centre piece of the layout will be the area around the common I have included some photo's of the area, It is Tudor based.
The buildings are made of tiles that are printed on one of my 3D printers, then a glued together
The pub sign is 3D printed, as is the roundabout in the playground, the florist pots, the phone box.
Will post more photo's when I have converted then to a smaller format.
As usual any questions please ask.
The Arduino bits and pieces will post information in the Electronics section,
Have had trains running end to end, as that is all the track I have that is usable in the middle travels at a constant speed then when it reaches the end trips the first sensor and gradually slows down, then trips second sensor and stops waits a few seconds then gradually accelerates in the opposite direction, then goes to other end and does the same thing.
The circuits and software will be available if anybody is interested in it.

cheers
Tony

PA220019-VGA.jpg
The pub on the common The Loose Cannon.
PA220019-VGA.jpg (83.53 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

PA200008-VGA.jpg
View of the post office looking towards the pub The Loose Cannon
PA200008-VGA.jpg (74.33 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

PA150015-VGA.jpg
The playground area of the common
PA150015-VGA.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

PA140008-VGA.jpg
View of the florist on the common
PA140008-VGA.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

PA140010-VGA.jpg
Another view of the florist on the common
PA140010-VGA.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

TimberSurf

Re: MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 am

Simply....

!!! WOW !!!

Incredible detail, so good to not see 'recognisable' known manufacturer!

What is the playground made from?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, great to see someone who is really adept using a 3D printer. If you have the time and don't mind doing it, I, and I guess most of us here, would welcome some "how to"s and and "talk throughs" on how you do it.
Edit Don't ask why I didn't remember the ones you had done previously. Too much time exterminating would be Russian Trolls and Spammers.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Very nice work. The pub sign really demonstrates the ability of the 3D printer.

Does your layout have a name?

Cheers, V.R.

P.S. (did you steal Toorak Village?? :lol:)
'whose origin was a terminus'

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:31 pm

I have always liked Tudor/timber framed buildings, and these look excellent. I am envious of your Arduino skills, as I find it difficult to compile sketches. Have you seen any to control two level crossing gates ?

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:03 pm

How absolutely unique!! :) The only thing I can recognise are the purchased figures.
Now....How about setting up a cottage industry so we can buy some of your unique 3d prints off you. :!: :idea: :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Brooker

Postby Brooker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:00 pm

E2E, I think, looking at some of timbologist's earlier work, it's not jut the 3D printing we may be commissioning - he/she does a fine line in custom moulded parts too!

Timbologist - after a quick flick through your last build and your thread in the welcome section, I'm looking forward to following this with interest.

So far on this one - cracking!! (and aspirational)...

(edited for spelling mistakes)

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi all
Thank you for all you comments most appreciated
Now....How about setting up a cottage industry so we can buy some of your unique 3d prints off you. :!: :idea: :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end

End2end well for this if you have access to a 3D printer all the Tudor parts are available on Thingiverse the first link is my main page with all my designs, you'll just need to scroll down to find the model train items. the second is one of a complete building of 3D printed parts. If you PM me with your email address I could
look into making a kit of parts for making some buildings.

http://www.thingiverse.com/timbologist/designs
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1116335
I am envious of your Arduino skills, as I find it difficult to compile sketches. Have you seen any to control two level crossing gates ?

Buggleskelly If you PM me with your email address I could have a look at this for you.
Below is a link to a Youtube video of a point motor using a cheap SG90 servo plus an Arduino Nano to control it which would be ideal for your crossing gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL76HTyo_O8

What is the playground made from?

TimberSurf the monkey bars are made from some brass ladder out of my bits and pieces, same for the ladder on the slide, the slide section is made from copper wire with foil from a milo tin glued to it. The swings are made from different sizes of copper wire with wooden seats. And the roundabout the pipe section is 3D printed and the bass is from timber.

P.S. (did you steal Toorak Village?? :lol:)

V.R please explain this for me. and at the moment I do not have a name but working on that.

Here is a photo of something I have been playing with that is trying to get signs that look like they are painted onto stonework and look old and weathered.
PB190002.JPG
signs on building
PB190002.JPG (176.35 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

Next time will post some more photo's
cheers
Tony

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:35 am

Hello, apols for the confusion, There is a string of Tudor shops on Toorak Rd,

There must have been a thing at one stage for tudor=esque shops in Melbourne early 20thC, There's a set in Commercial Rd, Prahran, another in Burke Rd Camberwell. Elsternwick has another set.

:)
'whose origin was a terminus'

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:06 am

I have not been down that end of Melbourne for that long I could not say that I have or have not seen them, I grew up in the Northern Suburbs, If I ever go that way will have a look at them.

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:19 am

Hi all
Been writing some code today for Arduino A1 which is the first slave controller.
The throttle and block detection modules have been installed for this controller.
First photo is the 3 slave and master Arduino's mounted on there board, easy to get to mounted on side of layout.
The second photo is of one of the throttle detector units, left and right are the block detector units, centre back is the board with the power and the network cable to the slave Arduino. The centre front is a L298N Dual Full-Bridge Motor Driver that is PWM driven.
Currently I have a train traversing separate blocks maintaining the set speed from block to block, and if a neighbouring block is at a different speed the train changes to that speed. Control at the moment is via the serial monitor and keyboard. I send a string to the Arduino that contains 10 to 12 characters,
first group of 3 is whether it is a command or a request for information
second group of 3 is the block number that is to be commanded
third group of 3 is the direction that the block will be set.
fourth group can be 1 to 3 characters as this is the speed to be set.

The above will probably change at a later date as I add more features one of those is that the points contained in the slaves area will also be controlled with this command structure, which will then be relayed to other smaller Arduino's.
It's a slow process making sure everything lines up from hardware to software. I do one thing at a time or you end up in a big mess, and of course write it all down, have a folder full of notes and scribbles.

Currently waiting for more track to arrive so I can start on the missing half of the layout.
Cheers
Tony

P1170007.JPG
THE BRAINS BOX CONTROL
P1170007.JPG (168.33 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

P1150004.JPG
ONE OF THE THROTTLE DETECTION MODULES
P1150004.JPG (171.57 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

P1170008.JPG
ONE OF THE THROTTLE DETECTION MODULES UNDER THE LAYOUT
P1170008.JPG (173.59 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 am

Hi all
Here are a few photo's of the end of the layout that has had all the track laid, the first photo shows where the track goes from the main room into my work room, the last photo is where it goes through the wall in the work room back into the main room. The tracks at the moment go through the wall and stop in mid air. The track arrived today to start on this missing piece.

The hole in the layout is the access hole where the Tudor shops and the common lives. The back corner will have a stone castle, which you can see bits off, and no the bottle kilns won't be in the middle of the castle. The left side has the school, and front is another Tudor building , and the watermill on the stream.
Have more general photo' will up load then I will start sorting out some detail photo's of what I have been doing and how I have done it, As can be seen I have a long way to go.

Cheers
Tony

P1130015.JPG
P1130015.JPG (167.97 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

P1130014.JPG
P1130014.JPG (164.76 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

P1130013.JPG
P1130013.JPG (171.09 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

P1180011.JPG
P1180011.JPG (169.99 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

P1130007.JPG
P1130007.JPG (157.79 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 am

timbologist wrote:End2end well for this if you have access to a 3D printer all the Tudor parts are available on Thingiverse the first link is my main page with all my designs

Unfortunatly I don't. :( But I did have a peruse of the links. :)
One thing that is really puzzling me is how to mount a SG90 servo under my basebaord vertically so I can swing a gate. I saw your SG90 video on point changing but never saw how you had mounted it. Although for a point I'm assuming it's mounted sidways?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Gordon H

Postby Gordon H » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:05 pm

End2end wrote:One thing that is really puzzling me is how to mount a SG90 servo under my basebaord vertically so I can swing a gate.

As is often the case, MERG have a kit available for that purpose (see Kit 690):
http://www.merg.org.uk/kits.php#sect30

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:37 pm

One thing that is really puzzling me is how to mount a SG90 servo under my basebaord vertically so I can swing a gate. I saw your SG90 video on point changing but never saw how you had mounted it. Although for a point I'm assuming it's mounted sidways?
Thanks
End2end

Yes they are mounted sideways but as you can see I changed the direction with a rod and another lever, so I could use more throw of the servo but move the point less sort of geared down. I used my laser cutter to make the brackets from 3mm perspex, but I will be uploading a version to 3D print onto Thingiverse so all you need to make is the rod out of a paper clip.
To swing a gate I would mount the servo vertically and probably drive it with gears and the driven gears shaft goes up through the board to mount the gate on. Or just use levers and a rod, you would have to experiment with the lengths because of the 90 deg movement of the gate.
I over cooked the little lever as I had put holes to close to the edge.

Cheers
Tony

P1190003.JPG
P1190003.JPG (171.38 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

P1190004.JPG
P1190004.JPG (176.76 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

P1190005.JPG
P1190005.JPG (162.79 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
Attachments
P1190006.JPG
P1190006.JPG (163.86 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”