Much Oakley (N-gauge shelf)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dragonfly

Much Oakley (N-gauge shelf)

Postby Dragonfly » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Afternoon all,

So, as referred to in my workbench thread, I'm working on yet another new layout. Clatter is still in progress, and I'm hoping to build these two side-by-side. They include a few different features, though, so there should be enough to keep me interested in both.

Background: I bought a bookcase, and then MDF enclosures to fit on two of the shelves. One will contain this layout.

IMAG0774a.jpg
IMAG0774a.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 785 times
IMAG0773a.jpg
IMAG0773a.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 785 times

The plan, as it currently stands, is this:

plan1.png
plan1.png (102.73 KiB) Viewed 785 times

So what we have here is a branch-line terminus in a small village in the region of the Wye Valley / Welsh Border. There's a one-platform station, minimal run-round facilities (although most passenger workings will be autocoach sets or early railcars), a couple of goods sidings, and a short branch off to an unspecified industry (nominally a colliery, but could be anything). This is represented by the siding vanishing through a bridge or tunnel to a hidden siding off-scene.

Space is tight, so the operation of the layout will likely be along the lines of an Inglenook, but whilst Inglenook did form the initial basis of the design, I haven't kept within that puzzle's restrictions, so it's not a true one. It is quite an awkward setup though, so should be interesting.

The top part of the layout will be a higher-level village scene, likely incorporating a church. The section to the left of the red line will be removable to access the hidden siding.

The "fiddle yard" is pretty much on-scene (necessarily so, due to the nature of the layout), formed from a 25cm turntable with 3-4 tracks (depending how much I can reasonably fit on it). It does hang off the front of the layout, so stock safety considerations will need to be thought of at some point. It will be secured down, so should not just tip off, at least. The unused parts of the turntable will be scenicked too, to blend in.

Points will either be operated by Hand Of God or a wire-in-tube system like that used on Clatter (a system which works very well for me). Uncoupling will maybe be Hand Of God, although magnets are being looked into. Trying to keep everything above board level, so wiring will have to be cleverly hidden too. To keep it simple, I'm thinking two feeds (one near the turnyard/fiddletable), and one at the end of the headshunt, with a switch to select one or the other), and isolation solely by the points. I know, I know, insulfrogs = bad, but the geometry necessitated them, and they've served well on Clatter so far.

Oh and I've cheated with the turnyard; there's no way I could cut a perfect circle, so I found a craft place selling 6mm MDF or 3mm Ply shapes, including a range of circles, and bought one of their 25cm 3mm-Ply circles. The postage was double the cost of the item, but still less hassle than trying to cut one myself!

So, any thoughts?
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Dragonfly

Re: Much Oakley (N-gauge shelf)

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:08 am

...and all tucked away for Christmas now. A few arrivals in the post yesterday, including the board for the fiddletable, a bunch of second-hand but near-perfect track, thick underlay (3mm thick, hopefully to match the fiddletable and magnets), and a pack of small but strong magnets. So come New Year this should be ready to start building!

IMAG0795a.jpg
IMAG0795a.jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 764 times
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:18 am

Looks like a good plan to me, I do like a good micro.

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Dave wrote:Looks like a good plan to me, I do like a good micro.

Thanks very much!

So, back home after a week away visiting the family, so back to work. Stopped off at Trident Trains on the way home, and picked up the last needed pieces of track too, so no excuse not to get on with it now.

First step, laying out the track to get an idea as to how it'll look.

IMAG0843a.jpg
IMAG0843a.jpg (104.86 KiB) Viewed 715 times

Then marking out where the points are, and where the wire-in-tubes will need to go.

IMAG0844a.jpg
IMAG0844a.jpg (84.96 KiB) Viewed 715 times

Actually, that's a lie. I'd clearly fitted the turntable already by then. So simply, a hole drilled in the board, and in the centre of the turntable. Annoyingly, it's not perfect centre, off by about 0.75mm, but there'll be enough give to allow for a bit of a wiggle, hopefully. Otherwise, I can just order another one, and get them to drill the hole.

So, washers were duly bought, and a load of extras glued to the board to support the turntable.

IMAG0845a.jpg
IMAG0845a.jpg (107.39 KiB) Viewed 715 times

Not the tidiest solution, I grant you, but it'll do the job for now.

Next, tubes taped into place.

IMAG0846a.jpg
IMAG0846a.jpg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 715 times

I've avoided gluing, to allow for a bit of flexibility, and they'll all be held into place by the ground surface soon enough anyway.

So now, it's on to laying down the cork, ready for tracklaying.

IMAG0847a.jpg
IMAG0847a.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 715 times
=Doug

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:06 am

So, a little bit of movement over the weekend.

Literally, I mean. After laying the first pieces of track, testing each stretch to ensure it was powered.

Video Link 1

And then continuing to lay out the rest of the track, as much as I can anyway, having knackered one set of points.

IMAG0852a.jpg
IMAG0852a.jpg (136.19 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Point control is working near-perfectly. I've had a few revelations, like that they work a lot better when attached to the hole on the FAR side of the point, for whatever reason (a better angle, I suspect), not to mention being far less obvious.

I have given up on the magnetic uncouplers for the moment, until I can get a solution which relieves more aggravation than it causes. A more physical solution using Peco SL-330s could work, but would involve a lot more wires in tubes. Something to explore in a future project, I'm sure, but for now I'm happy to accept the "Hand of God" approach.

One track has been laid on the turntable, but it is not powered yet. It was simply to gauge the curves, overhang, etc. I'm awaiting the power connectors in the post, before laying any more.
=Doug

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”