Riccarton Junction in N gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
fourtytwo

Re: Riccarton Junction in N gauge

Postby fourtytwo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:01 am

Its my pleasure, this was conceived in 2013/14 before anything was available commercially anyway (AFAIK) BUT some others preceded me I remember reading a few RM articles from long ago, one based on a very long leadscrew jack and another built inside a wardrobe using the sides as guides. Wood is a natural material for railway modelers, look at all our baseboards! I can only imagine a train traversing a thin metal shelf would kick up a hell of a racket.

I thought you had built several layouts going by your excellent website, perhaps you mean one with a stacker in mind. Thank you for your kind comments, I spent most of my working life as a designer of computer related systems and solving related mechanical problems was often de-rigueur :) Thats 1700 lines of PIC assembly BTW (just counted it) :shock:
Does the pain of N gauge steam ever end!

TimberSurf

Re: Riccarton Junction in N gauge

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:38 am

1,700! Ouch!
I too, as an Electrical designer find I end up doing much in other disciplines :( , even been my stated job at times.
I think for a traverser I would use wood (more akin to a baseboard), but for sheer rigidity, my first principle would be metal for an elevator. My current layout is in flux! Not destined to be completed in my present abode (hence I am building generic modules), if the next premises are not up to my size expectations (I dream big), I may well end up having to build an OO elevator to save space, a full 4 track wide, 12 levels, 8 (+2) coach long monstrosity! :lol:
My current design uses a second level as the storage yard. Eventually planning on trains swapping out automatically.

Many thanks for the feedback on my website, I don't get any, very often! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”