Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bulleidboy

Re: Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post by bulleidboy »

The station kiosk did eventually get some customers.

"Two teas and a Kit Kat please"
ImageIMG_1020 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

A passenger reading her "Bradshaws Guide" (Mrs Portillo??).

ImageIMG_1132 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

bulleidboy wrote:The station kiosk did eventually get some customers."Two teas and a Kit Kat please"
Nah, Sir Max Beergutt and the Honourable Henrietta Horse didn't get that stocky by sharing a Kit Kat. I reckon it would be "and a Dundee cake each please, no need to slice it."

On the question of Hornby renewing the Rebuilt MN raised earlier. As a plastic bodied model, probably only when the tooling wears out or is damaged; which would seem to account for the renewal of the A3. However we should remember their venture of the 'Hornby-Dublo' metal bodied express loco range: if that continues to be successful, then I can see all the famous pacific classes used as subjects.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Bigmet wrote:
bulleidboy wrote:The station kiosk did eventually get some customers."Two teas and a Kit Kat please"
Nah, Sir Max Beergutt and the Honourable Henrietta Horse didn't get that stocky by sharing a Kit Kat. I reckon it would be "and a Dundee cake each please, no need to slice it." :lol:

On the question of Hornby renewing the Rebuilt MN raised earlier. As a plastic bodied model, probably only when the tooling wears out or is damaged; which would seem to account for the renewal of the A3. However we should remember their venture of the 'Hornby-Dublo' metal bodied express loco range: if that continues to be successful, then I can see all the famous pacific classes used as subjects.
Pete.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Really well done scenery Barry.
Pete.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Thanks Pete - I just plod away at it, taking my time.

Bigmet - you may be right about the M/N, but I would be surprised - you can never say never.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

On the quite excellent scenic front, there's one figure type missing: Porters. They will be dotted about, strategically nearby with barrow to hand, wherever there's heavy/bulky passenger baggage to be moved.
bulleidboy wrote:...Bigmet - you may be right about the M/N, but I would be surprised - you can never say never.
Just look at the price Hornby are selling their 'Hornby-Dublo-alike' line for. No discount, probably most are direct sales, and they just 'disappear', with no reports from owners running them. So it's a limited volume for a very profitable sell out to collectors, who are the optimum customer because they don't find out the mechanism and construction weaknesses!

It's pretty clear that the diecast tooling isn't expensive when based on the research and CAD available for a plastic bodied model. (There's no cost increment on the 'ordinary' Hornby models that happen to have diecast bodies instead of plastic.) My feeling is that Hornby will work this 'Hornby-Dublo-alike' angle for all they are worth, just so long as the customers keep buying. And that means a steady stream of new introductions. (Wait for the howling when it's a GW 4-6-0, priced at the same rate as the pacifics!)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Apart from the generally high price of both diecast and plastic bodied locos, provided the mechanism hasn't been skimped to offset the cost of diecasting, the metal bodied model may be preferable for those who actually run their trains. The extra weight is useful and any reduction in added detail is usually unseen on a moving loco at 2 feet or more from the observer. The collectors going for the reproduction Hornby Dublo models are collecting nostalgia. IMO the modern plastic bodied detail laden model is the far better candidate for the glass case than anything reproducing Dublo levels of detail.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:... the metal bodied model may be preferable for those who actually run their trains. The extra weight is useful ...
No 'may be' about it, I'd prefer all my steam models produced this way, and especially the smaller subjects. I now have B12/3, D16/3, J15, J36, all with metal loco bodies. The B12/3 is easily the best RTR OO 4-6-0 I have yet purchased for traction, way outperforms larger 4-6-0s with plastic bodies. The smaller locos likewise better than plastic bodied equivalents.
Bufferstop wrote:... IMO the modern plastic bodied detail laden model is the far better candidate for the glass case than anything reproducing Dublo levels of detail.
That's the question I have about Hornby's 'Hornby-Dublo-alike' introductions. Are they 'nostalgically equipped' with the clumsier detail so trypical of original H-D, with oversize 'blobby' rivet heads etc.? Something I read in the publicity suggested this might be the case.

But it need not be so. If they are produced to the same standard as the regular models in the range which just happen to have metal bodies, these lose nothing at all compared to models with plastic moulded bodies: in which case it's all gain: better traction, same fine appearance as plastic moulded bodies.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:... the metal bodied model may be preferable for those who actually run their trains. The extra weight is useful ...
No 'may be' about it, I'd prefer all my steam models produced this way, and especially the smaller subjects. I now have B12/3, D16/3, J15, J36, all with metal loco bodies. The B12/3 is easily the best RTR OO 4-6-0 I have yet purchased for traction, way outperforms larger 4-6-0s with plastic bodies. The smaller locos likewise better than plastic bodied equivalents.
Bufferstop wrote:... IMO the modern plastic bodied detail laden model is the far better candidate for the glass case than anything reproducing Dublo levels of detail.
That's the question I have about Hornby's 'Hornby-Dublo-alike' introductions. Are they 'nostalgically equipped' with the clumsier detail so typical of original H-D, with oversize 'blobby' rivet heads etc.? Something I read in the publicity suggested this might be the case.

But it need not be so. If they are produced to the same standard as the regular models in the range which just happen to have metal bodies, these lose nothing at all compared to models with plastic moulded bodies: in which case it's all gain: better traction, same fine appearance as plastic moulded bodies.

Sorry for the derailment in Wykeham...
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Almost too late to say it now, but those are really atmospheric photos.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Thanks Tony - all taken with an iPhone 8
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

A rare visitor to Wykeham Station.

ImageIMG_1343 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

and a new addition to Wykeham shed.

ImageIMG_1336 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

bulleidboy wrote:A rare visitor to Wykeham Station.
I heartily commend both the new Hornby W1 in final rebuilt form and the current Bachmann V2, should you feel the need for some more of what inspired Bulleid's developments in wide firebox power for the Southern. And then there will be the Hornby Bugatti front P2 at some future point. OVSB so wanted to build an eight coupled heavy express mixed traffic loco...
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

The new Hornby 9F Evening Star is in the post - picture will follow.

A short video clip of a Class 205 Thumper leaving Wykeham Station - click on the picture to get it going.

ImageIMG_1360 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr