Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: Wykeham - Somewhere in the South.

Post by RailwayRobbo »

A really nice layout. I shall be following your progress with interest.
The folding section looks impressive.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

That is a great looking branchline and those hinges, superb. I wonder if the company would be willing to sell them separately.
Mattc6911

Post by Mattc6911 »

Looking at your door problem, I understand the Clerk of works wont sanction an outward opening door but how about getting a joiner to make you up a stable door to fit ? you could get it made to split either below baseboard
level or above . . . or even a three panel giving you all options ! so you could open the bottom to get in . . . and then leave the top open once you are in so SWMBO can pass in tea and sarnies ( and keep a beady eye on you ) whilst the middle panel remains closed and the flap down during operating sessions ?

Just a thought 8)

Cheers

Matt
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I've been playing with the lighting - what do you think? The 1k resistors arrived today, so I am hoping to get the Ratio Station lamp posts working. They are wired-up, but it means some careful soldering under the boards - nothing like molten solder running back down your arm! Now working!

In answer to your question nickbrad - the hinges were a separate item - they were £19.50 a pair - they may have increased in price as I bought them a couple of years ago.

Mattc6911 - all options have been discussed - and on the basis of keeping the peace I have backed-off for the moment.

ImageIMG_0606 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crmalcolm

Post by crmalcolm »

Really like the look of that lighting. It gives a slightly eerie feel as there are no people visible in the shot - as if the train is sat early and there will be a bustle of activity any moment.
End2end

Post by End2end »

What a great atmospheric shot. :D
As for the door. Rip it orf and hang a curtain, reminding the management that nothing gets in the way of progress :D
(hides back under the parapet) :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Ratio Concrete Platform Lamps now up and running. Each lamp has two 3v LED's with a 1k resistor fitted to each post (2 LED's), they are powered from a 9v/12v supply - 9v or 12v doesn't appear to make any difference. The real thing can be seen on the Corfe Castle Station live (24/7) web cam. I have now turned the voltage down to 3v and the light output may now be slightly dimmer.

Image100_0520 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Another great photo. I can almost smell the smoke! :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Wykeham Station building is in the process of getting extended. I had an accident with some glue on an earlier kit, so had a lot of parts left over when I built the current station. It will now have a new "wing" at each end, together with lighting and a Redutex roof. A little over the top, but it seemed a pity to throw these parts away. The new lighting was a lot easier to handle. The LED's came with the resistor fitted and all mounted on a small paxolin(?) plate and pre-wired. I did replace the wiring with something a little more substantial, which was an easy job.
Last edited by bulleidboy on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi bulleidboy,

I just love the lighting effects.
Once I thought it a lot of effort for something you don't really enjoy when running
as you need the overall light to be sufficient to work in. These photographs prove
it is worth doing ...... and I've now started adding a few.

Geoff T.
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Hi and just to say what a great job you have done, I have really enjoyed catching up with this thread and the track plan is a delight, lots of operational interest in there.

Thanks for sharing.

Gavin.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I've removed the station and added some lights under the canopy. A nightmare of a job that would be better done during construction. I need to add a resistor or two to dim the lights, and some painting needs to be done, but it should look ok. As can be seen the station now has a new "wing" at either end - these also have internal lighting. I've even illuminated the clock.

Image100_0521 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0244 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

'After Thought Lighting' is always going to be a difficult job, but it looks
like you've managed O.K.
How bright is it in eye-ball reality ? I ask because it looks too bright, but
my small camera always exaggerates so photographs always look too bright.

Geoff T.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Geoff

They are too bright at the moment. They are 3v LED's, without a resistor(s) fitted. Once this is done it will take the lighting down to something more realistic/ acceptable. I might also paint the lamp shades, so that the lamps just illuminate the main platform area - there is a lot of light coming up through the canopy roof. The shades are the ones from the the Ratio Concrete Platform Lamps - I saw a picture of Crowhurst Station in the early 1960's, and it had these shades. Barry
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I have now reduced the brilliance of the lighting. If I were to do this again I would incorporate the lighting during construction of the building. Soldering under the canopy would have been far easier had the roof not been in place. I now need to get some people on the platforms.

Image100_0523 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.