Otley and Ilkley Joint Railway 1940

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
OtleySteamer

Otley and Ilkley Joint Railway 1940

Postby OtleySteamer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:52 am

Well it is very loosley based on the line that ran in the lower Wharfedale Valley. My approach is to incorporate the railway track into a 'realistic' landscape rather than to try and fit a landscape around a very crowded railway.
1940 interested me as I cand incorporate some military figures and have aircraft too (perhaps blimps as well - will disguise the bubbles on the backscene).
I'll be using DCC with e-link and Railmaster software on an old XP PC. Had a stash of polystyrene slabs in one of our sheds (long story) and saw an opportunity to make use of them for building up basic contours. Will be using modroc on top.
Here's a few pics of the thing so far (in my 'shedquarters'). Nothing is fixed yet and most of the Metcalfe models are not going to end up where they are now (excpet for perhaps the church). Its an L shape 12ft long and 6ft wide at the widest point. Here's the left hand side:
The middle (the viaduct will be over a canal). The one and only station will be along the back 'shelf':
Right:

Out of shot on the right is the (yet to be built) other half that will complete the loop and include fiddle yard, etc.

whynot

Re: Otley and Ilkley Joint Railway 1940

Postby whynot » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Nice! Looks as if you will indeed "...incorporate the railway track into a 'realistic' landscape ..."

"Big country" scenery coming along very well I'd say.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”