55" x 18" light railway micro layout - 'Maltby' in Lincs

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
jimread

55" x 18" light railway micro layout - 'Maltby' in Lincs

Postby jimread » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:37 am

Hello all,

My other two micros names begin with 'M'; Moxley and Muckton so I looked for an 'M' in Lincs and found Maltby not far from Muckton both not far from Louth it's only claim to fame being some springs and not far away Bully Hill that gave me an idea for the trackplan. Having met Colin French at a show in Hertford last year and seen his delightful Ledsam Street layout I decided a couple of days ago to have a loco shed over the loco release traverser.

Here's the trackplan redrawn today
The crossover is a Barry Slip, two points on top of each other.

The baseboard
I make them from 5mm plywood the guides for the traversers are just two strips of hardwood.

I started making it in 2015 so I'll update this soon to get where I am at the moment.

Cheers - Jim
I try to make as much as I can myself'
O gauge, 7mm scale, micro layouts: https://ogaugemicro.blogspot.co.uk/

jimread

Re: 55" x 18" light railway micro layout - 'Maltby' in Lincs

Postby jimread » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:03 am

Hello all,

A couple more pics.

The board top
With the point and slip drawings stuck to the board, I'd made a start with some rail and stuck down some of the card sleepers

Close up of some of the trackwork
The sleepers are grey card with copperclad strips for the point and Barry slip the track spikes are from the 7mm NG group. The loco and the cattle truck are made from card and paper. In the background the slip 'levers' and the built in controller.

Cheers - Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:05 am

Very impressive Jim - I've never come across the term "Barry slip" before, and would appreciate a close-up photo (even photos!) of its entireity if possible from above please.

jimread

The Barry slip

Postby jimread » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Hello EP,

Thanks for the impressive very nice of you :-)

I first came across the slip in the book 'Branch line to Selsey', didn't know what it was called and always wanted put one in a layout. I found out at a show after describing it to a visitor, he explained that it was called a Barry slip and used by the Barry railway in the Welsh valleys where the good yards were very small and restricted.

I made the drawing by superimposing one of my point drawings on top of another;
It prints onto an A4 sheet.

When I made it, it was a touch of the suck it and see;
I had to shorten and reposition the point blades three times on the right and twice on the left. I've used loops of thick wire under the baseboard and in contact with one blade at a time with another wire from the loops to the frogs to change the frog polarity. Known as the 'sticky up' bit of wire technique. To get it to work the wires have to go to opposing frogs. It all works fine now I'm very glad to say :-)

Cheers - Jim

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks Jim - it really is the most fascinating piece of pointwork I've ever seen, and it is a real headache to visualise its potential in operation!

jimread

Postby jimread » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello EP,

Your right about its use quite a bit of too-ing, fro-ing and shifting stuff about to be able to use it.
I like to be able to sit at a show; do some slow shunting and chat to visitors so it's ideal for me.

Cheers - Jim

jimread

Postby jimread » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am

Hello all,

Having decided to make a loco shed at one end of the layout I thought I'd better make a coaling stage and a water tank.
I used a photo from from Selsey branch station at Chichester for the basis of the water tank and the coaling stage from measuring a wagon.

Working out the tank capacity for the size comes to 600 Gallons! and as I know that a Cu Mtr of water weighs in at a metric tonne I thought I should make some substantial supports.

Cheers - Jim

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 pm

I love your "make everything myself" attitude Jim. :D That pointwork I can only gawk at. :shock:
I try to make as much as I can with my limited skills (sitting here making coal loads at the moment lol) but I'd never attempt track let alone something so complex. Bravo! and all power to your elbow. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

jimread

Postby jimread » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Hello E2E,

Thanks for your nice comment I'm grateful to you, my main reason for making stuff is that I am like a Yorkshire man i.e. a Scot with the generosity removed.

Hello all,

Here's a pic of my incomplete back scene, this one will go in front of the controller
This is what stopped me for a year or so from completing the layout. I've lots of pics I'd taken in Sheffield of old industrial buildings but none of them suitable for a sort of rural industrial site like Maltby. In the end I decided to make some brick paper from a pic and use that for some of the buildings, altering it slightly for each building.

Cheers - Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:23 pm

This is my first comment on your thread, I am absolutely amazed by your track building,
card sleepers 'genius', and that point, blimey, it's bewildering, well done.

I particularly like the way you just happen to mention 'the loco and cattle truck are made from
card and paper' WHAT!! You just have to show us more of those builds, brilliant, keep it up.

Nice low relief building too.

Jim.

jimread

Postby jimread » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your comments it's very good of you but I deserve non of it, I feel a complete fraud amongst so many modellers who make huge layouts while I fiddle and faff around with little tiny ones.

My main motive for learning how to do things is lack of money, a wagon for £10 a loco for £35, all the trackwork on a board for less than the cost of a couple of 00 ready made points.

I will do some 'how to' posts as I make stuff for this layout, an LNER Y8 loco and a GN van and some back scene bits from start to finish.

Cheers - Jim

[edit] missed a word

jimread

Postby jimread » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Hello Jim,

I just noticed that you are in Fleetwood
I made the G&KE van for a previous layout it was a delightful little railway I like the way they converted old coal wagons to those vans.

Cheers - Jim

jimread

Water tank and coaling stage, nearly finished

Postby jimread » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 am

Hello all,

This is a pic of my water tank before I finally glue it up
Just got to put some cotton around the delivery hose

The tank is covered in Tesco's paper with a rusty galvanised steel photo from textures.com printed onto it and the rivet heads are blobs of Seccotine. The two ball valves are made from strips of paper wound around some wire stripped from some T&E cable with a couple of filed down screws for the on/off shaft end, both then 'smoothed' off with more Seccotine.

The card supports were Shellaced and then painted with Vallejo paint. The plinth at the bottom is made from card, some of my own brick paper and there's a manhole cover (which you can't see) that Justin from Scale Model Scenery gave me at the Micro layout show in Peterborough last week. The delivery hose is some printed paper rolled around a length of the cable.

And this the coaling stage made and finished in the same manner as above
Will have a crush some more coal to go in it

Cheers - Jim

[edited] more information

jimread

Postby jimread » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello all,

I want to have a little bit of countryside behind the water tower and the coaling stage, I took this pic to see if it would work.

I'm going to have to alter the perspective and make the sky area bigger to make it fit in.

Cheers - Jim

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the wagons and locos, especially the G & K E ones, beautifully built and yes,
I live just over the River Wyre from the site of the old Garstang and Knott End Railway.

I am sure they had a loco they called 'The Pilling Pig', correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.

Jim.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”