Lessor Tufts - OO In the loft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:23 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:29 pm

Thanks for the info Steve.

This is the snag. In this day and age disclaimers are a part of life! Obviously there is more load bearing capacity then any self respecting builder or engineer would like to admit but it is finding out how wide the safet margin is and more importantly at what point is it quite literally dangerous.

I bet the majority of people have hoards of junk stored in their lofts but as soon as you want to use the space for anything purposeful then it becomes an issue of safety.

Trev
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:35 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:49 pm

We had alot of junk up there and still do but i'm working on getting it moved out.

On that other forum theres a member whos decided to build a loft layout and his loft is hundred and thirty years old as it is a victorian house,but he is just going to board the floor up and the roof and thats it i think from his posts.

I think theres afew on that forum that haven't strengthed the floor joist up and just boarded the floor up to put the layout on.If you join the forum and ask the question about it to steve jones i'm sure you'll get an answer even from afew more who have loft layouts.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:56 pm

Hi Steve, think I will do that. Initially I felt it would be a bit cheeky joining just to contact Steve Jones but it is probably a good idea to post the question there in order to get some more feedback.

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:56 pm

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:05 pm

I think if your going to use the loft as a bedroom or something then you'll need to strengthen the floor joist as there will be alot of weight on them, but for a model railway you shouldn't need to as that will weigh less than bedroom furniture.Just remembered why not ask the steve on this forum see what he did in his loft for his and sons layout.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27 pm

I know, I keep telling myself 'Don't worry, it be fine" but there is that nagging doubt.......

I think it just became more of an issue this weekend when I looked more closely at the water tank. I started surfing the net and found all sorts of warnings etc about ensuring the joists are strenghtened.

Admittedly it was normally referring to when a loft is converted into a bedroom or living space but I am finding it difficult to differentiate between a bed and a wardrobe and a load of junk plus a model railway layout (with all the timber work required for it)

Deep down I think it will be fine, but then there is Murphy's law................

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:58 pm

Another thing is you would think that a model railway would weigh more than a load of junk stored in the loft but really the layout would weigh less as the weight would be spread more evenly around the loft,where as stuff stored in the loft is more or less stored in piles instead of evenly around the loft.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:02 am

Yes you are right there. Trouble is I will also still have a load of 'junk' in the loft. Well I call it junk but the wife refers to it as personal momento's. :D

My motto is if you have not had use for it in two years then it should go...........
Trev

My layout thread

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:05 am

Ours is still full of stuff as it is stored at the sides of the loft and under my layout as to fit point motors when i do i have to move stuff out the way just to get under there,but i am slowly getting more stuff out of there is just getting my parents to say yes we can more it to somewhere else.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:11 am

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:44 am

dr5euss wrote:
I keep telling myself 'Don't worry, it be fine" but there is that nagging doubt.......

If it's bothering you this much Trev, go and see a psychiatrist (sp?), then build your layout in a comfy padded cell :wink:!

You have house insurance as well, I suppose?

Ha ha.........do not joke I may well end up there now I have started this crazy hobby :D

House insurance...lol, can imagine the assesor's report when I file my claim.....................
Trev

My layout thread

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi Trev have a look at this article http://www.rmweb.co.uk/Articles/Drum.htm and this guy is also a member of rmweb forum and i posted the link awhile ago in lee's thread on here,he has the same roof design as you but i don't think he had to strengthen the joist in the loft but laid 2x1 on them to raise the floor so he could pass power cable through notches he put in the 2x1 he put down instead of cuttin notches in the joists.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi Steve,

First off all thanks for suggesting the other forum. Yes, I was aware of this layout in the loft . In fact I am dead jealous as it looks very impressive :D I also remembered he was a member of the same forum and was hoping he might see my new thread. If not I will probably get in touch jsut to check on some details regarding his loft.

Once again thanks for your help :)

Trev

PS I have found a builders forum http://www.ebuild.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/discus.pl. I plan to ask the same questions there, however reading previous posts on similar subject's I imagine they will tell me to strengthen the floor.
Trev

My layout thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”