Lessor Tufts - OO In the loft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:54 pm

I was going to do that in the loft but have decided to buy a air cooler to put in the loft for those summer days i am up there,it also has a heater built in for when it's cold.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:46 pm

Hi Steve,

I am not sure how effective this stuff will be and knowing how hot it gets in the loft in the summer I may still have to do the same!

Trev
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Just a quick update on the little progress made.....

Last weekend and today have been spent mainly adding light points to areas of the loft which wll not be part of the layout area. Also wired in some sockets for the layout area and re-routed existing wiring which was going to impede the area I am converting.

All in all, quite a frustrating time as the loft still looks exactly the same as it did before Xmas but this wiring needed to be done first and I am glad it is now finished.

The water tank is going to be moved. As to when......well I haven't decided yet!!! Need a whole day to myself without anyone else in the house. My biggest concern is trying to complete it in a day!

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:26 pm

Now that I have reached the stage of moving the cold water header tank I started getting some nagging doubts regarding the strength of the joists in the loft..... :?

For years on end I have had stuff piled up in various areas of the loft and to an extent still have. When I started studying the raised platform for the water tank it dawned on me that the type of platform it was on was purely to distibute the weight of the tank and was not to increase the height of the water supply :oops:

I cannot see a big problem in building a new platform to the same dimensions at the gable end but have started now to worry about the additional weight of the railway layout and all the timber etc. The joists are approx 40 mm by 90 mm. They are 600 mm apart.

Now I know that if the loft is converted into a livable space then the floor needs strengthening. Do not know though what is an acceptable weight if it is not strengthened.

I suspect the only way to be completely happy is to get the advice of a structural engineer. However I am also wondering if other 'lofties' have faced similar concerns/problems and what, if anything, they did to resolve it.

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:51 pm

I understand your concerns, but I have had the layout in the loft for a few months now even adding extra bits as I go and have had no problems with the floor.

The one thing that may make a difference is that I only have the middle section standing on the floor - the 2 side pieces are supported by the roof supports.

HTH

Chris

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:56 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:01 pm

The joist in our loft are 3x2 and sit over the supporting walls in the middle in the middle of the house which is where my layout is and has been ok upto now,but the roof of the house is held up by 8 7x3 beams 4 lower and 4 higher up and sit on the the end walls that seperate our house from the neighbours houses and sit on two more supporting wall in the middle of the house but off-set to each other.
Last edited by dynamite25 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:10 pm

Steve Jones has the same type of loft as you and he hasn't had to strengthen the floor joist to have his layout up there as you can see from his website. http://www.electricnose.co.uk/layout/notwalsall.html
Last edited by dynamite25 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:39 pm

How did that full stop get there well all sorted now George.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

A proper loft conversion would be nice but I think I have trouble convincing the wife :lol: Though I do appreciate you probably get most of the investment back if you sell the house.

Yes, a brick wall in the middle would be ideal! Sounds like you are ok there Steve. Thanks for the tip regarding Steve Jones. I had forgotten about his layout. Might try and contact him.

Chris, what size are your joists? I would think some of the load is taken by the joists at the point the trusses join them. I do not fully understand how the trusses work though I think the term used is triangulation :?: I think this means all the load is not on the lowest point i.e where the truss meets the joist but there again I am not sure :? I have had boards layed on the trusses for quite some time (for storing stuff) and there does not appear to be a problem. However, there must be a point when the load is too much !!

Now this is the bit I do not get. My water tank weighs a 1/3 of a ton. The platform it sits on is built across the centre of three joists (i.e the weakest point). There are basically 6 pressure points. Broken down this equates to two on each joist with a gap of 6 feet betwen the two points. In my calculation each joist is bearing around 16 stone in its centre. Therefore I am thinking that the other joists must be able to take the same weight Note these three joists are currently bearing other bits and bobs as well not counting the ceiling and roof. :? The bit I do not get is as George said, I keep on reading on the web that more often then not joists in the roof are only designed to hold up the ceiling.

The crazy thing is that there has been a lot of stuff up in the loft for the last ten years. I am only starting to worry about the strength of the joists now I want to play up there :)
Trev

My layout thread

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:05 pm

If you want Trev Steve Jones posts on this forum http://www.118go.co.uk/rmweb/index2.htm so you could ask the question on there or email him direct.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:09 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14 pm

If you scroll down to the 01/01/2006 on his site you will notice why he hadn't posted for a bit and why he has two puppies.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”