Lessor Tufts - OO In the loft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:42 am

I always believed that the reason we have tanks in the attic is to feed the bath quickly. If everyone had a bath at the same time the water pressure would plumit.

I also have a combi now and our could water tank and hot water storage tank have been removed.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:56 am

Thanks Rob, I look forward to setting the house on fire in due course! :lol: [/img]
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:53 pm

Yep I think you are right guys. It must be due to the water pressure.

Beginning to wonder if this thread should be placed in a different area. Personal layouts does not seem appropriate at the moment! Maybe a new forum could be started for loft preparation (or somthing similar)

Trev
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Ijdagger

Postby Ijdagger » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:51 pm

Might be a bit late, but you mentioned lowering the vent pipe, this may cause problems if its your expansion tank for your central heating???

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi Ian, no it's the vent pipe from the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. Currently it rises about a foot higher then the cold water tank in the loft then travels a foot horizontally before returning down into the top of the water tank.

If you know any Do's or Dont's then I would be grateful for any advice as I plan to move the water tank as well as lowering the vent pipe!

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

coupesteve

Postby coupesteve » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:14 pm

that is your expansion tank isnt it?

Ijdagger

Postby Ijdagger » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:31 pm

If i remember rightly, there has to be a distance of 150mm from the level of the water to the bend above the tankhttp://www.diydata.com/planning/central_heating/boiler.htm

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Hi Steve,

No it isn't. The pipe I am referring to is the hot water pipe (supplies hot water to taps etc) from the hot water tank secondary circuit. It is also routed to the cold water tank to supply a means of venting of any air bubbles.

The vent pipe you are thinking of is the continuation of the hot pipe from the bolier. This pipe, which feeds the primary ciruit of the hot water tank is also routed into the expansion cylinder for the central heating. The purpose again is to vent of air bubbles.

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:52 pm

Hi Ian,

Could not find the reference to the height on that link you gave me. Though the info was regarding the 'other' vent pipe.

Think I will try and seek some advice from a plumber's merchant's just to make sure I can do what I am proposing.

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Assuming I can move the tank I have taken some measurements and come up with a revised plan for the baseboard. Need some advice here. I want to know if the plan shown below is workable. There are two areas for working in and I wondered if they are large enough (specifically the area which is 4ft by 2 ft.

All measurements are in feet.

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:45 pm

a doorway is about 800mm wide but I wouldn't fancy working in one :^) 2ft is even smaller than that (600mm?) but at least your arms will be free. If it's only for occasional maintenence and construction access it should be ok. More important is the width of the layout itself. Can you reach every part of it easily, even with buildings in the way? There's nothing worse than being stabbed in the chest by a church steeple :^(
Regards
Rob

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:00 am

Hi Rob,

Yes, I envisage the smaller area being used just for scenery construction and maintenance. I'm fairly confident the corners will be accessible.

The idea of a middle section appeals to me but i'm not sure if the advantage of extra baseboard in this position outweighs the reduction in freedom of movement!!

No worries about the church steeples, I just chop the pointed bits off :lol:

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:34 am

You could, perhaps, make the middle cross bit into a narrow fiddle yard maybe 1'-1.5' wide, it could even run diagonally to provide the return for a reversing loop. So it wouldn't be scenic but would expand the operational complexity without crowding the bits that are. You wouldn't even need to ballast it :^)
Regards
Rob

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Good idea Rob. Maybe I need to give more consideration as to what I want in my layout before constructing the baseboard. Though I guess I can just as easily add a middle piece at a later stage if I feel I need the extra room for say a fiddle yard.

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:38 pm

Been searching around for insulation material for the roof and have decided to go for some air bubble material which is coated in foil. This is sold by Wickes at £13.50 (or thereabouts) for a 8M X 600mm roll. This is the same as the stuff made by Airtec but is a lot cheaper.
Trev

My layout thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”