Lessor Tufts - OO In the loft

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Pete. As you probably thought, I had talked myself into thinking the best way forward was to go with a flat baseboard.

Made a start today, some framework has gone up but progress was slow because I kept looking at the water tank and wondering if there was anyway I could make some more space. First, I thought about boxing the tank in and running a removable section of baseboard over the top. Decided against this as because of it's proximity to some trusses there would be no good access to the right of the tank. Have decided now to bite the bullet and shift the tank back to the far wall. At the moment it is 4 feet away and it is just a shame to not make use of that extra space.

Trev
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:48 pm

You're a braver man than I am (moving a water tank I mean) or are you going to get a plumber in? Not being familier with UK construction methods, is the roof specially braced around the water tank or is the whole roof designed to take the weight?

1) Regarding DCC, I'm not sure if Smokey Joe can take a decoder anyway (as it's quite a small loco).

I have fitted a Digitrax DH121 decoder into a Hornby Pug and thats not even the smallest decoder available. In fact its current capacity (1.5 amp) is way over what I could have gotten away with. Admittedly I had to remove most of the weight from inside the boiler so it doesn't have the traction it once did. I may buy a smaller decoder for it in the long run and wrap a bit of lead sheet around it.

Most DCC systems can run a single loco on DC but it doesn't do the motor much good, its like placing a constant 12-16V AC on the motor, it just sits there humming away when it isn't moving.

Keep the pics coming :^)
Regards
Rob

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi Rob, Thanks for the info on DCC. Sounds like I will be able to fit a decoder to Smokey Joe after all. I shall do some checking when the time arrives. Which, on current progress, will be the year 2010 :)

I have dabbled in plumbing before without too much problem. Products in the plumbing market these days do make it a lot easier for the DIYer. The water tank is currently sitting across the rafters on a raised wooden platform. (1ft high) I was trying to figure out why the platform was raised as it is not providing any extra support. Though my knowledge on plumbing is pretty basic I have come to the conclusion it is raised in order to meet a requirement for the necessary height above the taps in the bathroom. If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate the feedback.

What I plan to do is cut the pipes to the tank so as not to disturb the seals at the tank itself and then build a new platform against the wall, shift the tank and then extend the pipes. I could re-use the existing platform but this would drag the job out whilst the water was turned of.

Well that's the current plan anyway......I shall make sure my house insurance will cover me for major leaks first though :lol:

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:36 pm

I don't know much about plumbing myself either, but don't forget to remove the insulation below where the tank will be going. I think they do this so that it get some heat from the floor below.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of the tank move!

Raider

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:43 pm

LOL, I will only put some pics up if it is successful!! Not sure about the insulation thing as it is a cold water tank.

I plan to get some more facts together anyhow before starting so shall check that one out. Thanks for the thought anyway.

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:50 pm

don't forget to remove the insulation below where the tank will be going. I think they do this so that it get some heat from the floor below

I'll bet they do it because the insulation guy is too lazy to crawl under the tank :^D

here's a pic of me Pug and decoder if you're interested

Regards
Rob

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:54 pm

I always thought it was to stop the tank freezing in the winter - probably wrong, but seemed logical to me.

Local Plumb centre or DIY shop should be able to offer advice though

Looks like a tight squeeze for that DCC decoder!

Chris

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:56 pm

Our cold water tank is in the airing cupboard which is good as if it was in the loft i would loose space for my layout.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:03 pm

Why do you need a cold water tank? Doesn't it come out of the tap?
Regards
Rob

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Ironduke wrote:Why do you need a cold water tank? Doesn't it come out of the tap?

lol

We have 2 tanks in the loft - 1 large one for the cold water which feeds the hot water tank etc and the other is the expansion tank for the heating system.

Chris

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:13 pm

I think our tank feeds the Emerson heater below it for hot water for the taps.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:16 pm

I have 2 empty tanks in the loft as we have a combi boiler and the cold water comes straight off the mains. One tank is plastic so should be able to cut up and dispose of fairly easily. The other is galvanised steel(?) and large so no idea how to shift it/break it up - at the moment I plan the baseboard to go over it where they overlap.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:29 pm

Good point about stopping the water tank from freezing! Bit too obvious for me :D

Not sure if I would get any helpful advice from B&Q though, It reminded me of a Jack Dee sketch a few months ago on the beeb. He was taking the p*** out of B&Q and had me in stitches.

Most modern houses in the UK have a cold water tank to feed the toliets, upstairs taps and the hot water tank. The cold water tank is fed of the rising main and inflow is controlled by a ball valve. As to why this is the preferred method for supplying cold water is lost on me!

Thanks for the pic on your decoder and loco Rob. I haven't a clue what I am looking at but I'm sure in time it will make sense :lol:

Trev
Trev

My layout thread

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:35 pm

Oh ok. I recall when I visited the UK the water pressure wasn't very high. All of our water (in most of the built up areas at least) comes from large dams high in the hills.

Andrew, the galvanized iron tank should come apart ok with an angle grinder or oxy-torch or the seams may simply be soldered if it's old enough, in which case a plumbers blow torch would do the job. You'd have to watch out for fire in all cases though. Otherwise if it isn't too much in the way perhaps you could cut a door in the side and use it for storage?
Regards
Rob

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:40 pm

And no probs re the pic :^) always nice to meet another technophile.
Regards
Rob

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”