Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Re: Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Postby Spavo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks Guys that's much appreciated....and yes indeed Dennis it is great to be back in the builders fold....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:34 am

Hello Everyone.

A little update for you, due to work being a bit slow last week I managed to take a break from decorating the house for 5 minutes to get some work done on the layout.

The top board and track is all laid. Point motors are all in and control panels are up and running. Everything had gone pretty much to plan, the control panels are a little confusing at times but it is purely something I will get used to with time I suppose having always relied on the hand of god before for point operation. Testing went well with no short circuits or derailing issues.

Anyhow onto the pics....

The panels are in, powered and although the tidying of the wiring leaves a lot to be desired at least everything is labelled underneath and I know exactly what wires go where and why!

So it's track painting next and some light weathering, ballasting....and getting the backscene made up and installed...

On a separate brief note I took a lovely trip to Durdle Door in Dorset today with the Wife...had a great time in a great location and fully made the most of my £12.50 return on the Swanage Railway...

Finally Wifey was none too pleased about being asked to pose next to 33201 but she's a game girl...!!

Happy days.....see you all soon guys...

Gav.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:26 am

Spavo wrote:
and although the tidying of the wiring leaves a lot to be desired at least everything is labelled underneath and I know exactly what wires go where and why!

Gav.

I know that situation only too well, although "exactly" might take some investigation as one or two labels have fallen off!

An impressive pair of panels.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:37 am

Thanks Ex-Pat you're probably not wrong....!!

So this coming Friday when my 3 year old Grandson visits......I should retain my rightful place as Best Grandad In The World..... :) :) :)

http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/e32 ... lfreab.mp4

See you all soon guys,

Gav.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:07 pm

A great looking plan and nice to see Thomas on his travels at the end.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:41 am

Thanks Nick, much appreciated....

So a short update for everyone, I seem to have been quite busy on the layout over the last couple of weeks with hours done here and there but I haven't achieved as much as I thought I might, luckily as this layout is a long build with no end date needed there is no need to rush....

So all the necessary ballasting is complete, of course there is still a lot to do when the platforms and walls are in, I just find it easier to not ballast these areas until the platforms etc are in place and then just ballast that side of the track up against them. This will be the same for the oil point and loco servicing area etc.

The rear platform for my High Street is starting to come together, this will feature low relief shops and houses on the back wall, then paths and a roadway before pathways on the opposite side before the retaining wall arches that will butt up and above the boards to give a nice finish. The plaster retaining walls that I am building currently will obviously be placed last to give me access under the houses and roads for lighting.

And finally at the South end of the layout I have just started to mock up the overbridge that will feed the road onto the High Street and also hide the horrid corners. The slightly raised boards at the back are going to have a row of low relief terraced house backs all the way along with a pathway and stairs leading down onto the lower board for access to the road and bus stop!

To the left of this photo is the Helix which in time will have a large "Hat" installed on the top, featuring a village scene and the road feeding down to these boards and across the railway.

So that's about it for now, more to come obviously but it will be a while, I have a whole lot of card kits to make...

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:59 am

Hi Everyone,

So I have moved along a little more now, progress is steady if not fast-paced....and it is sure getting colder in that garage!!

So I have started installing the plaster retaining walls for the High Street and at the same installing the Metcalfe low relief buildings and lighting.....there's so much to do with detailing on the road and the pathways, as well as painting the retaining walls....here are some pics as ever....

And the terraced house building seems never ending.....

The lighting is going in and so far so good, looks pretty effective....imho...

That's all for now guys, I'll be back soon....thanks for viewing,

Gav.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:56 am

The arched retaining wall and low relief terrace make a great backdrop to the scene. Nice job!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Can't believe I've not posted on this build.
I blame all those wires - frightened me off, short circuited my brain !!
Do I recall a layout once with a castle ?

I get easily confused, blame my age .......

Love the way the street has worked out, it may be so commonly used
that some revolt against Metcalfe, but it works for me.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:41 am

Thanks Bufferstop, I can't remember where exactly I borrowed the idea to use a raised road bed and low relief houses as a backscene rather than a...well backscene but it works better in my opinion in the garage...getting anything the right perspective for a backscene I have always found difficult so this has just worked out easier in some ways...thanks for the comment.

And thanks Dad, yes the wiring is all a bit scary and not the most professional to be honest but it is doing the job and at least I am happy for that.

I can't honestly remember a castle myself...there have certainly been a few churches and in the very beginning there was a "music mountain" but that's another whole story.....

Thanks for the comment about the street and I get entirely where you are coming from, Metcalfe are a very simple and sometimes frowned upon solution to my sort of requirement...also with my skill set no matter how my layouts start out they always end up having a rather simple yet pleasing "train set" feel to them and Metcalfe/Superquick card kits suit this purpose perfectly.

Thanks again.....more updates as we go when there is something to report.

Gav.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:43 am

I see......roof people :shock: :lol: It's all those small details that make a good layout for me and your is definatly coming up trumps!
A question.... did you cast the retaining walls yourself? I am an advocate of Linka (now it has made a resurgence) and they look very similar to the new moulds available.
The high street and terrace look really good. I don't think I've seen so many in a row before. It really does have the feel of a suburban hive of activity leading to town :) Only 1 thing missing for me on the main road. A bus stop :D (double yellows can stay firmly in the real World!!) :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks End2End.....your kind comments are much appreciated.....

Yes the retaining walls are all self cast with rubber moulds bought from ebay, they were not Linka but a decent copy and I just used modelling plaster and then made 1-a-day, every day, for a while until I had enough....I think the 2 casts I bought were about £12 each and then when I had done enough with some spares for good measure I sold them back on there for about £10 so pretty good value for money.....

And Funnily enough I just dug out my bus stops from the loft storage this week and also ordered some nice quality road markings from the net to bring the road surface to life......the high amount of people out and about....both in the town and on the surburban street is another indication of my somewhat "train-set" feel to modelling....it is always a Saturday morning on this layout! When the markings go down on the road and the vehicles come out of storage things should really come to life....

So again many thanks for looking, another update with some improved town scene photo's should be just around the corner.

Gav.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:54 pm

getting anything the right perspective for a backscene I have always found difficult

Yup - it's impossible. Perspective only looks right when you look from the same position as it was drawn. You have to resort to tricks to restrict the angles from which you can view it, like putting a row of houses or hedges and walls to cut off the angles that don't work.
The viewing height is a similar problem, the join between a 3D modelled road and its extension on the backscene looks wrong if you view it from a point in mid air rather than somewhere close to your scale height above the baseboard level. It's one of the reasons my baseboard level is 4'3" above the floor, it means that when I'm standing or seated on a draughtsman's chair my eye level approximates to a second storey window. The downside is having to use a stepstool for construction and maintenance.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:19 am

Thanks for the brilliant explanation Bufferstop, that is exactly why I have gone for blue paint on the wall and low relief housing in front!

Much appreciated.

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:23 am

And just for fun.....a return to the good old photo caption days.....

Mrs Green, with her womanly intuition, knew that things were never going to be the same once Mr Green had set eyes on Jasmine's incredibly tight pink trousers......

As Dave and Eddie wandered towards the Cinema, fresh from the thrills of the "Towering Inferno" the previous week, they just knew that any film about "Star" and "Wars" would never catch on....."Load of bleeding nonsense I expect" muttered Eddie....."Who wants to watch a film about a bear and a robot........"

On his last day at work, Ben had one final trick up his sleeve after 17 years of devoted white line painting for Milleech Council....."I'll give them SLOW....." he thought.....

And just a couple of general shots.....

The run round loop in the yard with a view towards the goods shed.....

Shot along the High Street with white lining in place and bus stop...

Thanks everyone and see you all soon...

Gav.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”