Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Re: Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Postby Spavo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for that John you're a pal I would have never seen that....and your solution is spot on as I can't put a supporting pillar underneath as there is no room between the tracks...thanks again....I appreciate it and will get to that v. soon.

At the moment I am just making some stone steps cut out of a plaster mould that I was going to use for a wall...it will all become clear when I get the house backs further along but essentially the steps will be to bring the people from the higher level of housing down to the road for the shops and buses etc..

It's all a bit rough right now as scratchbuilding anything is not really my forte...but was fun to do....the hand rails are made out of solid copper wire from TV satellite cable bent to shape and painted....I'll then glue them to the side of the steps before placing them in the gaps in the wall on the layout.

More to come guys, thanks for looking.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi again,

So following on from the previous post...this is just to give you an idea about the steps and the different levels from the house backs to the roadway.....it's far from perfect but will certainly "make do" from my operating position which is a good 5 feet to the right of the location shown...

Now this is kind of on the finishing straight I can get back onto the layout now and come back to these areas when I feel the need to tinker!

Cheers and all the best.

Gav.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 am

The steps look really great, very realistic and in keeping. not sure about the lamps not being over the road though? :) I think they should swing round 180 degree's, personally.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks mate and yes in retrospect I think you are right, I think I was trying to be too clever as there is a path on the other side of the stone wall which I wanted to light......but yes methinks they'll need to be turned round to make more sense so thanks for the comment...this is what I have always loved about this site, constructive feedback....

I now have a to-do list...sort the bridge girder and turn the lights round onto the road...thank you guys...

Following on from the previous post here are just some general views of the entire area just to give a better feel for it...

Many thanks, enjoy and I'll see you all soon...

Gav.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 am

Well first, the artic parked on the pavement needs a pink sheet in his window! :o
Second, as you have extended the pavement out into the road for the stairs (quite rightly), it looks a bit odd (roadwise). The obvious would be to extend all pavement out the same (but destroys roadwidth), but it makes sense as a layby for the bus stop. So how about making the other layby areas white lined parking?

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 am

Looking great spavo. :)
Just one observation. Would there not be any bollards or railings on the jutting out pavement sections for public safety?
Just a thought ;)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Spavo

Re: Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge - Complete (ish)

Postby Spavo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am

Well a big Hi to everyone and an apology for not posting sooner or in more detail as the layout moved along.....there was no lack of mojo for the modelling, only work and life getting in the way, stupid illnesses and a new Grand-daughter to fit into the mix which was obviously the best bit of all!

I have been around these parts as much as I can keeping up with my fellow modellers work and output....as ever there is some stunning stuff here and I have very much enjoyed watching and reading. Apologies for not commenting on others' hard work more.

As far as my layout is concerned it is done. Yes there are always jobs to do and there is a little fine tweaking to be done here and there but those that know me know I love to run trains, period. I have always treated my layouts as luxury train sets and not as model railways as I simply don't possess the skills to match any of the quality output shown here and on other websites. A train set it is with all the mistakes and non-realistic entities that comes with that. I am happy with what I have produced and it runs perfectly which for me is the most important thing.

So onto the layout then, this final update is a little photo intensive but a picture paints a thousand words someone once said or something like that...

Starting from the Town scene at the North End of the layout....this is the town that covers the helix at that end of the layout. I have cut away a large part of the covering baseboard to create an incline and expose the helix near the top of the rise before the lines emerge on the other side of the tunnel into the station area.

Then moving towards the centre of the layout we can see up towards the town area from the middle...

And down towards the village end...

The Village area covers the other helix and this is far more scenery intensive...the road kind of makes sense from the village end of the layout, right along the high street, up into the town and then running down to the main station via a rather steep slope!

The whole layout is lit from end to end both the streets, buildings and station buildings, as well as yard lighting and all the usual such as buffer stop lights etc.

At work there was a recent Christmas competition so I ran a "Where's Santa" game for the kids....I didn't win but I did suddenly have a whole lot of new friends at work who wanted to pop round for a cuppa....(Oh and while I'm here could I take a look at the railway?) Of course....

The village area and pond are probably my favourite parts of the layout, there is a band playing on the bandstand with all the usual madness surrounding that with Police blocking the road, Ice Cream Van, people arguing and proposing....It took an age to complete but was well worth it looking back..

Grundy the Pie Makers factory is back making it's final appearance on any layout as it is so battered now...I chose to close it down into a ruin on this layout with workmen at the rear cutting up materials and the ex-workforce out front having a good old protest....I know the placards are in German! My stepdaughter saw these figures at some trade fair or another and thought of me which was kind....

And finally here are some purely gratuitous shots of the incline leading up into the station through the helix...

So that's all from me for now folks, I hope you enjoy the update and the pictures....that will be all my modelling done now for a few years until the step-son moves out and I am allowed access to a 15' x 15' loft conversion attic that the Management has already approved the building of a final railway, indoors and in the warm, not shivering in the garage.

I'll be here as ever watching and commenting more! Enjoy your railways and whatever you do make it fun.

Be kind.

All the very best,

Gav.

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am

Very nice Gav,

I and I am sure others too would have really enjoyed watching a blow by blow build, but such is life.

I have always treated my layouts as luxury train sets and not as model railways as I simply don't possess the skills to match any of the quality output shown here and on other websites. A train set it is with all the mistakes and non-realistic entities that comes with that.

There is nothing wrong with that approach, It's your show so sod what anyone else thinks.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Spavo, You vanish for far too long !!
Cracking distant night time photo, few people have enough of a lit town
to create such a scene.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm

It's a lovely looking layout, you should be very pleased with it, now it's
complete you can enjoy running sessions on it.

My favourite part is the back-to-back two-up two-down terraced houses.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 pm

What a splendid layout Spavo, you've captured so much in a relatively compact space. The terraced housing and tumble down pier are noteworthy areas of interest to me. Do you use YouTube? I'd certainly like to see some of those running sessions if you do.

Paul

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Thanks for the extensive set of pics, it looks great, no one said a layout has to be ultra detail, it's for you to enjoy, rule one. It still has lots of atmosphere and and gives a great impression (all you can ask for from a model), I particularly like the huge expanses of buildings, and am always gleeful when I see so many lights (pet favourite of mine). Also great to see multi levels and a 3 dimensional element and contoured landscape. Very impressive, well done, I know its taken many hours, but must be great fun to "play trains" with :D {any chance of a cuppa? Oh and while......... :wink: }

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 pm

What a fantastic layout and nicely done, one of many on this forum, the mimic boards are superb, make mine look awful in comparison. My wiring is like a rats nest, starts off at the turnouts all nice and neat but by the time it reaches the mimic board. :D

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:38 am

Thank you Everyone,

I am overwhelmed by the kind comments thank you....you're very kind. :oops: :oops:

Running the layout is really important to me so leaving some details aside to have a reliable running layout was really what I was after and have achieved this thankfully.

The layout is completely hands free thanks to all the points being automated and the clever use of magnets under the trackbed to uncouple the kadee's...this makes shunting the rolling stock and preparing the next train in my small freight yard a real pleasure with no need for the hand of god or leaning over the layout all the time.

Again I'm very grateful for the positive energy....I do have a Youtube channel and will endeavour to get some video up soon of some operations on the layout.

Many thanks,

Gav,

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Well someone has been busy! :P

Must say Gav, I do like your ‘new’ layout (well it is new to me ! :roll: ) Though there is a distinct lack of ‘Bareback Mountain’ or whatever it was called :lol:

Really like the way you used the helix idea and it is good to see you have produced a splendid set of control panels! 8) And a No14 bus! My dad and I used to catch that to Kensington to go to the Natural History Museum :wink:

Nice one mate, hope you and the family are well,

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”