Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
carnehan

Re: Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Postby carnehan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 am

Spavo, I have a real penchant for town scenics on a layout and yours is no exception. It looks great and is only enhanced more by those elegant brick retaining arches. Now painted, they look even better. I am a little frightened by all that wiring for the points control though - mind boggling! :shock:

Paul

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi spavo

You are doing some cracking work. This is the first time I've seen your layout and I must say you're doing a top job. You don't hang around either do you?! It seems like you've done so much in a short time frame.

I agree with your comments on metcalfe kits. I am using them too. Lovely way to spend an evening, assembling their kits. Doesn't put me off in the slightest though either. It's a quick and easy way to get the layout populated. I thought I would use them to get going then replace them but, to be honest, they are going to stay.

Well done and keep it up

Thanks
Dan

ETA: I think I have the same cast as you for the retaining wall. Any tips on which plaster to use and your technique please?
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks Paul...

Thanks for the positive vibes, the wiring is a bit of a bugger, not my forte as you can no doubt tell.....it all starts out nice and neat and then by the end well, you can see the results! Luckily everything is at least correctly colour coded and if I have problems I should be able to troubleshoot reasonably well, let's hope I never find out....! :shock:

And Dan,

Your comments are much appreciated...I am doing a little most days, hour or two at a time and seems certainly seem to be moving along nicely....the golden rule for me is only work on the layout when I have time so nothing get's rushed....

I am the same with the Metcalfe kits, I make them indoors in the warm with a cuppa and the wife has been enjoying making them lately as well although she takes an age to pick which curtains go with which colour front door and I'm not joking unfortunately!

The wall moulds have been a great success, I'm really happy with them......as far as tips are concerned I bought some decent quality plaster of paris off ebay, used a plastic bowl with an old spatula and used a 70/30 mix in favour of the plaster. The consistency is about the same for a batter mix, think yorkshire pudding or pancakes! I used an old dessert spoon to measure out the plaster. Stir well putting the water in the bowl first and pour the plaster all over the surface. You'll soon get used to how many spoonfuls of plaster and water you need for each mould so you don't waste too much. Once pouring into the mould, don't go right to the top of the mould, lay on a flat surface and tap the edge of the mould all the way round with the spoon to release any air pockets, then leave for at least 6 hours and release.

When complete sand all the edges with a gentle sanding block to make sure they sit flat and butt up to each other nicely and then wipe the edges with a cloth so the glue sticks properly. I used liquid nails to set them on the board but it was probably a mistake to use the same material to join them together on the edges as the paint hasn't gone on as I would like, still it's easy to hide with lichen etc and the effect is quite realistic for lime scale running down the brickwork. In retrospect some ordinary filler would have been better for the side joins.

I used a thickish brown wash for the base coat then a thin black wash over the whole surface while the brown was still wet to dull down and run into some of the mortar grooves etc. It's trial and error really but you soon get the hang of it. Finally make sure you mix up enough paint for all the moulds so the colour remains consistent, oh and do one mould at a time so the black wash mixes into the brown a little before it dries.

I managed to end up making 2 moulds per day by the end but one a day is fine, there's no rush.

Hope this helps and thanks for the interest.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks for the tips on moulding Gav. Appreciate you taking the time to type such a detailed response.

I am similar to you in that I spend an hour or two most nights in my shed. I haven't been as disciplined with keeping my layout updates coming but will have to have a big one when I get round to it.

Thanks again
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Another tip on the moulds. I give them a very light spray of water before I pour in the mix. This also helps spread the mixture into the corners, and with my moulds, the teeth of each tile that connects to the next. You can also just moisten them under the tap and shake.
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Cheers Guys much appreciated....

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi Everyone and a little Saturday morning update for you...

To take a break from the tedium of installing and painting plaster arches I have made a start on the signal box area by the main yard....it's the usual stuff with a Metcalfe kit and some little random buildings. The rocky outcrop in the background is just some foam cut into layers and glued down, then polyfilla over the top and painted the same colours as the retaining wall, this is to give the impression this is the same stone the walls were made from....it's all coming together quite nicely for a start, plenty to finish here with detailing and paints but the overall feel is good.....

Many thanks all and see you soon,

Gav.

manna

Postby manna » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:59 pm

G'day Gents

Looking good, but to be a bit pedantic. Surely the railway boundary would be the retaining wall behind the signal box, so the fence in front of the signal box is superfluous and restricts the signalman. Sorry.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Ha ha don't you worry mate it's a fair point and to be fair the fence should probably go behind the water tower as well!!

No need to apologise fella, it's all good....

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well it's been a long time since an update but that's Christmas and New Year for you, there's always something getting in the way.

So the past couple of months have been spent making yet more houses for the main street.....yet more terraced house fronts and shops to complete the long row, I have also been making a fair few terrace backs kits for the slightly raised section to the left of the main board, photo's to follow and following on from this I have been able to start to create the tunnel mouth and entrance to the station from the left hand side.

It's all been a bit slow due to having to build all the Metcalfe kits but it's finally done and I can push on a little now. My "timetable" is almost ready for the layout and as usual I will be using a card system for the train movements, these have also been prepared and printed.

Here's a couple of photo's showing the beginnings of the tunnel mouth with the Superquick 2 road engine shed just to the right. In the background at the very back are the terrace backs on their own slightly raised board with the roadway in front which forms the bridge over the mainlines. In time, when I have made the big "hats" for the Helix, the road will feed from the cover of the Helix down onto this roadway.

Thanks for looking and I'll see you all soon..

Gav.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Looks good to me. Those old Superquick engine sheds look the part. :)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm

dan8400 wrote:Hi spavo
You are doing some cracking work. This is the first time I've seen your layout and I must say you're doing a top job. You don't hang around either do you?! It seems like you've done so much in a short time frame.

Well done and keep it up

Thanks
Dan

I can only echo dan's comments and add great track weathering. I like the raised street idea too, works well and although not new, I have never seen a MR street that long before! :D Amazed at the rate you are going, phenomenal progress compared to most of us!. I really like your control panels, very impressive (and brave), I cant wait to get spaghetti knitting myself.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks guys for the kind comments...it's much appreciated...more to come soon...well soonish anyway! :D

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 am

Hi again,

Just a little update, the oil fuel tanks are going in and although there is a whole lot of detailing to do (Hoses etc) I am happy with the location of them and the nice little diorama I have built around them.

As ever although this isn't the greatest modelling in the world, I tend to use a large amount of differing scatters etc for ground cover, it is looking ok and hides a nasty corner of the layout where the mainlines turn into the tunnel and under the road.

Don't even ask why I posed a kettle by the oil point for the photo but hey ho....

And finally I have just been adding some more detail and weathering to the South Tunnel entrance....yet again, no idea why the 2 road engine shed has a load of concrete wagons inside...

So that's all my updates for a while, next chance I get I need to make a real effort in getting the pathways and detailing down at the rear of the terrace backs, the steps built and installed and then that part of the road painted and finished.

Thanks to all and I'll see you soon,

Gav.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Gav, I don't want to put a damper on a nice bit of scenic work, a very nice corner with the loco shed, house backs etc but the bridge is in danger of falling down! Any join between two girder spans needs to be supported, hanging it off the adjacent girder and hoping the weight will counterbalance the unsupported span is pushing one's luck a bit too far. It looks to me as though you could cut the centre panel out of the girder which is half hidden by the wall and splice it into the middle of the span which would then reach the nice supporting stone wall on the left. "Ya canna defy the laws o' physics cap'n!"
Just the same, keep it up, the odd mistake proves you are doing things not just dreaming of what you might do
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”