Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Postby Spavo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Hello Everyone and it's great to be back sharing a new layout build.

Parsons Cross Junction is in tribute to my late great father-in-law Harry Parsons.

After many years of renting in Spain and the U.K. and building a few temporary layouts it is a great feeling to be back in my own property and in a position to build a permanent layout that I know will be there for many years to come.

The garage at my property has been completely renovated, sealed, painted and generally looked after, damp, heat and general "Garage" issues should not be a problem.

The lower board is made from 18mm exterior ply and the top board will be 12mm exterior ply with all the necessary bracing and support.

Parsons Cross Junction will be a stunted "L" shape layout on 2 levels using 3/4 radius Helix at each end. DCC. And all the usual mixture of Bachmann, Hornby and Heljan steamers and early diesels.

The layout will consist of a lower fiddle yard with 10 roads for storage and run-through and a top board consisting of mainline station, yard and freight reverse lines.

The overall size of the layout is 540cm x 100cm with the dog leg at one end to accommodate the 2nd helix.

With my previous attempt of a home-made helix being somewhat of a trial, I have decided to go for the excellence of Model Rail Solutions in providing the 2 x Helix this time to ensure reliable running.

Some progress has already been made on the lower boards and I will feature photo's later but for now here are a couple of Anyrail screenshots to give you the overall impression of the layout.

Lower "Milleech" fiddle yard. (Milleech is some simple wordplay on my wife Michelle's name)

And here is the upper board...

As you can see the top board simply covers the bottom board and I have made sure there will be plenty of access at each end to facilitate cleaning, derailments and the like.

The two track plans are somewhat schematic although pretty close as to what the actual track will look like.

Here are some track pics of the fiddle yard, all Peco medium and curved points, code 100 flexitrack.

The bus wire is already installed and connected underneath and all points have been fitted with Seep PM1 motors.

Both control panels are made and ready for attachment when the top board is installed. They were very enjoyable to make, push to make switches will operate the points and all led's are ready for route setting.

Here is the panel for the fiddle yard...

And the one for the station, or top board if you like....

I have used some off-cuts of facia board for the panel which was very easy to work with, then printed out the trackplan on anyrail, laminated the sheets and fixed them to the facia before drilling. I'm pretty happy with the result.

And finally as anyone who knows me will be aware, my layouts always have a "train set" feel about them which I actually enjoy and don't see it as a derogatory comment, and as such, card kits will form a large part of the scenics as is usual on this layout.

Just for fun, here are some examples that I've produced so far...

So sorry for the enormous 1st post but that's you all up to date....tomorrow I am off to Poole to collect the Helix and a slow build will continue, what I have posted here is about 4 months work so there won't be too many sudden updates, but as I go I'll share as ever..

Peace and Love, any questions fire away...

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

manna

Re: Parsons Cross Junction - Garage Dwelling In OO Gauge

Postby manna » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:26 am

G'day Gents

Looking Good, so nice to have somewhere to have a permanent layout, looking forward to your updates.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 am

What a cracking first update Gav, I was totally enthralled from start to finish. The workmanship
so far is second to none and as for the panels, well, to say I am impressed is an understatement.

This is definitely one to watch, keep the updates coming.

Jim.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:01 am

I suspect you are a bit like me, only think about taking photographs when you have finished something, but it's nice to see the progress. You obviously like control panels!
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks guys for the positive comments....it's much appreciated.

And you're dead right there bufferstop, I do like to have something to show when I update. As for the control panels yes, I like them! Lol! Especially not having done anything like it in the past so was a real challenge, let's see how much I like them when I am trying to connect them into the layout wires!!!

See you again soon guys and thanks once again.

Gav.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:08 pm

let's see how much I like them when I am trying to connect them into the layout wires!!!

Ah the old spaghetti knitting, all the more fun if you have to do it upside down, I once dropped a wire when terminating a 100 pair cable, 90+ wires to unsolder and move up one, just glad they were soldered not wire wrapped. :oops:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Oh my god!! That sounds horrific! I have reasonable space to the sides where my panels are going so not upside down, however, chickens, hatched and count spring to mind!!

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update to say that the 1st helix is up and running, it went together a dream but is big! To use 4/3 radius curves the base needs to be around 124cm square!

Lovely engineering though from Model Railway Solutions and once you have a flat and base level to work on you're half way there....here are some pics.

So that's all done then and there is the other one to go.

Of interest I have also added some isolated sections to the fiddle yards which will be under the main layout board, this means I can automatically stop loco's in the fiddle yard without having to worry about overshooting the stopping points and fouling other roads.

I will also add LED's to the isolated sections to show on the fiddle board, simply so I know which roads are live, I'll use push on push off buttons for this.

Thanks guys, that's all for now.

Gav.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:21 pm

That's a very commendable result for only 4 months!

I do like flowing curves - particularly the slight "kink" in the fiddle yard that takes the track past that pillar/post on the right.

Probably going to kick myself for asking this - but what do the "D" and "H" stand for on the Parson's Cross Junction panel?

Oh, and that workbench has real character, and has no doubt seen some great action!

Looking forward to more.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:05 am

Thanks ex-pat that's really kind.....to answer the most important question 1st..the workbench...when I moved into the property last year I couldn't believe my luck! It's a wonderful old solid lump of junk in the nicest possible way! I love it and after a few suitably large screws were forced through its aged joints it's as good as new!

And I should have explained the D & H on the control panel...I have 4 of these rather wonderful Dapol operating signals... 2 x distant and 2 x home.....

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=prod ... uct_id=482

With the 2 central roads of the main station being the through roads I just thought these signals would make a perfect addition to the station limits (distant) and the end of the platforms on the up and the down roads. (Home)

As the control panel didn't really have the space for the operating push buttons in the correct places I just decided to add them at the bottom and I'll add proper labels later. I saw these signals at a recent show and I was mightily impressed, they really are lovely looking.

Thanks again, more updates to come soon hopefully..

Gav.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:05 am

Good - I'm not embarrassed after all! (I didn't know whether they were modern DCC abbreviations!)

Yes, the Dapol link merits closer inspection of their stand at Warley in November - it's a stand that I've never bothered with in the past. Hope you've tested yours - that 27/06/16 review rather rings alarm bells?

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:06 am

Yes all tested and all 4 are working fine, they really are lovely looking pieces of kit and work really well.

Thanks Ex-pat,

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:10 am

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd drop in with a little update for everyone, holidays and work have got in the way a little but I have got a fair bit done when time has allowed...

The 2nd Helix is complete and was really enjoyable to make after the 1st one...

Here is the long view of the North end of the layout....

The top boards have now started to appear and the track starting to go down...

As a small aside a couple of people have asked me about drilling holes through the top board for point motors and dcc droppers and keeping all the debris from dropping onto the points and track underneath...my method is to use a large paint lid, the large plastic ones you get on exterior paint, these have quite a large lip round the edge so when you position this on the lower board underneath whetever you are drilling most or all of the debris drops into it. Hope that helps.

More updates soon everyone, all the best,

Gav.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:11 am

I thought I had commented on this layout before but it would appear I hadn't. How remiss of me! It's brilliant. I love the sweeping curves of the track (and that's just the fiddle yard :shock: ) and it's very easy to get swept away by a (an?) helix. I can't wait to see the track go down on the upper level. Great work and a thread well worth returning too.

Paul

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 am

Spavo,

Great to see you back on the layout builders list.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”