Renwick- a 8x4 00 layout 1960s ish

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
seejay1234

Renwick- a 8x4 00 layout 1960s ish

Postby seejay1234 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:03 am

Hey I have been a long time observer on this forum looking with envy at all the fantastic layout out there.
Well over the last couple of weeks I have got my act together and starting building my layout!
Named after the town I live in in New Zealand.
Based along the back wall of the garage and a 8x4 (I know) but able to slide forward when the cars aren't there so I can have access to the back while operating.

My aim was to provide 2 lines for continuous running with a central branch line with station for operational intrest. Largely passenger focused with little provision for shunting etc.
Other factors where it had to be pretty easy to maintain and build as I'm unfortunately working long hours; and that the electrics had to be as simple as possible, as in my experience these are the things that cause headaches and loss of enjoyment of the layout as a whole.

Ultimately here is what i have come up with although this has been edited several times since construction began.

As you can see the upper layer is not connected with the lower level, I found it was just too limiting trying to build an incline on 8x4 and I plan to keep this upper layer DC while the lower level will be DCC.
The upper level track is really there to give the kids something to operate (thomas etc) while I play with my trains!

Construction is coming along nicely.

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

As you can see the track is all laid, wiring and bus is completed and the few points are all motorised and working.
I have started on some of the scenic areas and ballasting although they still need a little work.

Anyway just thought I would share what I'm doing.
Any feedback advise or anything else is most appreciated and I will try keep this updated.

CJ

Dad-1

Re: Renwick- a 8x4 00 layout 1960s ish

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:36 am

I do like the corner filler, making things like that (to me) is much more
fun than running trains !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:19 am

What a great idea to give the kids thier own running line ! :)
The filled corner looks great with lots of attention to detail, reminding me I must get on with mine. :oops:
Can I ask, is the white cottage scratch built or available to buy? The roof from the photos looks almost like real thatch.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:07 pm

I really like the way the scenery is coming on!

Just a thought, in case you haven't already laid (as it were)
How about OO9 for the upper loop and sidings?
You'd have room to lay more than just a geometric circle and Sodor railways need not be excluded from this.
popping a face on a 3D printed body over a Kato tram motor bogie.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

seejay1234

Postby seejay1234 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks for the replies

I like the idea of 009 for the upper layer, will do my research and get back to it.

The cottage is a hornby scaldale one (one of their nicer products) though I have done some gentle weathering and highlights on the roof.

I always find I have to do some scenic bits to break up all the wiring and point work, which is important but at least i find a bit dull.

CJ

seejay1234

Postby seejay1234 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:28 am

So had some time to work on the layout and things are coming along nicely. Still lots of touching up to do and add final details but the basics of the first scenic area are done.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

CJ

seejay1234

Postby seejay1234 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:50 am

Figured I'd put up a few running shots

Currently running in a new bachmann derby lightweight, very nice model and runs very well.

Otherwise working on some arches for the retaining well to make it look a little more realistic.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

CJ

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:25 am

seejay1234 wrote:Otherwise working on some arches for the retaining well to make it look a little more realistic.

CJ

All nice!

I was wondering why the upper layer had come out so high... I couldn't quite see the reason, ( necessitating the massive wall)

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

seejay1234

Postby seejay1234 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:46 am

Work has been far to busy of late to get any real work done on the layout, although that dosent mean I havent been spending money!
2 baby deltics arrived a day or so ago (after a very good deal from a certain retailer) and a dapol class 52 in maroon with a rake of mk1s has just arrived today!
As for the wall, it will be trimmed down a little but I have given myself lots of clearance to the bottom layer which would allow for tract work to be completed underneath if any issues arise. Also means that from the rear access trains are easy to access and can easily decouple and swap locos and trains from the rear (since I dont have space for a proper fiddle yard.

CJ

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”