Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
railwayjim

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Postby railwayjim » Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 am

You're a better man than me tackling your own window build.
I cop out and use lcut designs laser ones. You have made a very
good looking sash Ex-Pat, should imagine their time consuming though.

As for the fit, looks about right to me, as for the slight gap between
frame and wall, I usually give the area of clear plastic outside the frame
a coat of matt black which takes away the daylight showing through, especially
if you are going to add lighting, just a thought!

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 am

Hi Ex-Pat - join the window frame masochists club :lol: I have lost count of the number I have made, they are not to terrible, it just gets tedious when you have to make several of the same pattern for one building. I must in future remember to make the buildings around the size of the available windows, usually I end up doing my own because I have ended up with a completely non-standard size.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

manna

Postby manna » Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 am

G'Day Gents

I make mine this way, glue the clear plastic to the window opening then fit the white frame to the clear plastic, the clear plastic won't move and your guaranteed to have the frame fit.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks all.

railwayjim - think I could get it down to around 20 to 30 minutes with practice and no complications - a nice tip about the matt black coating! However I shan't be venturing into lighting the buildings.

luckymucklebackit - thats' the problem with trying to do a prototype building - they're hardly bog-standard.

manna - yes, I see the benefit of doing it your way, unless you get it wrong of course.

And I've got it wrong with this second window! This is directly attributable to having no actual official drawing of the buildings in question. I have had to prepare my own drawing from photographs (unfortunately all taken at angles rather than head-on, and thereby leaving much scope for misinterpretation and error.

P1080050.JPG
The longer sides of each pane should run vertically and not horizontally

Quite clearly I need to re-think the dimensions of the opening for the window and probably use a thinner frame section.

I only hope that the window sizes I have arrived at for the commissioned frames are more accurate than this one. Luckily the 16 loco shed windows dimensions are taken from an official drawing, so they should be OK.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi Ex-Pat. Regarding the inside of the Coal Drop Building at Hawick, I have looked through my books about North British Railway and Hawick in particular. I cannot find any information of any tracks on the upper level, nor any pictures of the inside.

I shall continue to look.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun May 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks glencairn - I think it's rather "Mission Impossible" trying to find a solitary photo of the interior - I am just grateful that I've come across 2 of the exterior.

I sincerely hope you are more successful!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu May 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Thanks glencairn - I think it's rather "Mission Impossible" trying to find a solitary photo of the interior - I am just grateful that I've come across 2 of the exterior.

I sincerely hope you are more successful!

Hi Ex-Pat. I have 'trawled' through my books on NBR and LNER. I found no mention nor photographs of any interiors of Coal Drop Buildings. Sorry.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu May 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for trying glencairn.

Ex-Pat

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC) - Stressful Times!

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Well, I always knew that the World Cup would interfere with progress, but I hadn’t reckoned on being beset with further coaling stage warping problems with the whole back wall bowing in considerably.

This was far from motivational, so I just left it alone and not only completed the long outstanding Kirk coach kit, but also started and completed a further such kit.

Finally in December I confidently alighted on the solution of gluing a strip of 2.4mm brass square section along the bottom of the wall. After all, square section just doesn’t bend!

P1080450.JPG
– The 2.4mm square section is glued in place and pinned down with drawing pins.

Then I could scarcely believe it as this too bowed in again after a few days. Strange forces at work I thought - how I wish I had been a stress engineer!

P1080494.JPG
– 6 days later and you can see how the brass has actually worked itself upwards in the middle despite having been pinned down securely for at least 2 days!

I then decided to try a much sturdier 4mm square section and used the 2.4 mm section along the top of the wall.

P1080497.JPG
- The 4mm square section has finally solved the problem

So what next?

I still need to re-site the coaling ramp line (but this is one stage nearer having finally bought some more closed cell foam at Warley). When that is done I shall be able to ascertain the final position of the coaling stage, and proceed to finish its construction (and then painting, Jim (Millsend)!).

I have also received a lovely fret of bespoke windows for the shed offices and the loco shed from Scale Model Scenery.

P1080447.JPG
– Where do I start?!

Finally, how have I resisted mentioning J36’s until now? My workbench has seen some action, and I will post further very soon.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi Ex Pat - I was wondering what had happened to your structure!! Sorry to hear about the warping, nothing worse than when a building doesn't go to plan like that, good to see that you have overcome the problems, looking forward to seeing progress now.

But blaming the World Cup :D Just like the Scots that went to Argentina and forgot to come home :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 am

Looks like the warping problem was eventually overcome thankfully.

Engine shed windows look brilliant, another build to look forward to.

And Ah yes 'the painting', I'm still looking forward to seeing it painted, it will transform
what looks like a good structure now into something unique and special.

Jim.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:07 pm

There's two ways I've found to avoid warping, sticking a "balancing sheet" on the other side, or bonding to something with a great depth, eg joining the bottom of a wall to a floor, that's a bit difficult with the free standing wall of a goods or loco shed, unless you have pre planned and can put in a floor with rails on top.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

manna

Postby manna » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 pm

G'Day Gents

Can we go back to the "Lolly Stick's" !!!!! :lol: :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks both Jims.

Bufferstop wrote:There's two ways I've found to avoid warping, sticking a "balancing sheet" on the other side, or bonding to something with a great depth, eg joining the bottom of a wall to a floor, that's a bit difficult with the free standing wall of a goods or loco shed, unless you have pre planned and can put in a floor with rails on top.

Thanks Bufferstop - I did actually pre-plan and dismissed using floors with rails on top as that would render that type of building immoveable, and I am still hoping to move some year.

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Can we go back to the "Lolly Stick's" !!!!! :lol: :lol:

manna

Thanks manna - I keep thinking about your lolly sticks, but there's probably not enough clearance between the inside of the wall and the coaling ramp line.

Ex-Pat

At last a “proper” engine for Hawick.

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 pm

Whilst in England at Christmas I was lucky enough to pick up the last Hornby J36 held by C M Models Carlisle, plus a further one at Hattons. It really is a stunning model. But they both have to be modified as the Hawick examples included tender cab shelters of no less than 3 different designs. (These were an absolute necessity for protection against the foul weather encountered when returning light engine whilst on banking duties to Whitrope.)

P1080571.JPG
This is “Haig” straight from the box.

P1080582.JPG
This is it after modification.

I have covered the work involved in my Workbench thread (viewtopic.php?f=49&t=51636&start=15#p664194)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”