Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm

That's more like the price I would expect to pay for a performance adhesive, I had googled it and come up with this at £22!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hypo-Cement-Applicator-Variety-Delivery/dp/B076BD155R/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1522335710&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=g-s+hypo+cement&psc=1 but on a second viewing I see that it is for a pack of 4! :oops:

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:32 pm

I use Revel Contacta, perfect for styrene, but does not "weld" some of the bar stock I get from China. I Use bostik for most things, but it is to thick to use on fiddly parts, so always open to idea's, just found G-S Hypo Cement on ebay for £6.17 for 2 tubes, so ordered it!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:17 pm

More stunning work being produced Ex-pat, it is no doubt a labour of love.

Paul

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:40 pm

Time for a quick “site-test” - the height seems to be ok (and of course the foam underlay can be adjusted if necessary). I did however find that the coal wagon line was slightly “out” and therefore removed it. (I recall when first installing it that I pinched on space a bit by trying to keep it away from the edge of the baseboard – I shouldn’t have compromised in the first place after all!) I'll re-instal the wagon line when I've built the body of the coaling stage.

P1070806.JPG

P1070808.JPG

PHM-64g- Coaling Stage-cropsilhouette.jpg
This photo has a wealth of detail that I am trying to replicate.

P1070786.JPG
These are the constituent parts for the “shutters” or whatever they may be called.

P1070804.JPG
The “shutters” have been completed (but will need to be cut down to size to reflect the different opening positions) and the drop-down platforms and side walls have been scribed. The supporting pillars have been drilled ready for the safety rails, pulley wheels and “shutter” arms.

T.B.C.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:54 pm

It's starting to come to life now, great detail on the shutter and wall work.
Looking just like the real thing.

What are you using for the roof slates Ex-Pat and also will you use an airbrush
or brush paint it once complete?

Jim.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks Jim – the roof tiling is a toss-up between Slater’s roof tiles (I have a sheet of 0425 Red tiles purchased without the coaling stage in mind, or else I would have bought grey instead), and using the method described in the DVD shown above (will have to refresh myself on that one!).

Painting is a long way off yet – I have an airbrush which I only used once (with enamel paint) and found the smell over-powering. So I thought I would wait until I moved house and when I could have an extractor put in – but such a move seems a good way off at present. When the decent weather comes I will try acrylic paint outside and see how it turns out. The timber support posts might however benefit from a hand-paint to leave them “rough & ready”.

The next instalment:

P1070805.JPG
The pulley wheels were fashioned from a couple of Ian Kirk coach bogie mounting pivot pins by “turning” them down in a mini drill against a needle file, and then cutting them off, drilling through and fixing to lace pins threaded through the pillars.

P1070823.JPG
The pillars are screwed to an Evergreen square section that has had its front face removed so that the side walls are in the same plane as the top horizontal timber beam

P1070821.JPG
The various parts (bit like a kit!) are laid out whilst I steel myself for assembly. The insides of the 2 end sections have been strengthened with vertical square sections, and the horizontal square sections are placed so that they lie at the correct height on the base structure, the idea being to make the top body removeable (although I haven’t yet worked out where the steps will be attached – to the base or the body).

P1070822.JPG
Thanks to luckymucklebackit’s thread I have become aware of Daler Rowney mounting board, and have used it to strengthen the inside of the walls .

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Wow, you really have planned this out step by step and its showing in the construction. I know I don’t have that sort of forward planning in me.

Pau

manna

Postby manna » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:48 pm

G'Day Gents

Excellent looking building, and, as has been said,a lot of forward planning has gone in to this build, but what about council planning permission, it's almost big enough to warrant it !!!!!!! :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 pm

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
, but what about council planning permission, it's almost big enough to warrant it !!!!!!! :D

manna

Well I won't tell 'em if you won't!

And thanks Paul - however we all know too well that planning can go awry!

Next mini instalment:

P1070824.JPG
The first 2 pieces are tentatively cemented together...

P1070825.JPG
.. and strengthened in the top corner.

P1070826.JPG
The other end is now cemented in place and the long front wall is assembled, however not without problems, as the screws for the pillars and cut-away front face have created stress that bends the horizontal top square section out of true. I only hope that I will be able to cure it, or at least minimise it.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 pm

That looks impressive. Things are coming along nicely by the look of it.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Ex-Pat - I dare say that if you were able to measure up the original you would find a few surfaces out of true, I'm sure that you will be able to add some bracing to critical points in order to correct the distortion. Looks like it is quite a big building.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:33 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hi Ex-Pat - I dare say that if you were able to measure up the original you would find a few surfaces out of true, I'm sure that you will be able to add some bracing to critical points in order to correct the distortion. Looks like it is quite a big building.

Jim

Yes Jim - when I started to put it together I was surprised at how big it suddenly started to look. It's 6" wide, 12½" long and 4½" high.

As far as bracing goes I am thinking of supplementing the roof formers with a spacer between the 2 long walls that is screwed in on both walls - there is too much stress for the formers themselves to do the job using MekPak alone (it won't set quickly enough to prevent the walls from slipping back out of true again).

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 am

Well, I have to say Ex-Pat, that really does look good. You must be pleased with how it looks.

As for it looking big, I have felt the same on my builds, but after painting
out the white, the optical size definitely reduces.

I am sure you will overcome the warping problem, after all, if you are
capable of this quality of scratch building, correcting the warping will be
an easy fix :wink:

Jim.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks Jim - I nearly mentioned in my last post "of course it's nowhere near as big as railwayjim's".

The problem and likely cure can be summarised as:

P1070827.JPG
The bowing along the top wall is evident as you can see the edge of the plywood base at both ends.

P1070828surgeryneeded.jpg
The "easy fix" (as you put it) is likely to entail partially (or even completely) severing the top square horizontal at the 2 black arrow points and inserting a screwed crossbar where the red bar is.

This will require a wholesale de-construction of the roof formers.

The salutary lesson learned is to correct stress before building around it! It certainly won't go away on its own.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:52 pm

P1070829.JPG
The main “kink” point (the upper black arrow above) was attacked almost to severance

P1070831.JPG
and resulted in a much more acceptable offering.

P1070832.JPG
To ensure that it stayed straight during re-construction I screwed through the top horizontal in 2 places. Original thoughts were to use filler in the screwhead, but now I’m of a mind to take the screws out altogether (in the assumption that the Mekpak won’t now come apart!), and fill the screwholes. Safety rails were put in – my photo suggests they suffered wear & tear bending over time.

P1070834.JPG
The boarding below each of the “shutters” has been added (except for the one that is open for wheeling the coal out to above the tenders), and 2 of the “shutters” have been suspended (the gaps are supposed to be there).

P1070835.JPG
One of the “shutter” operating arms is loosely assembled prior to gluing in place and snipping off the surplus pin length.

T.B.C.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”