Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
railwayjim

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post by railwayjim »

I remember many moons ago saying, 'can't wait to see paint on it'.
Well that time has come and it certainly looks the business. You deserve an Ex-Pat on the back :D
Your time on this model has paid dividends and as for not having colour pics to turn to, I would recommend
very grimy, but than again 'I would'.
Thanks for sharing Mike.
Cheers Jim.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Many thanks Daniel and railwayjim (nice to hear from you again Jim – any layout on the go?!).

The painting is now well advanced although I might have gone too “wash happy” at times and I have to correct a couple of areas.
This was the initial primer coat.
This was the initial primer coat.
Trick of the light -looks darker than it actually is - not yet happy with it.
Trick of the light -looks darker than it actually is - not yet happy with it.
Minimal weathering applied so far - didn't want to overdo it.
Minimal weathering applied so far - didn't want to overdo it.
Nice green pipes about to lose their shine!  They will look very different in their next phase.  I'm not even sure whether they were green in real life, but they will become heavily "smoked" and "sooted" .
Nice green pipes about to lose their shine! They will look very different in their next phase. I'm not even sure whether they were green in real life, but they will become heavily "smoked" and "sooted" .
Roof needs a bit more weathering? (Optical illusion - the blue is actually dark slate grey!
Roof needs a bit more weathering? (Optical illusion - the blue is actually dark slate grey!
The next post will reflect heavier weathering all round.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Really looking the business now Ex-Pat, fantastic work, looking forward to seeing it in position.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I agree with Jim. looking good.

A minor point. The green pipes were actually grey like any other pipes on buildings in the area. 'No fancy paintwork'. :) The lamp is excellent. The bulb in it would be smoky to be as next to pointless - unless someone put a new one in.

Looking forward to further instalments.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

That's certainly looking very, well, I was going to say smart but that doesn't seem right somehow - very ramshackle, in a good way! Likewise I look forward to seeing it in place on the layout. :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Many thanks luckymucklebackit, glencairn, flying scotsman123 & also Daniel (in your own thread).

Wish I’d known about the grey pipes before I launched into the green - I was persuaded towards green by the North British section of:

https://stationcolours.com/scotland (even though the pipes on one station appear to be brown and those on the other station are a shade of cream!).

I could have just black-washed the grey primer instead of painting them green (which I rather like, but will have to go by glencairn’s advice, and repaint in grey!).

I had already decided to weather the lightbulbs in due course. I am also going to add some coal “droppings” to the coaling platform.

So these photos are still at a further work-in-progress stage.
More heavy weathering on the “business” side is now evident.
More heavy weathering on the “business” side is now evident.
The green pipe has been heavily toned down – just a pity it should never have been green in the first place!
The green pipe has been heavily toned down – just a pity it should never have been green in the first place!
IMG_0215 (2).JPG (78.93 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Got rid of the blue-rinse look and the roof now looks better.
Got rid of the blue-rinse look and the roof now looks better.
Oh well – out with the paint again!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Sorry to spoil things, Ex-Pat. The green did look good.

By the 1950s Britain was in austerity after the war and rashioning was still at the forefront. Spending money on paint green or any other colour is not an option. Any paint being done seemed to be British Railways black. lol.

Carry on the great work.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Agree with Glencairn about the paint.....But, nothing got painted after the War, so anything painted
Pre War, stayed that colour, for instance, a platform light at Kings Cross (Platform 16) was painted green in 1937, and was still in green in 1976, it was demolished soon after. You have to ask yourself, what colour did the NBR paint everything, and did the LNER repaint it !!!! Red lead, and a top coat of grey was very prevalent around north London in the late 50's.

Regardless of it's intended duties, it's a Great looking building, will there be a bit of 'Dim' lighting inside ??

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Chops

Post by Chops »

Beautiful piece.
Nessie rocks!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I would definitely go for black drab for the downpipes, chances are they would have been cast iron and would have corroded readily, with the paint peeling off to reveal a dark brown/black corroded surface that would have been at the bottom of the list for maintenance. A bit of brown rust weathering would finish things off nicely.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks glencairn, manna ,Chops & Jim.

A few coats and washes later, I have arrived at this stage.
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
I have covered the construction of the Coaling Tub in my Workbench thread at
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 06#p687005

The grey shows up too strongly in places so I think I still need to blacken the drainpipes more? (There is some rust there at the pipe collars Jim, but it isn't coming out that well in the photos!)

Just tried another photo from a different angle and it doesn't show the pipe to be so grey!
IMG_0264.JPG
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

I think I chose just the right moment to pop back in and check up on progress on Hawick. What a magnificent build and all done in such speedy time. :lol:

Mike, your attention to detail all along this build has been exceptional and well worth those painstaking efforts. Magnificent work and no doubt you have one or two more details to add.

Paul
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I like how your work is evolving.
Because I like it I want tu suggest two things regarding painting/weathering

Those chains would lookj great with touches of graphite in the places where they are often touched by people or things.
For that there are two simple options: graphite powder or an B9 graphite pencil. Both available in an artist's materials shop or, of course, throughj internet.

The second tip is less secure because I have no idea of the wear and weathering in the modelled region and I know that weathering develops not the same at the middle of the Sahara and at the middle of Matto Grosso. But one thing is certain, the weathering on wooden structures makes walls look pretty different along their top and along their bottom line.
Such a good built model deserves a little research in the net but in general my impression is that wooden walls shows more of the original paint colour above and much lighter shades at the bottom.
In the same line the expossed piers mus have an own weathering process in real life and would be interesting to find out and give a couple of dry pastel shades a chance.
I understand that because the post WWII period, these buildings didn't get paint for many years. That must have had a noticeable effect regarding weathering.

Working with dry pastels is extremlly simple and yopu always have the chance to remove what you don't like with a humid piece of cotton or a brush.

There is always a chance that I am talking non-sense and if that is the case just drop this message.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks Paul ,& Daniel for the painting tips.

Unfortunately artist's materials shops are currently closed in Ireland, and we are not permitted to travel to Northern Ireland (only 16 miles away!) and where they are only open for another week (all subject to change of course!). The graphite will have to wait for a while - it certainly sounds interesting.

As far as the rest of the building goes I am being advised by a modeller who actually lived there at the time - I only wish that I had done!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Well, the let's try the Argentine way: if you don't have any A9; A8; A7, A6, A5; A4; A3: A2 pencil you ask any kid in your =neighborhood a small rest of an HB pencil.
It will neet slightly m,ore presuer but will work fine.
Eventually you can san a bit of the point and use the powder as you would use graphite powder.
If also that is not possible find in your toolbox the rest of that carpenter pencil you bnougfht nineteen years ago and sand a b it of it's point.
If your tool box is not findable take any old pencil you have and try it.

If none of that is possible send your friend Daniel Caso in Amsterdam a P.M. through this forum and he will be pleased to send you an A9 pencil by the post. :)

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.