Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Hawick via Grantham, Inverness and SIAM (00 gauge DC)

Post by Ex-Pat »

Many thanks for the kind offer Daniel - I'll find some somewhere.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Ex-Pat wrote:Many thanks for the kind offer Daniel - I'll find some somewhere.

:)

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Well I can scarcely believe it has been over 4 years since I ripped out the coaling stage ramp line in order to accommodate the turntable (https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 30#p617248)

So it's well overdue that I'm finally re-instating it and making sure the coaling stage will fit ok.
The section of track that actually runs through the coaling stage has already been laid, and the red feed wire poking through awaits soldering.  Anybody seen a stray black wire, because I can't find it?!
The section of track that actually runs through the coaling stage has already been laid, and the red feed wire poking through awaits soldering. Anybody seen a stray black wire, because I can't find it?!
The screws at the baseboard joints and to which the rails will be soldered before being severed are "set" by using a paper "feeler".  The screws are turned one eighth of a revolution at a time until the paper is "nipped" and I then reckon they are all at the right height.
The screws at the baseboard joints and to which the rails will be soldered before being severed are "set" by using a paper "feeler". The screws are turned one eighth of a revolution at a time until the paper is "nipped" and I then reckon they are all at the right height.
I've now laid and ballasted the track, and am waiting for it to dry. The next stage will then be to re-solder the current feeds and also the track to the screws, and then sever it.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Looking good, Ex-Pat. No more grumbling from Border Counties Engine Drivers having to run 'tender first'. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Ex-Pat

Very easy to overlook the small print!

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks glencairn.

Looking again at a photo of a loco at the coaling stage it seemed to me that the immediate foreground was more ash type dust than coal spillage, so I took another look at my track drawing and saw that I had missed the small print!
The drawing shows 2 Engine Pits on the coaling line (and rather interestingly “NO BUFFER” on both that line and the wagon ramp line – pity, as I was planning to put kit-built NBR buffers there!)  Those pits would explain why there was an abundance of ash dust.
The drawing shows 2 Engine Pits on the coaling line (and rather interestingly “NO BUFFER” on both that line and the wagon ramp line – pity, as I was planning to put kit-built NBR buffers there!) Those pits would explain why there was an abundance of ash dust.
I marked out the positions of the 2 pits with making tape (the coaling stage ramp line on the left has now been fully re-instated and tested).
I marked out the positions of the 2 pits with making tape (the coaling stage ramp line on the left has now been fully re-instated and tested).
and using a slitting disc I set about gouging out the sleepers, ballast and underlay.
and using a slitting disc I set about gouging out the sleepers, ballast and underlay.
The pits are now complete – it doesn’t matter that I haven’t cut through the baseboard to make them deeper, as they will be fairly full with ash.  Note that the sleeper ends are showing on the left side but are covered on the right side and where the ash came up to top of rail level .
The pits are now complete – it doesn’t matter that I haven’t cut through the baseboard to make them deeper, as they will be fairly full with ash. Note that the sleeper ends are showing on the left side but are covered on the right side and where the ash came up to top of rail level .
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

All coming together.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Great to see some "onsite" progress! :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Ex-Pat

Re: Ashes to ashes and all that.

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks manna & flying scotsman123.

I've been messing about trying to simulate the ash shown in this photo: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2949/1529 ... e346_b.jpg

Although it is American ash I hope it doesn't differ that much from UK ash!

I decided to use one-eighth inch cork as the base to be glued into the ash pits.
The cork has been covered with n gauge ballast heaps and then washed with various shades, and flecked with white and brown powders onto matt varnish.
The cork has been covered with n gauge ballast heaps and then washed with various shades, and flecked with white and brown powders onto matt varnish.
Any final adjustments (maybe a little more whitening) will be made after I have glued them in situ. I am acutely aware that because I haven't cut the pits that deep then they will look quite full of ash - this must have happened occasionally I tell myself!
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Digging out the ash pits, was a extra Sunday job, usually done on a rotation basis, it must be Saturday.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Digging out the ash pits, was a extra Sunday job, usually done on a rotation basis, it must be Saturday.

manna

At Hawick it was done every day. -------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Joking :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Glencairn
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Looking at the spoon, I am wondering if you are actually Uri Geller :lol:
Daniel

Re: Ashes to ashes and all that.

Post by Daniel »

Ex-Pat wrote:Thanks manna & flying scotsman123.

I've been messing about trying to simulate the ash shown in this photo: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2949/1529 ... e346_b.jpg

Although it is American ash I hope it doesn't differ that much from UK ash!

I decided to use one-eighth inch cork as the base to be glued into the ash pits.

IMG_0353.JPG

Any final adjustments (maybe a little more whitening) will be made after I have glued them in situ. I am acutely aware that because I haven't cut the pits that deep then they will look quite full of ash - this must have happened occasionally I tell myself!

It looks really very cinvincing, Ex-Pat.
You've done a very subtle job.
I wouldn't change a thing but just install it.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks manna – I won’t argue with Saturday, although in view of glencairn’s reply perhaps it’s a case of Jock McSlack hurting his back and being unable to carry out his daily duties!

Thanks glencairn – do you have any more detail of the procedures involved please? How was the ash disposed of? (I’ve been looking at OPC’s “LNER Sheds in Camera” and note many different designs of ashpit, and in particular St. Margaret’s depot had an inclined track alongside the ashpit going down into the ground for wagons to be held and loaded with the ashes – certainly not the case at Hawick!)

Thanks Dave – it just runs in the family - meet it’s bigger brother!
Ideal for scooping excess oil from the top in a tin of polyurethane paint!
Ideal for scooping excess oil from the top in a tin of polyurethane paint!
and thanks Daniel – I’m currently waiting for the PVA to dry and see what then needs to be done.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi Ex-Pat. The ash was loaded onto wagons and taken away. If the N B R did not use it themselves keeping weeds down etc., they would sell it other businesses. Some was used in the building of houses.

The wagons used to take the ash an clinker were old four wheelers, mainly three plank.

Hope that helps.

Glencairn
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks glencairn - most enlightening.

Merry Christmas and a Happy (perhaps even some exhibitions-full?) New Year to all.